Update

Meep

I had a long talk with the bariatrician, and also with my VSG surgeon (Headley) who is extremely skilled and competent. He trained under Dr. Prachand at U of C, and told me he absolutely would want me to see him specifically for the DS. As they already know each other really well it will make it easier on me, too. Regarding my weight loss, apparently I am theoretically expected to lose only ~40 more from the VSG statistics wise (they are very up front with this in my program). We discussed this pre-op, so no surprise there. I guess I was surprised that I really have actually lost 100+ since surgery. Time flies...

They told me to check my insurance, as there may be a waiting period for revisions, but to jump all over that as soon as I find out. It is typically 18 months, but I am 14-15 out so I may need to wait to start the process. I tried reading my policy and found all the requirements for revisions, but not any of the information regarding a waiting period for revision. They offered to help me find it during my next appointment, but I'm impatient, lol. I will look after I get some sleep since I just got home.

As for the chest pain, my sleeve is flawless, still tight, and has low acid. They think it's bile reflux, the celiac, lactose, or a combination of the three. While I lament the loss of my cream, I'll live. I'm tired of medical tests for now, so pausing the health train at the moment.

Other good news: insurance does cover basic reconstruction for the stomach/pubic area and chest. No augmentation, but hey, that saves a ton. I guess I will be keeping my job at least one more year, hopefully!

Overall this sounds like good news. And more good news, when your duodenum is divided for the DS, the portion that remains with your sleeve should not contain any bile because the bile drains from your liver much further downstream into the duodenum. So, if you do have bile reflux now, that should fix it. Just make very, very sure you get a real DS and NOT SADI as bile reflux is a potential complication of that operation.

BTW, while many people become lactose intolerant with the DS (or gastric bypass for that matter) we can handle stuff like cheese, butter, cream, etc because the lactose is already broke down in these products. I would say though that if you can't handle cream now, the DS won't improve this.

I recently read there may be an issue with your doc pushing SADI/Loop. Best of luck!

Dr. Headley knows I only want the two anastomosis procedure, and he will be talking to Prachand when I head over (if he hasn't already). The only reason I'd do the SADI (or the bypass) is if I had, literally, no other choice. I do think it's superior to the sleeve, but not the DS for obvious reasons. Thankfully I'm very well-read. I showed up top see Headley with like 1200 pages of studies about the DS thee first day I met him, so he's used to me being neurotic, though, lol.

I actually lucked out because without my knowing it, my bariatric center has a ton of staff who were trained to take care of, and are familiar with traditional DS patients even if they don't do the surgery there. My two doctors there promised me they will make sure I get the correct procedure. I've already been over the vitalady regimen and the lab schedule with their RD, too. I don't see her again till December, and I don't see Headley again until February, so I'm going to focus on getting my autoimmune antibodies down until then and improve my overall health if I can.

Overall this sounds like good news. And more good news, when your duodenum is divided for the DS, the portion that remains with your sleeve should not contain any bile because the bile drains from your liver much further downstream into the duodenum. So, if you do have bile reflux now, that should fix it. Just make very, very sure you get a real DS and NOT SADI as bile reflux is a potential complication of that operation.

BTW, while many people become lactose intolerant with the DS (or gastric bypass for that matter) we can handle stuff like cheese, butter, cream, etc because the lactose is already broke down in these products. I would say though that if you can't handle cream now, the DS won't improve this.

You are absolutely right, about making sure, Larra. I used to be a doormat many years ago, sadly. I learned the hard way we all have to advocate for ourselves in life. I wish I learned that a few decades ago in my 20's!!

I actually didn't know that about the DS/bile reflux! My own has improved since I cut out most of the lactose and went back to grainless eating. I am okay with giving up cream for the DS. Even if I only get down to 200 pounds, for me the trade off is absolutely worth it. I have other reasons it's a good idea - dairy is often bad for us Hashimoto's peeps anyway since the milk protein increases our autoimmunity like gluten does - so they say, anyhow. As long as I can get enough protein I don't care much about dairy's absence.

Latest posts

Back