Update on my colectomy - IT IS A GO FOR 10/20

Today we confirmed that I will be having my colectomy on 10/20 at 10 AM as Dr K will be moderation and Obesity conference NOLA the week of the 31st.. He rightfully didn't want to cut me and then immediately leave town....so game on for next Thursday

Fingers crossed and dog, betta fish, and 3 short humans ready to be swinging. Seriously, pal, I am hopeful that this procedure brings you much improved health. Glad your brother will be with you to help and talk with Dr K for himself too. Take it easy, safe travels.

Thanks sweet heart. I hope your recovery is going well. My ventral repair with mesh was by far the most painful surgery I have ever experienced.

I am 3 weeks out and with component separation with mesh it is a bitch, yes it is very painful still.....how long till you could move, turn and sneeze?

wow 20th is right around the corner for you.......and your brother is going with you? you are in excellent hands as you know

I am 3 weeks out and with component separation with mesh it is a bitch, yes it is very painful still.....how long till you could move, turn and sneeze?
It was probably a week before it wasn't really significant pain but mesh is inside the peritoneal cavity where yours is on the top and you had a big incision where I had lap. My pain was primarily from the screws holding the big hunk of mesh in place.

Hopefully it is getting better for you

The screws/staples/whatever they use to bolt that stuff in are horrible!! I couldn't inhale without pain for at least 2 weeks. The surgeon couldn't believe I refused a pain pump for as long as i did while in hospital - my innards took a beating. I'm 6 weeks out today and I overdid it on Saturday, have been paying for it since. Feel like I tweaked (strained maybe?) the rebuilt muscles on my right side.

yes that big piece of mesh is rough (he couldn't do component separation only he had to add biological mesh), but the component separation surgery is what is killing me. Dr K said what I am experiencing pain wise is expected, and the pain will be at least 6 weeks to recover.....it was done open from breast to pubic bone and I also had a large paraesophageal hernia to repair.....

Yes! I had a large incisional ventral hernia, above the navel. No strong pain mess since week 3. Mine goes from sternum down, 12+ inches. I have synthetic mesh under the muscle. Twenty-eight staples in an arc to hold that stuff in place, plus external compression for three months to help it adhere.
I agree, the pain now seems to be from the muscle work.
Rest and heal!

Yes! I had a large incisional ventral hernia, above the navel. No strong pain mess since week 3. Mine goes from sternum down, 12+ inches. I have synthetic mesh under the muscle. Twenty-eight staples in an arc to hold that stuff in place, plus external compression for three months to help it adhere.
I agree, the pain now seems to be from the muscle work.
Rest and heal!
I am not sure exactly how many screws he put in to hold my synthetic mesh. I just know that it was by far the most surgical pain I ever had . I was originally outpatient the way insurance approved it and I had to tell Dr k the pain was too bad to go home and then he was able to get inpatient covered...he always intended it to be inpatient but you know insurance. In any case even with pain meds in hospital when I got up to walk I made it 1.5 steps and said holy shit if I go any farther I won't be able to get back to my bed. Dr k git me on iv dilaudid at that point in addition to the oral he has prescribed for me to go home on. Toridol when added made a huge difference as well from the inflammation side of things.

Good luck on your surgery Scott. You are in the best of hands. I will be saying a little prayer for a speedy recovery!
Take good care
Whit

Latest posts

Back