Tiara's Thread

So, the first day is horrible, just horrible, the next 3 or 4 are really, really, really bad. Aftet 10 days, I walked a mile, after 2 weeks, I went to a baseball game.

It gets better, and it's so worth it. Welcome to a healthier and I hope happier life. Hang in there.

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions! They kept me an extra night to get things under control which was good. I came home tonight at about 7:30pm. I've been doing my walks! Flavored water packets are way better than plain water. Broth is fine too. Trying to hit that water goal every hour. The surgeon gave me a med for the stomach spasms which helped some. I tried a thinned out cream of chicken soup but it was just too dense. They told me not to force protein yet, just focus on hydration. I think I'll try out a protein broth tomorrow if Im hitting all my water goals, I still get the twisty feeling sometimes that hurts a lot. I'm guessing it is just air moving because I usually hear or feel gurgling with it!

Oh, I forgot to add, what goes down best is sugar free popsicles! The surgeon said that's because they melt so slowly they force you to slow down to a trickle, which is easier on a new tummy. They also encouraged trying different temps like you guys do, so I'll try that tomorrow...

Oh, I forgot to add, what goes down best is sugar free popsicles!

Yep, its all about the sugar free pops!

I could not do creamed soups for a month. I think one of the weirdest experiences I ever had was creamed soup too soon and I swear for an hour my tummy was a washing machine It' just was on a spin cycle, it did not hurt, it just spun and spun.

So, what I wish I did was take a photo every 10 pounds. I've seen photos of people who did that, and I really wish I did. So, maybe you want to think about that.

Super happy for you. This will be great! The first week is the worst. So hang in there. Other surprise for you might be your sense of smell gets intense for while. Some people like that, others, not so much. So don't be surprised by this, it's normal.

Also, this board is amazing, I owe it so much! People here are wonderful.

So, what I wish I did was take a photo every 10 pounds. I've seen photos of people who did that, and I really wish I did. So, maybe you want to think about that.
My husband and I did monthly photos as well as monthly measurements. Made it easier to see the progress. Also keep ONE before outfit for comparison.

Last edited:
Different temperatures and even different brands of water, if you are using bottled. There was one brand that had been fine pre-op but tasted metallic post-op. Weird, huh. Eventually went back to tasting normal. Don't worry about protein at all right now, your body has stores that will last at least 3 weeks, and by that time you'll be able to eat a little. It really does get better and it really is worth it.

I still have a sugar free popsicle every now and then. I also liked sugar free jello, but I would let it sort of melt in my mouth. Use tiny spoons.

It will get easier. Just focus on hydration for now.

Thank you for all the reassurance and advice everyone!! I got through yesterday at 64 oz of fluid so I'm proud of myself, it was a challenge... I plan on taking measurements and pics once a month to track the progress since I figure that's easier than stalking my weight on the scale. I had this crazy dream last night that I walked by someone's counter and auto-ate a sugar cookie before remembering I'm on a liquid diet and I panicked! LOL I apparently even fear messing up my stomach in my sleep!

I took a capful of Miralax Friday since they were worried I'm constipated and I've had nothing but watery diarrhea ever since. :( So it seems we have angered the gut gods. I don't really know what to do to calm it down, I guess I just have to wait it out. I think I'll start on a probiotic soon since I'm sure surgery disrupted everything.

I've been a bit worried that this surgery isn't going to work and I won't lose weight. On the pre-op diet for the first two weeks I lost nothing and in the liquid only week I lost 6 lbs. The doctor was surprised I lost so little. My body is VERY stubborn about my weight. I know it is silly but I do feel that fear that I'm going to fail to lose on track and not actually get down to an ideal weight. I'm sure this is a common fear. Hopefully it'll ease as the weight comes off. I'm trying to trust the process. But wow is it hard.

Also, odd surgery side effect--I'm starving now! ALL THE TIME! I've never been one to have much of an appetite, that's why it was easy to keep myself at 1300 calories daily for years at a time, but ever since surgery I'm hungry, like REALLY hungry! I'm on a PPI so I know it isn't stomach acid doing it. If I drink enough fluid to quiet the hunger I feel bloated. Is hunger after surgery normal? It seems like most people find it goes away after surgery, but I woke up in the recovery room hungry. :ROFLMAO:

I'm still taking a blood thinner, that'll last for 30 days, at least it is a pill! I need to start the b vitamins since they want you to take those right after discharge. I'm walking around the apartment as much as I can. Sleeping on my back is hard but my side isn't comfortable yet. My cat is depressed he can't climb up and sleep on my stomach but I'm still too sore for kitty elephant paws! LOL He was this way after my hysterectomy too, he moped around the house for weeks until I could let him climb up on my hip to sleep again. Poor little chunky kitty.

Latest posts

Back