Tiara's Thread

If I drink enough fluid to quiet the hunger I feel bloated. Is hunger after surgery normal? It seems like most people find it goes away after surgery, but I woke up in the recovery room hungry
That’s the lie surgeons tell you but the ghrelin hormone is secreted in more places than JUST the stomach. https://www.yourhormones.info/hormo... hormone that,intake and promotes fat storage.

It’s also secreted by the small intestine, the pancreas, and the brain. And while they did bypass some of your small intestine, they did not remove it. And they sure didn’t remove the pancreas or the brain. So they LIE to you about that.

That’s the lie surgeons tell you but the ghrelin hormone is secreted in more places than JUST the stomach. https://www.yourhormones.info/hormones/ghrelin/#:~:text=Ghrelin is a hormone that,intake and promotes fat storage.

It’s also secreted by the small intestine, the pancreas, and the brain. And while they did bypass some of your small intestine, they did not remove it. And they sure didn’t remove the pancreas or the brain. So they LIE to you about that.

Thank you, that's annoying but reassuring!

B vitamins are more of an issue with gastric bypass than with DS, so I'm surprised they are making you start them so soon. I've never needed them, other than what is in my daily multivitamin. What you will need to focus on is the fat soluble vitamins, since we malabsorb fat so well. There are A, D, E, and K. Mostly A, D, and K, really. And don't get fooled into thinking ADEK's will do the job. They don't contain enough of anything, and you can't adjust for one without changing how much you take of the others. Get the separate, "dry" form of each and then use your labs to adjust.

If you do take extra B vitamins, and they suggest a B Complex, use Desert Harvest. Their formula has no B6. A vast majority of DSers overdose on B6 way too easily. And too much B6 is toxic.

B vitamins are more of an issue with gastric bypass than with DS, so I'm surprised they are making you start them so soon. I've never needed them, other than what is in my daily multivitamin. What you will need to focus on is the fat soluble vitamins, since we malabsorb fat so well. There are A, D, E, and K. Mostly A, D, and K, really. And don't get fooled into thinking ADEK's will do the job. They don't contain enough of anything, and you can't adjust for one without changing how much you take of the others. Get the separate, "dry" form of each and then use your labs to adjust.
I'm pretty sure it is a blanket recommendation for all their bariatric patients. They want 12mg of B1! That chewable tastes awful. LOL I'll use the bottle but I won't buy more unless my labs seem to show I really need it. They do recommend the usual ADEK and I got one before I started reading this forum, so I'll take it until it is finished since I can't return it, and then switch over to the individual vitamins so I can control it better. Thanks for the advice!
The DS will work, and you will be fine. Its' been less than a week.
I know that statistically it is likely to work, but my fear is neither rational or logical, it's just that, a fear. I thought I'd write it here for posterity if any other newbie comes along so they know they aren't the only one that fears this. Then when they see my wild success they'll be reassured. :ROFLMAO:
If you do take extra B vitamins, and they suggest a B Complex, use Desert Harvest. Their formula has no B6. A vast majority of DSers overdose on B6 way too easily. And too much B6 is toxic.
I'll keep that one in mind if my labs come back low in Bs after I finish the other bottle. Thanks!

I don't supplement any B vitamins, and my labs are all fine. I did supplement B6 for awhile, I don't remember why, and my lab value quickly went above the normal range - not good! So I stopped and now it's ok. Be very, very careful with B6.

I know that statistically it is likely to work, but my fear is neither rational or logical, it's just that, a fear. I thought I'd write it here for posterity if any other newbie comes along so they know they aren't the only one that fears this. Then when they see my wild success they'll be reassured. :ROFLMAO:

That fear is normal. I was so scared of that. hang in there

Ketosis is a mysterious thing for me. Theoretically if you cut your carbs down low for a few days you should end up in ketosis, but I don't think my body does that. Over the last few weeks I've noticed no symptoms of ketosis except when I eat fat! Then my urine scent changes in a way I associate with ketosis. I was thinking about this yesterday because I've been at like 200 calories and feeling rather tired, of course. I decided to put cream in my tea and viola, scent change! This is kind of funny. I wonder if the pre-op diet didn't work because I wasn't eating enough fat to put me into ketosis? (The surgeon commented my liver was still "plump".) Does eating fat even help with that? I don't understand keto things very well because I always shied away from the "eat fat" component. That's what happens when you are raised vegan. LOL Anyone else have this happen?

In other news, I finally found a way of consuming protein that works!! Jello is still a no go, but I decided to try a protein hot chocolate this morning because it only has 15 grams of protein as opposed to the 30 grams of my shakes. It went down fine!! YAY!! No heavy feeling. So I found my favorite powdered shake (which also happens to be 15 grams of protein) and made popsicles with them. I think those will go down fine too, popsicles go down better than even water does. My surgeon commented that is probably because they are very cold and melt slowly, so fluid goes down at a trickle which our new tummies prefer. I think with these two things paired with the low carb milk in my decaf lattes, I should be able to get in 30 grams of protein a day. I'm excited!!

So today is weight day--officially 1 week from surgery! I'm only weighing myself once a week. I was really shocked when I stepped on the scale this morning and it said 296!! I had to go check the other scale, it said 299, either way I'm below 300!! :cry: I was so surprised because I was weighed Monday when I went to see the anesthesiologist for my shoulder surgery and their scale said 303. I know post surgery sometimes weight can shift dramatically in a few days but wow. I feel much more reassured now. Next week I'll weigh myself on the day I go to the surgeon's office since their scale is the one I consider official. That way I can compare to my home scales. I haven't been below 300 in several years.

I think I'm malabsorbing my psych meds. I called the psych nurse and she wants me to wait a month to see how I feel. :mad: I'm passing the pills in my stool and feeling the withdrawal, I think a month is a little long to wait to see how I feel. I'm on the call list for an earlier appointment. In the meantime I've decided to cut my pills in half, that should change them from extended release to immediate release. Hopefully that will help. They may not stay in my system as long but at least I'll get enough of a burst to stave off the annoying withdrawal symptoms.

I called the psych nurse and she wants me to wait a month to see how I feel. :mad: I'm passing the pills in my stool and feeling the withdrawal, I think a month is a little long to wait to see how I feel. I'm on the call list for an earlier appointment.
I hope you get one and think you should make more noise about it.
withdrawal is no joke and they need to help you sooner.

I think I'm malabsorbing my psych meds. I called the psych nurse and she wants me to wait a month to see how I feel. :mad: I'm passing the pills in my stool and feeling the withdrawal, I think a month is a little long to wait to see how I feel. I'm on the call list for an earlier appointment. In the meantime I've decided to cut my pills in half, that should change them from extended-release to immediate release. Hopefully that will help. They may not stay in my system as long but at least I'll get enough of a burst to stave off the annoying withdrawal symptoms.

Yep, that happens at first. Here is the solution. It's a pill crusher. Just crush your pills. It might taste horrible, but
your body will be able to process them. My surgeon told me to do this.

In terms of losing weight, it will happen. I found the first week I was heavier than before surgery because of all the water they pumped in me during surgery. You need to get rid of that water. And I assume you needed to lose that first.

I can't find the chart, but witht he DS you most likely will lose for 18 months. The first couple months are about 10% of your body weight, then, it becomes less and less a percent of your body weight. I think my last few months I lost about 3 to 4 pounds a month. I ended at 131.

You were happy below 300 pounds. Onederland is 199. You will be there before you know it. :)

Do let us know when get to Onederland.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes! I decided to break them up last night and feel better this morning so I'm thankful that helped!! They called me back with an appointment next Monday so we'll see what she says, but I agree, a month is too long to wait with wonky psych meds!

I read somewhere you lose the first 25% of your excess weight in the first 3 months. Another 20-25% at 3-6 months, then another 25% between 6 months-12 months, and the last 25% by 18-24 months, it's the slowest. I've seen people track this way and others all over the place. So I'm trying to make peace with the fact that my body will lose in whatever fashion it wants to and all I can do is watch my intake, movement, water, and hang on for the ride! LOL I just got spooked reading some people's stories about not losing much. But they were sleevers...so...

Latest posts

Back