surgery tomorrow

GLad you are doing well! :) Welcome home and welcome to an amazing, healthy future!!!!

Good job! The uncomfortable thing lasted about a week for me, but just rest, walk, sip and focus on healing...which might be hard with two very energetic boys, but do try ;)

Glad you're home and doing well. I'm less than four weeks ahead of you so I'm so very interested to see what your experiences are in comparison to mine. I'm doing better than I was but last night ate a low carb fake Mac and cheese dish I made with cauliflower. I had a small serving, ate slowly and chewed it to death. It almost Friggan killed me anyway. Was doubled over in pain resembling labor with hot pads on my back and stomach doing Lamaze breathing. An hour later it was like nothing had happened. WTF that was all about I do not know but I will not be eating that again. Today I've stuck with fluids in fear labor will start again. So far so good. I just wish I had someone on call 24 hrs a day to answer all my questions!!! I just got back from Costco where I was buying up as many of the required supplements. My cart looked like I might be off on a third world medical mission. I ordered two huge pill organizers from Amazon. I'm determined to move forward as healthy as I can. I'm kind of stuck on what to eat right now. Sick of eggs. Anyway. Keep us posted.

@CaraOC, I'm right there with you about what to eat. The last few days have been hellish with dairy out of the blue. Had a little bit of pho last night, which went OK. I have a sensitivity to eggs, so they're a no-go for me. Been having some tofu, and waiting for my protein powder to arrive tonight (one of which is green tea flavour) so I have a reliable back-up!

@CaraOC, I'm right there with you about what to eat. The last few days have been hellish with dairy out of the blue. Had a little bit of pho last night, which went OK. I have a sensitivity to eggs, so they're a no-go for me. Been having some tofu, and waiting for my protein powder to arrive tonight (one of which is green tea flavour) so I have a reliable back-up!
I have some protein shakes but I want to eat!! I bought some rockfish to try as I did well on salmon. I'll keep you posted on results. I had some Brie cheese with a nice cup of tea and it was amazing. I also found my favorite cheese from home at Costco, the Dubliner. I'll try that later too. I used to love doing the Atkins diet and did loose on it, but would fall off the wagon and carbo binge. Can't do that now without wanting to die in pain!!! It's like a reconditioning aversion therapy we're doing!!! But I'm down about 30 lbs. so who cares!!??

Susan you are going to do well , but keep a close eye on the glucose levels.

Glad you are home and healing. I bet the kiddos are so excited to see you and you the same. Welcome to the dark side you are going to rock this thing and find that it was the surgery and not you that failed!

I have some protein shakes but I want to eat!! I bought some rockfish to try as I did well on salmon. I'll keep you posted on results. I had some Brie cheese with a nice cup of tea and it was amazing. I also found my favorite cheese from home at Costco, the Dubliner. I'll try that later too. I used to love doing the Atkins diet and did loose on it, but would fall off the wagon and carbo binge. Can't do that now without wanting to die in pain!!! It's like a reconditioning aversion therapy we're doing!!! But I'm down about 30 lbs. so who cares!!??
You will find a happy medium once you are further out. Too many Carbs are definitely not going to agree early on but I am a firm believer that extreme carb restricting like Atkins ends up with the falling off the wagon syndrome and binging on carbs eventuality.

Give it sometime and try to add carbs like veggies and not apple pie... Although a bite or two of cake or other desserts satiated me a few months out.

Glad you are home, Susan...now sip, walk, rest, rinse, repeat and WELCOME to the DARK SIDE!!!

I'm doing better than I was but last night ate a low carb fake Mac and cheese dish I made with cauliflower. I had a small serving, ate slowly and chewed it to death. It almost Friggan killed me anyway

At 4 weeks out, cauliflower was impossible. It is a gas producing veggie... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables
http://flatulencecures.com/vegetables-that-cause-gas
5. Cauliflower
While not usually quite as bad as broccoli or cabbage, cauliflower is still a cruciferous vegetable with both sulfur compounds and oligosaccharides.
If you experience bloating and flatulence problems the next day after a meal with a lot of cauliflower, then it is the likely culprit.

It ALSO could have been dairy. Many of us start off lactose intolerant right after surgery.

One thing I had to learn for me was trying to find substitutes for pasta was an exercise in futility. I just do not bother eating pasta 95% of the time. I will eat some once in awhile but trying to figure out how to do spaghetti with fake noodles (veggie or other) just did not appeal to me. I wanted the real stuff...but I also know if I do, I will be miserable with gas.

Early out, we had been so use to eating spaghetti that we tried using angel hair pasta and just enough for a handful of strands each...we finally stopped even trying about 14 months after surgery...just not worth the effort.

Susan you are going to do well , but keep a close eye on the glucose levels.

Yep, first thing I did this morning after sipping water was have my juice. That's what they wanted me to do while in the hospital to raise blood sugar.

So glad you're home and doing well, Susan! Would like to know what protein chicken soup you're having - are you using Unjury? I just started the pre-op diet. Had the BariLife "oatmeal" this morning and OMG, it was awful.

Would like to know what protein chicken soup you're having - are you using Unjury?

BariLife has a cream of chicken protein soup, I strain it because it has tiny pieces of carrot, spices and such. To me it is thinner than the BariLife protein shakes, which are really thick. I think the chicken soup tastes really well. My post-op instructions say no cream soups, but I am thinking they mean soups actually made with cream/milk with lots of calories, not the bariLie soups. I also like the BariLife cappuccino, no flavor added.

yeah... the "oatmeal" as I call it was pretty nasty. I liked the apple cinnamon much better than maple brown sugar. I could actually eat the apple cinnamon.

I HATE fake sweeteners, I am enduring them while I am on liquids but as soon as i start real food bye bye fake sugars. I don't even like crystal lite in my water. I just don't do fake food...and I was on the pre-op diet three weeks. It SUCKED. But.....what are you gonna do?? Glad that is over. I don't think I could handle another bowl of protein pasta. LOL!

It's a barilife product...still very carb heavy but it does have more protein than the typical pasta might. http://www.barilife.com/fettuccini-alfredo.html 15 grams of protein BUT 33 grams of carbs. Oh and NO FAT.
I eat wheat pasta because I actually like the flavor. Regular pasta has a pretty decent amount of protein anyway and is one of those foods for which there is no substitute for me. So I eat real spaghetti now and then but I just don't eat too much.. It is just a vehicle for the meat sauce that I fix.

I don't have this meal very often because with the tomato based sauce and pasta it is a pretty heavy carb meal, but I do get a lot of protein.

I eat wheat pasta because I actually like the flavor. Regular pasta has a pretty decent amount of protein anyway and is one of those foods for which there is no substitute for me. So I eat real spaghetti now and then but I just don't eat too much.. It is just a vehicle for the meat sauce that I fix.

I don't have this meal very often because with the tomato based sauce and pasta it is a pretty heavy carb meal, but I do get a lot of protein.
I think my point is that you don't need to pay a bloody fortune for a product you can adapt for yourself. I looked up the nutrition facts on pasta...2.9 grams of protein and 14 grams of carbs for 2 oz.

Latest posts

Back