Stage 3 Diet

Denis Korb

Okay, So I am looking at the diet that they have handed me and it looks like its tailor made for the RnY not for the DS...could anyone tell me what I should be eating in the soft foods stage. I ended up making a chicken fajita made with chicken, sliced orange pepper, sliced onion, medium salsa, and sour cream with shredded/melted cheese. that one small Fajita took me 3 hours to eat 2/3rds of it. I took like a bite every 10 minuets, chewed it to paste consistency before each swallow. This was my first experience with semi normal food since my past diet and the surgery diets is there a section in the forums dedicated to an idea of what we should be eating at this stage? Mabe a meal plan?

Based on my experience, I'd say that your fajita sounds a little too advanced for soft food. Things I was told were soft foods: scrambled eggs (I added shredded cheddar for the taste), full-fat cottage cheese (make it sweet with cinnamon and Splenda, or put in herbs or pesto for a savory version). Yogurt with splenda and vanilla or other flavoring, Sugar-free pudding. Tuna with lots of mayo. And everyone's favorite emergency soft food: Taco Bell pintos and cheese.

No. Nonono. Not considered soft food. Plus veggies are too hard on freshly cut guts. Just no.

Think scrambled eggs.
Non-hard cheeses
Egg salad
Tuna salad
Poached fish
Sashimi
Yogurt
Ricotta

Last edited:
For my soft food stage, I did eggs, baked or roasted fish, ground turkey (scrambled and seasoned), mashed potatoes (with cheese and sour cream), ricotta cheese (I baked a ricotta tart), and my personal favorite...spaghetti sauce. I was craving pasta, but knew it was too soon, so I made some of my favorite sauce with mushrooms and hamburger (instead of the meat I would normally use) and I ate that - A LOT. It was very appealing.

I am going to agree with brooklyngirl on this one nonononononononono! Especially the onions!

Last edited:
I was one of those who ground meat didn't even work for a lonnnnng time. Plus, @Denis Korb whatever you have room for at this point should be taken up by protein. It's hard to get out of the mindset of a "balanced meal" but right now, veggies and tortillas are wasted space, plus will probably make you feel like shit. Literally, and figuratively :)

Okay, I will cut out the veggies and the tortillas, I tried eating just tuna w/mayo on the tortilla and it threw my stomach for a loop during digestion, I haven't thrown up at all, but I do occasionally get strange sensations in my stomach where it doesn't actually hurt but it doesn't feel good either So I started drinking just water again to calm my stomach down.

I described the sensation as food landing in my stomach with a thud. I found that softer food, slower eating, and paying close attention to how I feel after each bite are the best ways to minimize that feeling.

The best advice that I can give about soft foods is this: if you can cut it with a plastic fork using very little effort, consider it a soft food.

As far as the tortillas go, I am eight weeks out (today is eight weeks), and I am not able to digest much in the way of bread/tortillas/toast/crackers. Not for a lack of trying, mind you. Sven, my tiny stomach, just doesn't like them yet. He won't let me have mayo or dressings, but he will let me have olive oil and avacado oil, so I use those instead.

The best advice that I can give about soft foods is this: if you can cut it with a plastic fork using very little effort, consider it a soft food.

As far as the tortillas go, I am eight weeks out (today is eight weeks), and I am not able to digest much in the way of bread/tortillas/toast/crackers. Not for a lack of trying, mind you. Sven, my tiny stomach, just doesn't like them yet. He won't let me have mayo or dressings, but he will let me have olive oil and avacado oil, so I use those instead.

The plastic fork trick is a good gauge.

I'm not even allowed to consider the crackers/tortillas/toast or bread according to my Dr.

(But I do still occasionally have half an english muffin with butter and sugar free preserves :devilish: )

Latest posts

Back