Soon-to-Be DS'er

heyclementine

Hello everyone! I've been reading the threads for a long time but have never posted before. At my nutritional consult the psychologist really recommended I reach out to people who've had the surgery I am going to get (DS) to get some real life accounts of what life is like after surgery and to help me feel more prepared.

I've had my initial consult, psych evaluation, nutrition consult, and am on month 3/3 of my doctor supervised weight loss program. I'm very excited that I'm getting close to (hopefully) being approved and getting my surgery date. I really feel like I'm ready (I've been reading everything I can on this particular surgery for over a year now, including many posts on this forum) and just very excited to become a healthier person who can really enjoy life.

As educated as I am about this surgery and about how life will be afterwards, I'm still very nervous and a little scared. More about being in control of my health long-term (the nutritional requirements and supplement information is daunting) than the surgery itself. But I'm making a "DS Bible" where I compile information I gather here and on the DS Facts website. I hope I eventually feel it all clicks and I "get" it. (I read in one thread last night where a woman says she knows 3 people who've died from not taking care of themselves properly after surgery! That was very scary to me - I don't even know 1 person who has HAD the surgery, let alone died from it. But I'm trying to let my fear motivate me to learn as much as I can!0

My surgeon is Dr. Sudan at Duke, who I have all the confidence in the world in. I'd love to connect with anyone who has had him as a surgeon, but I'm mainly just excited to hear from anyone who might be able to help me get prepared!

Thank you
smile.png

Welcome, @heyclementine

I'm not a Sudan patient altho I now live in NC. (I was in TN before). Sudan is an awesome cutter but like MOST DS surgeons, his vitamin/eating once healed miss the mark for a DS'er.

Read everything you can (and it sounds like you are). And let us know when you get a date for surgery.

Thanks, Jackie!

SouthernLady, I am originally from TN too! And yes, I've been reading not to necessarily trust the surgeon's recommendations post-op and I think that's what has me so nervous to gather and understand information on my own. Thanks for the welcome!

With all due respect to Dr.K - please keep in mind that DSFacts.com is no longer run by DS patients, and as the website is updated, there may be information posted with which many long term DSers don't agree. I don't have any specific examples, but it is just a caveat to keep in mind.

Thanks, Jackie!

SouthernLady, I am originally from TN too! And yes, I've been reading not to necessarily trust the surgeon's recommendations post-op and I think that's what has me so nervous to gather and understand information on my own. Thanks for the welcome!
I was born in TN, then spent most of my life in SC...at least until I got married 18 years ago...

We landed in TN a year before I decided to have surgery. I was just fortunate to land in Knoxville and Boyce was already doing the DS. We moved to Western NC about 18 months ago. Little town right on the NC/SC state line called Tryon.

Welcome! I'm a pre-op too. Scheduled for DS surgery on Feb 2 w Dr. Greenbaum. I'm feeling the same way too. I've found this board to be very informative and full of great people. Good luck w your surgery!

I love NC. I lived in Winston-Salem for 6 1/2 years before moving back to PA. I'm a Wake Forest alum and my husband is a UNC alum. Still vacation in OBX every year! Love it!!

:welcome1:
Sounds like you have done your research. Being a bit nervous is so normal. Remember that people who have no issues are usually out living life and we don't hear that much from them other than occasional check ins. There are many more of them than there are those with problems.
That being said, this is a great place for information and support!

Welcome!

All bariatric surgery is major surgery, and the risks are real. Having said that, I will add that when we hear about someone having a major complication or dying, most of the time we never learn the entire story. Some people go into their bariatric surgery in very poor health and are thus very high risk for complications or dying. Others start out ok but fail to take all the necessary vitamins consistently and get into serious nutritional trouble. And then, sometimes everyone does everything right and something bad still happens.
It's a big decision to have this surgery and it's natural to have fears. What we need to remember is that being MO is itself a serious medical problem, and that the comorbidities some have add to the seriousness of the problem. Being MO, by itself (meaning even without identified comorbidities) has been shown to shorten people's lives. And then there is the quality of life issue as well. It's just that the fear is less well defined and less immediate as we go along with our daily lives, hanging in there as best we can, but damaging our bodies every day until the problems surface.

Larra, thank you for this response. I have seen enough of your other replies in other threads that I already value your opinion. I especially relate to this one, because except for occasional high blood pressure, I have no comorbidities that I am aware of. This sometimes makes me question if I am going after surgery for the right reasons. However, I feel less and less healthy all the time and know that one day I will likely pay for all this excess weight. I'm definitely hoping the surgery will allow me to avoid some of this damage. Thanks again.

With all due respect to Dr.K - please keep in mind that DSFacts.com is no longer run by DS patients, and as the website is updated, there may be information posted with which many long term DSers don't agree. I don't have any specific examples, but it is just a caveat to keep in mind.

oh so what does that mean? Can we still go by the information in there for surgeons? (I am a vsg to DS preop) I read a post about DS surgeons on here or was it revision surgeons-holy crap there is soooooooo much great info on here!!!!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back