Pets...we all have them! (okay, most of us anyway)

oh, how sweet she looks!

and so tiny. my Bunny is seven pounds - huge, in comparison - and I worry I might accidentally break her little legs. :eek:
how long have you had her, do they get along OK?

I'm sorry to hear about Desi :(

All my dogs have been mixed breeds. Two from shelters and three from friends. Max came from a dog that my friend got to breed and got her home only to find the previous owner didn't tell her the dog was pregnant. Jake came from the Dumb Friends shelter in Denver, CO. Rocky came from a Dalmatian rescue. We celebrated the adoption date for Jake and Rocky. My little stinkers currently stealing my heart came from a friend who dog was to be neutered and got pregnant before the appointment could be made. Today is actually the birthday for Mersey (AKA Black Dog) and Abbey (AKA Brown Dog); chihuahua/dachshund/schnauzer mix. They get extra kisses today.
10694451_1007505852612412_6805386371172238996_o.jpg

those two look pretty cute - I love Schnauzer eyebrows. :sm shades:

I sure will be only getting rescues/shelter dogs from now on.

how long have you had her, do they get along OK?

I'm sorry to hear about Desi :(
Thanks, Desi was biting me, dh, (breaking skin and leaving deep puncture marks), he grabbed Lucy's head in his jaws and one of his teeth scratched her. She was scare of him and we worried about petting him since we never knew if he would bite us. He had only gotten worse since he had hurt his neck in a fall. The vet checked for breaks but that didn't show other damage. We also had to worry about liability issues if he bit a friend, family member, or stranger.

We got her yesterday, 11/8, about 11AM on a "foster to adopt". They give people about a week to see if it's a good fit. The youngest cats think we brought in an animated squeaky toy! We were told she was shy....BS, there ain't a shy bone in her body..she's loving being here. She and Lucy play...but Lucy is almost 7 and likes to just sleep alot. Fawn is a bundle of energy and can get in Lucy's face. Then Lucy gives her the "YOU are breathing my air" grumble.

Thanks, Desi was biting me, dh, (breaking skin and leaving deep puncture marks), he grabbed Lucy's head in his jaws and one of his teeth scratched her. She was scare of him and we worried about petting him since we never knew if he would bite us. He had only gotten worse since he had hurt his neck in a fall. The vet checked for breaks but that didn't show other damage. We also had to worry about liability issues if he bit a friend, family member, or stranger.

We got her yesterday, 11/8, about 11AM on a "foster to adopt". They give people about a week to see if it's a good fit. The youngest cats think we brought in an animated squeaky toy! We were told she was shy....BS, there ain't a shy bone in her body..she's loving being here. She and Lucy play...but Lucy is almost 7 and likes to just sleep alot. Fawn is a bundle of energy and can get in Lucy's face. Then Lucy gives her the "YOU are breathing my air" grumble.

Sounds like a good fit! If you can make a place for Lucy that Fawn can't get to it should help them stay friends. Sometimes older dogs just need someplace they can go that the younger ones can't. My older corgi (Kirby) can hop the step over baby-gate to get away from my younger, body slamming boy...:sneaky: She does a lot with him but also needs some down time since he doesn't understand this down time thing...

I do worry about my younger Chihuahua (Chip) for when we lose Dexter (older Chihuahua, one eyed pirate!). He likes Kirby but Trysten is too big for him to play with, again with trying to body slam another dog when you are 38 pounds and he's just 8 pounds. We worry Trysten will hurt by accident. It's happen before and we were lucky it was just a few days rest to recover, we may not be so lucky if it happens again.:frown:

FYI- I'm been a professional dog trainer for over 25 years and specialize in Therapy and Service dogs.:cool:

Sounds like a good fit! If you can make a place for Lucy that Fawn can't get to it should help them stay friends. Sometimes older dogs just need someplace they can go that the younger ones can't. My older corgi (Kirby) can hop the step over baby-gate to get away from my younger, body slamming boy...:sneaky: She does a lot with him but also needs some down time since he doesn't understand this down time thing...

I do worry about my younger Chihuahua (Chip) for when we lose Dexter (older Chihuahua, one eyed pirate!). He likes Kirby but Trysten is too big for him to play with, again with trying to body slam another dog when you are 38 pounds and he's just 8 pounds. We worry Trysten will hurt by accident. It's happen before and we were lucky it was just a few days rest to recover, we may not be so lucky if it happens again.:frown:

FYI- I'm been a professional dog trainer for over 25 years and specialize in Therapy and Service dogs.:cool:
Lucy has been sleeping with us at night for over a year now. Fawn joined the group in the bed but was super wound up. Her foster mom had kept her in a crate at night so that’s where she landed after about 30 mins. Lucy got good sleep and so did Fawn cause she never whined.

Until she cools down at night (it was her first night), she will continue in the crate.

The crates are actually for the cats to travel in, soft sided and hold 40 lbs. we put three cats in each. Gives them room without crowding. So the crate she was in last night was huge for her.

For a Chihuahua/JRT, Lucy is very laid back. I think she thinks she’s a cat and had to sleep 23 out of 24 hours a day.

They will get there.

On Friday the 11th of Jan. we said goodbye to Miss Maggie. She had turned 17 her last birthday.
We took all of them in to see my sister, the vet, for their yearly exam. Miss Maggie's visit was a quality of life check. We had her checked while in NC at our previous vet's office. Other than being severely skinny with no fat, she was still in decent condition. They checked her blood pressure and it was unremarkable. When my sister saw her, her BP had skyrocketed in two months. She noticed thickening of her intestines. Both of which can be handled but at a cost of making her miserable with me. They would have given her pills...and her son inherited her ability to spit them across the room. She was also having issues with her eyes. We knew she had cataracts but the resulting loss of decent sight was making her miserable. And recently she had a seizure.

So we let her cross the Rainbow Bridge. My sister made her comfortable with opiates and cat nip. She also ate treats to her hearts content.

As I said on FB
RIP Maggie, my Maggie May
1 Sept 2001 -11 Jan 2019.
She wandered onto our porch and into our hearts, leaving permanent paw prints.
49776280_10216968759324810_4171123301294276608_n.jpg

Well, shoot. I am so sorry. She was VERY LUCKY to be with you two. I am certain that if reincarnation exists, I want to come back as one of your pets.

Last Jan 11th, we said goodbye to our beloved double white labradear, Sadie. It crushed us both so badly we cannot get another dog. So now we just have Miss Lillian. Her Majesty.

Well, shoot. I am so sorry. She was VERY LUCKY to be with you two. I am certain that if reincarnation exists, I want to come back as one of your pets.

Last Jan 11th, we said goodbye to our beloved double white labradear, Sadie. It crushed us both so badly we cannot get another dog. So now we just have Miss Lillian. Her Majesty.
I’m so sorry you lost Sadie.

I'm not looking forward to that future. I recently realized our Fatboy Onyx (20-22 lbs) had hipbones, which I'd not felt since we first got him in 2007 (when he was "2 years old" - shelter-speak for "we don't know, but not old"). So he's at least 14 now. I took him to the vet and there's something off with his kidneys. The good news is, whatever it is, we seem to have caught it early, because his labs were fine in June. He's finishing a round of antibiotics in case it was an infection.

The other good news is that weighing about 17.5 lbs, he's getting around a lot better - he's a big-boned cat, a Maine Coon mix, but 22 lbs is pretty damned fat. Now he's just portly (or "porkulent").
49343184_10156214745301173_4390040606164910080_n.jpg

(He has a lion cut because all our cats are long-haired and we have their chest, bellies and "sanitary" areas trimmed to cut down on the catbestosis (cough caused by fur in the air) and dingleberry droppings, and he gets the extra trim because he's got itchy skin and chews bald spots on his flanks if he's got fur there. It looks cuter than the mangy look, and he LOVES being rubbed on his suede.)

Latest posts

Back