Ow, my aching back

JacobC

I'm 3-weeks out today and I've noticed that my lower back pain has pretty much disappeared (yay!) to be replaced by upper back pain.

It's a band of tightness right across the middle of my back - right where a bra line would be on a lady - which is much worse on the right side. The only relief is stretching out which isn't feasible all the time. A heating pad seems to help, but it's not solving my problem.

I'm hoping this is just my posture changing with the initial weight loss? Anyone else have this and if so, how long until I can expect my body to catch up and the tightness to go away.

I've been working at my home office this week, and honestly the idea of getting up tomorrow and putting in another day in my desk chair has me feeling pretty bleak at the moment.

Thanks!
Jacob

Hi Jacob and congratulations on reaching the 3 week mark!

I hope that, aside from the back pain which sounds awful, your recovery is going well overall and that you are staying hydrated. I have no idea about the cause - are you sleeping in a different position than usual due to incisions? It might be useful to switch chairs or try to work from bed or couch or recliner with legs up if you have a laptop??

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
Hi Jacob,

I experienced a great deal of back pain the first few weeks out. As Hilary mentioned, I believe that I was compensating for my incisional pain by laying positions that I typically would not have. The only relief I found was trying to frequently re-position my body. I hope you feel better soon!

I suppose it's possible - my incisions feel pretty good and are healing nicely without pain (I had the procedure laparoscopically). I did work from my recliner yesterday and that helped a little, back to it today. Next week will be my first week back in the office - that'll be interesting! :)

Your center of gravity can absolutely change from the rapid weight loss, and I needed a chiropractor to even me back out and let the muscles quit overcompensating and heal. I also needed some physical therapy to help build core muscles, but only in part to that, and part for a lower back injury. get evaluated, because if your back needs adjustments, it's much easier to catch them early than to let other areas start to compensate.

I didn't even think about finding a chiropractor & checking them out. Good idea, I'll do that!

Your center of gravity can absolutely change from the rapid weight loss, and I needed a chiropractor to even me back out and let the muscles quit overcompensating and heal. I also needed some physical therapy to help build core muscles, but only in part to that, and part for a lower back injury. get evaluated, because if your back needs adjustments, it's much easier to catch them early than to let other areas start to compensate.

Latest posts

Back