one week before surgery, panicking

Ann's response is perfect. When I was in my losing phase, I would eat half of a Reese's cup and then stop (and honestly be satisfied with just a taste). Now I can eat a whole package (and I do)! But, even now, a package is plenty -- I remember preop I would eat one of the 4 packs and no way could I do that now!

Ann's response is perfect. When I was in my losing phase, I would eat half of a Reese's cup and then stop (and honestly be satisfied with just a taste). Now I can eat a whole package (and I do)! But, even now, a package is plenty -- I remember preop I would eat one of the 4 packs and no way could I do that now!
Thank you Shann!

Hi @katsmeow07 -- I am 3 1/2 months post-op so I have very clear memories of the pre-op jitters and nerves. I think everyone gets them, and especially when you think a lot about how dramatically your life is likely going to change post-op -- from what and when you eat to what you wear and how other people treat you -- it all goes through a dramatic change and that can feel pretty scary (at least it was to me). But I wouldn't change it for the world. The surgery wasn't as scary as I feared, the recovery wasn't as tough as I feared and I realized I had spent a lot of stress worrying about what is ending up to be the best thing that has happened to me in a loooong time.

We are here for you -- every one of us understand what you are feeling and are happy to listen and hold your hand through it, Kathy.
Thank you so much, you have me in tears right now. It's great to actually hear from people that were/are going through the same exact things. Your support is helping me more than you know. ♡♡♡

^^^ What she said. Note that I said I'm in my 8th year out. This is NOT how to behave a few weeks or months postop.
I'm six years out. I was very attentive to obeying the rules, such that they were, for the first 18 months. Treats were introduced slowly.

It might have even been longer. But my first 5 months were sheer hell. Note: I have not met anyone who had as rough as recovery as I did. I like the idea of being unique, yet this is not the way I wanted to be "special". Even with my rough start, I'd do it all over again.

So you didn't have any chocolate or say, pizza toppings for 18 months? ?
Pizza toppings a lot sooner than that. Chocolate, um, vicinity of a year. Pizza toppings contain yummy protein and fat and are good for DSers. Crust, notsomuch.

It's time to take control of your mind, my friend. Time to focus on the GOOD STUFF that is coming your way. Time to rejoice in the idea that stuff like ribeye and bacon and aged cheeses and full fat EVERYTHING will be health food for you. Time to focus on HEALTH and WELLNESS and JOY OF LIVING. Knock off this panic over chocolate thing. Your mind is a lot stronger than that. Eventually, DOWN THE ROAD, nothing will be forbidden except for stuff that your gut doesn't like.....IF you get your fluids, protein and supplements in.

Look for what IS, not for what is not.

I'm three months out....I tried eating the top of a personal pizza a few days ago.... It came right back up:-( I'm thinking it was the sugar content in the sauce?

I had a really hard time with tomato sauce for a long time, at least a year if not longer. I agree with the baked (or nuked) pepperoni chips.
I had a small bit of chocolate when I was craving it from early on, like one piece of good dark chocolate. A bar would last me a couple of weeks, eating it one square at a time.

Hi Kathy!!

did I somehow miss giving you a welcome? if so, here it is, if not - take two! hope to hear of your successfully being postop soon.

welcome-colorful-text-graphic.jpg

The reason I was preoccupied with the bad carbs is I have done the Adkins diet before for 6 months and it got unbearable.

The reason I was preoccupied with the bad carbs is I have done the Adkins diet before for 6 months and it got unbearable.
It's not Atkins. But you WILL sabotage yourself if you perseverate on this stuff. The goal is a "new normal," not utter deprivation....But it will take a while for that new normal to set in.

Latest posts

Back