New here, Sleeve to DS or RNY in future in Georgia ? Or SC/TN

Moonbeam

Hi everyone. First post here. I had the sleeve in 2012 and now I'm looking to revise to something. I'm gonna see my old surgeon, but he doesn't do the DS. Does anyone have any DS docs in Georgia or even western South Carolina or East Tennessee? I couldn't find a list anywhere. Thanks!

Hi and welcome Moonbeam - I'm a big fan of the DS, one of the best decisions of my life. No idea on the surgeons in those areas. All the best!

This is what I "hear" when I read your post:
"What I already did hasn't worked, so--even though I haven't done much homework on what my next move should be--I'm ready to do something else as long as it's close to home."

Like @Munchkin said, the next logical step is the DS. You already have half of the DS done. But...you need to do a lot more reading and get a better understanding of the really huge step you are about to take. And, since you are willing to cross state lines, insurance doesn't appear to be limiting the area you are willing to consider.

So, slow down. Time to do A LOT of reading...about the long term success rate of revisions from the sleeve to the other two procedures you mentioned. I can't think of any good reason to return to the original surgeon...but a BAD reason to return is that he might want you to try something else he knows how to do, instead of whatever is best for you.

Take a deep breath, start reading, figure out what procedure you think will improve your life, then start looking for a doctor who can help you. And consider traveling. Some of us traveled a 4-hour drive from home, some traveled across the country or to another country, some went to different continents.

There are things to do before finding a surgeon. Good luck.

Hi again @Moonbeam ! Glad to see you here.

I think you are already getting a lot of great advice, from my adorable @Spiky Bugger in particular. We are seeing more and more people wanting to revise from the sleeve to "something better" all the time, and unfortunately most of them will end up with gastric bypass simply because they consult with a surgeon who only does sleeve and gastric bypass, and they aren't going to recommend a procedure they don't do themselves and lose a paying customer...oh sorry, I meant patient. It's up to you to do your research and determine what revision is best for you.
As you are seeing, most of us here have the DS and we love it and recommend it. But it's not just from our personal experiences. The DS has the best long term statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for MAINTAINING that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. And it's important to think long term because morbid obesity is a chronic medical problem, not an acute illness.
There is someone around here, unfortunately I can't remember who, who has seen Dr. Jean Pierre and been told he does a real DS and was trained by Dr. Dennis Smith, who is a very well regarded DS surgeon (now in Celebration, FLA). Dr. Boyce is also a known DS surgeon and there are a bunch of people here who had their DS with him. And with so many people revising from sleeve and (even more so) lap band to better operations, every DS surgeon revises from those operations to the DS. Revising from gastric bypass to DS is much more complicated and only a few surgeons do it.
So spend some time reading the posts that are already here, learn everything you can, and then make your decision. Decide on your operation first, THEN decide on your surgeon.

Hi @Moonbeam I saw that @southernlady mentioned Dr. Boyce in Knoxville already. I just had my DS with Dr. Boyce one month ago, so if you have any questions about that program, I am perhaps the most recent graduate so to speak and I'm happy to discuss if you want. You're getting (and will get) excellent advice from all the veterans here. I learned everything I know about the DS from the folks on this group and that allowed me to go into surgery with a very true sense and real understanding of the things I would face along the way and living with the DS as a post op. Please, especially take @Spiky Bugger's recommendation that you "slow down" and take your time to thoroughly research out your next step so you can make an informed decision based on your needs and not just what is nearby to where you live or what is easiest for some surgeon to perform. My sister has had an RnY since 2001, so believe me, I have seen the after effects of living with that procedure and it solidified my decision to go with the DS. The DS is the most logical transition from the sleeve and if you can get it done, it's easier to live with than the RnY. Way easier.

Hi @Moonbeam I saw that @southernlady mentioned Dr. Boyce in Knoxville already. I just had my DS with Dr. Boyce one month ago, so if you have any questions about that program, I am perhaps the most recent graduate so to speak and I'm happy to discuss if you want. You're getting (and will get) excellent advice from all the veterans here. I learned everything I know about the DS from the folks on this group and that allowed me to go into surgery with a very true sense and real understanding of the things I would face along the way and living with the DS as a post op. Please, especially take @Spiky Bugger's recommendation that you "slow down" and take your time to thoroughly research out your next step so you can make an informed decision based on your needs and not just what is nearby to where you live or what is easiest for some surgeon to perform. My sister has had an RnY since 2001, so believe me, I have seen the after effects of living with that procedure and it solidified my decision to go with the DS. The DS is the most logical transition from the sleeve and if you can get it done, it's easier to live with than the RnY. Way easier.

My sister's gastric sleeve worked great...for about a year or so. Unfortunately, her surgery was about five years ago.

Hi again @Moonbeam ! Glad to see you here.

I think you are already getting a lot of great advice, from my adorable @Spiky Bugger in particular. We are seeing more and more people wanting to revise from the sleeve to "something better" all the time, and unfortunately most of them will end up with gastric bypass simply because they consult with a surgeon who only does sleeve and gastric bypass, and they aren't going to recommend a procedure they don't do themselves and lose a paying customer...oh sorry, I meant patient. It's up to you to do your research and determine what revision is best for you.
As you are seeing, most of us here have the DS and we love it and recommend it. But it's not just from our personal experiences. The DS has the best long term statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for MAINTAINING that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. And it's important to think long term because morbid obesity is a chronic medical problem, not an acute illness.
There is someone around here, unfortunately I can't remember who, who has seen Dr. Jean Pierre and been told he does a real DS and was trained by Dr. Dennis Smith, who is a very well regarded DS surgeon (now in Celebration, FLA). Dr. Boyce is also a known DS surgeon and there are a bunch of people here who had their DS with him. And with so many people revising from sleeve and (even more so) lap band to better operations, every DS surgeon revises from those operations to the DS. Revising from gastric bypass to DS is much more complicated and only a few surgeons do it.
So spend some time reading the posts that are already here, learn everything you can, and then make your decision. Decide on your operation first, THEN decide on your surgeon.

I AM adorable, huh?

My sister's gastric sleeve worked great...for about a year or so. Unfortunately, her surgery was about five years ago.

Yeah, my sis has had so many issues. I keep hoping she'll seek a revision to a DS, but she's terrified. She just had a hip replacement (her own fault because she is non-compliant with supplements) and she needs one on the other hip. When the doctor did her RnY he put some kind of mesh around her pouch "to keep it from stretching out ever." I think some of her issues with being able to digest supplements and some foods comes down to whatever that thing is that he wrapped around her pouch. I would LOVE to get a skilled DS surgeon to evaluate that thing.

i was too lazy to read all the responses but looking at the people who responded there is absolutely nothing i could probably add. Well maybe the fact i was a distal RNY revision to DS. The distal rny made me miserable.

So I'll just say hello and welcome!

Latest posts

Back