My furkids...

Kirmy - good point about how your doggies assume GOOD things happen when they get in the car. My cats only experience anal probes, injections, nail clipping and belly shaves at the end of car trips. Onyx evacuates specially preserved DS-smelling poops the minute he's put in the car in a crate or carry-bag. I put the kittens (15 lbs apiece) into one medium sized dog crate, and they just get sullen and snotty. No way I could leave them for any time in the car, regardless of the temperature (which isn't an issue in our temperate winters).
OMG, If I put my cat in the car, he makes the most annoying meow-howling-whine ever. CONSTANTLY. I got so pissed on a 2hr ride that I pulled over and put his crate in the trunk cause I just couldn't take the yowling any longer. Yeah....I'm an asshole.

OMG, If I put my cat in the car, he makes the most annoying meow-howling-whine ever. CONSTANTLY. I got so pissed on a 2hr ride that I pulled over and put his crate in the trunk cause I just couldn't take the yowling any longer. Yeah....I'm an asshole.
Congratulations, you got something right about yourself. Please don't ever have children.

oh, @catecholamine , I hope you mean you took the cat out of the crate, put that in the trunk, and let him ride in the car, free, with you. You didn't put the actual cat in the trunk did you? (I'm not a cat person, but, oh my, poor cat!)
Nope...but he did stop yowling when I put him in there. I think it actually made him feel better. Who knows? Otherwise, I treat my kitty just fine, he has plenty of toys, a kitty castle, and he sleeps in bed with me. It's not like I abuse my cat. I just couldn't take the yowling.

Nope...but he did stop yowling when I put him in there. I think it actually made him feel better. Who knows? Otherwise, I treat my kitty just fine, he has plenty of toys, a kitty castle, and he sleeps in bed with me. It's not like I abuse my cat. I just couldn't take the yowling.
Fuck me running. I don't suppose you thought about the danger of ASPHYXIATION or anything, hmmm?

You know, you are just too annoying to read anymore. Have a nice life and stay the hell out of my inbox.

Fuck me running. I don't suppose you thought about the danger of ASPHYXIATION or anything, hmmm?

You know, you are just too annoying to read anymore. Have a nice life and stay the hell out of my inbox.
I opened the thing on the backseat so he'd be fine and I could keep an eye on him... Sheesh. He got over it. He wasn't even mad about it - he was asleep when I stopped. He wanted attention and petting, but that was about it...

So Cat, if I understand you correctly, your car is like mine. The back seat folds down so that the trunk space is accessible to the interior of the car? I can put ski poles, skis, and long lumber in the trunk and it pokes right through into the cabin of my car. So air flow would be the same in the trunk area as the rest of the cabin of the car? I would think that a cat in a carrier would STILL be better off in the actual car cabin, oxygen-wise. Next time, you might want to get some cat sedatives from your vet. I'd not recommend trunking your cat again. You really need to be able to make sure the cat is conscious and not suffering from exhaust fumes. The symptoms of exhaust fume asphyxiation is sleeping, by the way. So he might not have been "fine".

Years ago I witnessed our local police canine unit at the local zoo. The officer put the dog in the cruiser with the windows rolled down about 2 inches in the heat of the summer with the car off. After a little while, when he didn't appear to be leaving, I asked him what the hell he was doing with the dog in a hot car. I got a lecture about interfering with the police. I had my young children with me. So I called 9-1-1 and reported a dog locked in a hot car. Another police unit rolled up, and a heated discussion ensued between the officers. The dog was let out and given water. This dog later died from residual damage from the Twin Towers collapse, where he went to search for victims. The handler doesn't lock the dogs in his car anymore, either. And when I see him, I always say "hi".

Supposed animal lovers (like the canine unit) often justify their mistreatment of animals. It's still mistreatment. I look at it this way: You wouldn't lock a baby in the trunk, would you? Then don't put your cat there. And he wasn't "fine", he was sleepy from exhaust fumes.

I opened the thing on the backseat so he'd be fine and I could keep an eye on him... Sheesh. He got over it. He wasn't even mad about it - he was asleep when I stopped. He wanted attention and petting, but that was about it...

How did it help with the noise of his yowling if you opened the seat through to the trunk?

How did it help with the noise of his yowling if you opened the seat through to the trunk?
It still was lessened. Plus he actually stopped yowling about 3 mins after I put him back there. Next time I will try to cover his crate with a blanket and see if that helps. I think he just didn't like the motion, and the crate has holes all in it so he could see out and see through the windows and it upset him.

Latest posts

Back