Mexican Surgery and Going it Alone

Congratulations @HoneyChile ! I hope your recovery is going well and that you are comfortable. Please remember to stay hydrated above all else!

Quick Granny Weatherwax update:

"I aten't dead".

(I'm here, partially resleeved, hiatal hernia repaired, and switched. Set to fly home tomorrow. More later - broth beckons.)

On topic, since I am, in fact, in Mexico and alone,
Honey
;)

Thanks for posting! Welcome to the Dark Side.

Quick Granny Weatherwax update:

"I aten't dead".

(I'm here, partially resleeved, hiatal hernia repaired, and switched. Set to fly home tomorrow. More later - broth beckons.)

On topic, since I am, in fact, in Mexico and alone,
Honey
;)

YAY!! Congratulations!!

I was waiting to hear this! I'm still on track for heading down there on Friday and now I feel MUCH relief knowing you're ok and the surgery was a success.

I hope your trip home is relatively painless and goes smoothly. Fill us in on the nitty gritty when you can, but more importantly, take care of yourself. May your recovery be a speedy one!

(btw, you just MADE my day!)

@aprillperkins Perhaps you should start a thread on gall bladder removal instead of pursuing it here where it is off topic and will get lost. It's a subject many may have interest in so in its own thread, people can more easily find it and reference it.

Hi Clematis...thanks for the suggestion. I decided to just Google it.
Have you decided between going out of the country to get the DS or settling for the VSG in the U.S.? I've calmed down and am now back to the DS. My bmi is the same as yours so I understand the struggle of finding a doc willing to perform a DS, and we really don't have many affordable self pay options in the states, besides open. If you do find a bariatric surgeon in the states you are happy with please let me know, and I'll do the same.
Thanks!

@
Hi Clematis...thanks for the suggestion. I decided to just Google it.
Have you decided between going out of the country to get the DS or settling for the VSG in the U.S.? I've calmed down and am now back to the DS. My bmi is the same as yours so I understand the struggle of finding a doc willing to perform a DS, and we really don't have many affordable self pay options in the states, besides open. If you do find a bariatric surgeon in the states you are happy with please let me know, and I'll do the same.
Thanks!

@aprillperkins - I'm glad you decided to go for the DS!
If I hear of any affordable surgeons in the States I will also post. I know there are NONE in the state of Washington... the only one in the States that looked good was the doctor back east who does open surgery. After my two bouts with open abdominal surgery (I had ovarian cysts two different times), I was not willing to go that route from the get-go. If I get into surgery and it gets converted to open due to complications, sure - I will deal with it. Traveling home will be a real drag if that happens though... I'd probably have my daughter fly down to meet me in San Diego for the trip home.

I would have to travel for a DS as it really isn't done in Cleveland - maybe a few here and there but I want a surgeon who has done hundreds. Once one leaves one's local area, whether to another state or MX, there isn't going to be any continuity of care. And as self-pay, any complications are going to be on my nickel anyway. I'm leaning towards Mexicali Bariatric Center. They have the experience. They care for you in the hospital for 5-6 days vs the 2-3 days in US. And they are a $13k vs $35k. The other plus in MX is there's no costly nutritionists (who usually don't know about DS) and psychological testing. There is also not a 4 month wait. But if I was covered by insurance for bariatrics, I'd go to Dr Rabin or Dr K at opposite ends of CA, or Dr Inman in Indiana.

Thanks for looking out BebeZed and I'll post if I find anything!

@

@aprillperkins - I'm glad you decided to go for the DS!
If I hear of any affordable surgeons in the States I will also post. I know there are NONE in the state of Washington... the only one in the States that looked good was the doctor back east who does open surgery. After my two bouts with open abdominal surgery (I had ovarian cysts two different times), I was not willing to go that route from the get-go. If I get into surgery and it gets converted to open due to complications, sure - I will deal with it. Traveling home will be a real drag if that happens though... I'd probably have my daughter fly down to meet me in San Diego for the trip home.

Clematis have you looked into medical tourism insurance? It's supposed to protect you should any complications arise during your stay and even for a time after you get back home. When I was gonna settle for the sleeve it was a requirement of Dr. Kelly's for me to purchase it, which ultimately opened my eyes to it because I had never heard of it before.

I would have to travel for a DS as it really isn't done in Cleveland - maybe a few here and there but I want a surgeon who has done hundreds. Once one leaves one's local area, whether to another state or MX, there isn't going to be any continuity of care. And as self-pay, any complications are going to be on my nickel anyway. I'm leaning towards Mexicali Bariatric Center. They have the experience. They care for you in the hospital for 5-6 days vs the 2-3 days in US. And they are a $13k vs $35k. The other plus in MX is there's no costly nutritionists (who usually don't know about DS) and psychological testing. There is also not a 4 month wait. But if I was covered by insurance for bariatrics, I'd go to Dr Rabin or Dr K at opposite ends of CA, or Dr Inman in Indiana.

@aprillperkins The only non-US tourism insurance I can find is for hospitals who are members of Joint Commission International. There are only 4 hospitals in Mexico -- not the one in Mexicali. (JCI membership is exorbitantly expensive, apparently, so I don;t know that being a member is that important. The Mexicali hospital is a Johnson & Johnson training center which I feel gives it credibility.) BTW the complications insurance in US that I have seen does NOT cover DS, only band, VSG and RNY.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting this but have you looked into Novamar medical tourism insurance?

@aprillperkins The only non-US tourism insurance I can find is for hospitals who are members of Joint Commission International. There are only 4 hospitals in Mexico -- not the one in Mexicali. (JCI membership is exorbitantly expensive, apparently, so I don;t know that being a member is that important. The Mexicali hospital is a Johnson & Johnson training center which I feel gives it credibility.) BTW the complications insurance in US that I have seen does NOT cover DS, only band, VSG and RNY.

Novamar is not issuing medical tourism insurance according to its website. It says it has put it "on hold."

But if I was covered by insurance for bariatrics, I'd go to Dr Rabin or Dr K at opposite ends of CA, or Dr Inman in Indiana.

Amen to that! If I had the proper insurance I would definitely go with Dr K.
But alas, my insurance emphatically states that it does not cover weight loss. :/

When I called they said they're looking for another underwriter??? And they expect to have their policy revised before the end of this month. Novamar covers Almater Hospital/Mexicali Bariatric Center and the DS procedure. I hope they get it together soon I liked the policy I saw and hope the new one is similar. The thing with Novamar is (I was told) you can't purchase it until 3 weeks prior to your procedure...but I'm not sure if that's a Novamar policy.

Novamar is not issuing medical tourism insurance according to its website. It says it has put it "on hold."

Latest posts

Back