Mexican Surgery and Going it Alone

@BebeZed Did you have lap or open?

Was it wearing a clown nose? Was it Tina, er, Feh?

Definitely lap. If it was open I'd be rolled up in a little ball somewhere in San Diego whimpering about how much I hurt. I gotta give those who undergo open surgery a LOT of credit - I've had two open abdominal surgeries and it is no picnic. And I have a very high tolerance to pain (no brain no pain as my stepdad always said... lol)

If there had been clown noses and other such goings-on, I must've missed the parade. Typical... lol

@BebeZed Did he tell you what size he made your sleeve?

Hmmm that's one detail that doesn't seem to be on the surgical report and I didn't think to ask. It doesn't seem to be tiny because I'm already able to get in most of my fluids now but I really have to keep after it. And the more fluids, the more cruises from the comfy chair in the living room to the not-so-comfy porcelain chair at the other end of the house. Yes, I know walking is good for me but sometimes it's difficult while doing the pee-pee dance LOL

Hmmm that's one detail that doesn't seem to be on the surgical report and I didn't think to ask. It doesn't seem to be tiny because I'm already able to get in most of my fluids now but I really have to keep after it. And the more fluids, the more cruises from the comfy chair in the living room to the not-so-comfy porcelain chair at the other end of the house. Yes, I know walking is good for me but sometimes it's difficult while doing the pee-pee dance LOL
Actually with a DS, having a larger sleeve is better. Less chance of reflux the rest of your life.

If it was open I'd be rolled up in a little ball

I had 2 C-sections with 6'+ incisions. I was in pain for weeks after the first (less so for the second) all the while having to lift, carry, nurse and change a 8.5# newborn, do laundry, cook -- with very little sleep and raging hormones.

A virgin lap DS and all I have to do is sip and sleep afterwards? I got this.

Sounds like a well thought out good decision to me. My best wishes to you for your success.

I had 2 C-sections with 6'+ incisions. I was in pain for weeks after the first (less so for the second) all the while having to lift, carry, nurse and change a 8.5# newborn, do laundry, cook -- with very little sleep and raging hormones.

A virgin lap DS and all I have to do is sip and sleep afterwards? I got this.
You will be good, but believe me it is a lot more than sipping and resting ...especially if everything tastes horrible for a while after surgery. I don't want to discourage you and everybody has their own experience, but it is a rough go for a little while unless you are Rob who was up and around doing physical stuff in 4 days.

Last edited:
You will be good, but believe me it is a lot more than sipping and resting ...especially if everything tastes horrible for a while after surgery. I don't want to discourage you and everybody has their own experience, but it is a rough go for a little while.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. So far, nothing weird... just comical poops and I am very uncomfortable trying to sleep in my own bed. I'd been sleeping in my comfy recliner but last night I tried sleeping in my own bed and kept waking up feel uncomfortable - not pain really, but my an irritating sensation. I stuck with it until morning because my little dog was so happy to be all snuggled up against me. Tonight, however, it's back to the recliner.

Now that I think of it, there IS one thing that I now despise that I used to love: apple juice. It is just too sweet. I had to water it down a whole lot in the hospital to get it down. Eww. LOL

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. So far, nothing weird... just comical poops and I am very uncomfortable trying to sleep in my own bed. I'd been sleeping in my comfy recliner but last night I tried sleeping in my own bed and kept waking up feel uncomfortable - not pain really, but my an irritating sensation. I stuck with it until morning because my little dog was so happy to be all snuggled up against me. Tonight, however, it's back to the recliner.

Now that I think of it, there IS one thing that I now despise that I used to love: apple juice. It is just too sweet. I had to water it down a whole lot in the hospital to get it down. Eww. LOL

Hi BebeZed, I'm so glad to hear you are ok! Sorry for the late response but for some reason I don't get alerts from this forum anymore. I just happened to check today and 2 more pages...woohoo! But seriously glad you are ok! Do you mind sharing your meals and drinks and quantities in a typical day?
I can't believe your gallbladder wasn't removed but glad you mentioned it. It is something I have to remember to request and hopefully there is not an extra fee.
I was told that they remove hernia for free but never thought about the findings of other things. Did they charge you extra for anything? What kind of meds did they provide for you to take home? Have you started your vitamin regimen yet?
I'm so excited for you! And I'm glad you are ok...

Yeah, not happy. I could wait for the GB to act up in a few months and then my insurance would pay for its removal, but I'd rather pay and have it done in one surgery.

Hi BebeZed, I'm so glad to hear you are ok! Sorry for the late response but for some reason I don't get alerts from this forum anymore. I just happened to check today and 2 more pages...woohoo! But seriously glad you are ok! Do you mind sharing your meals and drinks and quantities in a typical day?
I can't believe your gallbladder wasn't removed but glad you mentioned it. It is something I have to remember to request and hopefully there is not an extra fee.
I was told that they remove hernia for free but never thought about the findings of other things. Did they charge you extra for anything? What kind of meds did they provide for you to take home? Have you started your vitamin regimen yet?
I'm so excited for you! And I'm glad you are ok...

Hi! :) They do charge extra for gall bladder removal - @Clematis asked about this and they said it was $2k extra. Sounds like it would be well worth it. There were no extra charges for me at all - they fixed a hiatal hernia for me too while they were in there for no extra charge. They gave me 2 weeks worth of Nexium and a number of pain pills (I think 6 total) but I only ended up using one of them. As for the vitamins, they said to hold off 30 days but I've been taking multivitamins without incident. I'll start the rest in a couple of weeks.

As for what I'm eating... well right now I'm officially still in the full liquids phase. Yesterday I had:
8oz of cream of chicken/cream of mushroom mixed with a scoop of unflavored protein powder
About 8 pieces total of watermelon and honeydew (yeah, they consider that a liquid! lol)
8oz protein shake - 1/4 cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup milk mixed with vanilla protein powder and amaretto sugar free syrup.. yum!
Lots and lots of water (I only kept track until I got to 64oz...) - I sip constantly because I've always been like that

That's been about typical for this week. I officially start soft/pureed foods Friday. Should be fun :)

Anyway, I'm doing quite well and really happy I had the surgery.

Hi! :) They do charge extra for gall bladder removal - @Clematis asked about this and they said it was $2k extra. Sounds like it would be well worth it. There were no extra charges for me at all - they fixed a hiatal hernia for me too while they were in there for no extra charge. They gave me 2 weeks worth of Nexium and a number of pain pills (I think 6 total) but I only ended up using one of them. As for the vitamins, they said to hold off 30 days but I've been taking multivitamins without incident. I'll start the rest in a couple of weeks.

As for what I'm eating... well right now I'm officially still in the full liquids phase. Yesterday I had:
8oz of cream of chicken/cream of mushroom mixed with a scoop of unflavored protein powder
About 8 pieces total of watermelon and honeydew (yeah, they consider that a liquid! lol)
8oz protein shake - 1/4 cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup milk mixed with vanilla protein powder and amaretto sugar free syrup.. yum!
Lots and lots of water (I only kept track until I got to 64oz...) - I sip constantly because I've always been like that

That's been about typical for this week. I officially start soft/pureed foods Friday. Should be fun :)

Anyway, I'm doing quite well and really happy I had the surgery.

Yes you are doing very well. I'm so happy for you girl!
I almost choked when I read you were knocking on 60. I had to take another look at your profile to make sure it wasn't a typo. From looking at your pic alone, as I have been, I never would have guessed.
Thanks for responding..

Yes you are doing very well. I'm so happy for you girl!
I almost choked when I read you were knocking on 60. I had to take another look at your profile to make sure it wasn't a typo. From looking at your pic alone, as I have been, I never would have guessed.
Thanks for responding..

Well thank you! For a moment I thought I'd used a snapshot from about 10 years ago but I just looked and that actually is a selfie done just a few months ago... I think in early summer. Makeup and lighting is everything ;)

When I get a bit smaller I'm sure I'll take more pictures - if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I *am* losing weight. It'll be interesting to see if I also age without the padding filling out the wrinkles :D

Well thank you! For a moment I thought I'd used a snapshot from about 10 years ago but I just looked and that actually is a selfie done just a few months ago... I think in early summer. Makeup and lighting is everything ;)

When I get a bit smaller I'm sure I'll take more pictures - if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I *am* losing weight. It'll be interesting to see if I also age without the padding filling out the wrinkles :D

You are very welcome.
It's funny how I've been trying to prepare my hubby for the changes my body is gonna go through. The sagging skin especially on my belly, my deflated breasts. All he wants to know is if the sex will feel the same! Too much info but it's true. And I'm more worried about how my face is gonna age.

Latest posts

Back