Mexican Surgery and Going it Alone

Somehow I missed all the newer posts on this thread. So a belated congratulations @HoneyChile on you almost brand new DS! I'm so glad things worked out for you in Mexico and I'm sure you will soon share your experience there with us. this will be so helpful to so many others!

I hope Novamar gets its act together, too. I would feel so much better with complications insurance.

More than one of the insurance programs I saw was quite deceptive in what they paid out. It was easy to get excited about "$150,000 in coverage" for a $2500 premium, only to read the fine print and discover it meant only $5000 for MEDICAL fees, the rest was for medical evacuations back to US (up to $50,000), flight and hotel for your spouse (up to $50,000) and some other "who cares?" sorts of things. All I care about is the medical fees; less the $2500 premium there would only be $2500 left for that. Useless when repairing a serious complication in a major US city hospital could easily run beyond $50,000.

Clematis do you know when you're going? Or a "round about" date? I'd love to have a surgery buddy, if you don't mind. I'm hoping to be able to go by spring break week 2016 or the early part of June 2016.

I hope Novamar gets its act together, too. I would feel so much better with complications insurance.

More than one of the insurance programs I saw was quite deceptive in what they paid out. It was easy to get excited about "$150,000 in coverage" for a $2500 premium, only to read the fine print and discover it meant only $5000 for MEDICAL fees, the rest was for medical evacuations back to US (up to $50,000), flight and hotel for your spouse (up to $50,000) and some other "who cares?" sorts of things. All I care about is the medical fees; less the $2500 premium there would only be $2500 left for that. Useless when repairing a serious complication in a major US city hospital could easily run beyond $50,000.

@aprillperkins I'm aiming for two months from now. My sons are in their early 20s so I don't have to work around school schedules which I suspect you do.

Just going to randomly post a few answers to questions asked about in this thread.

First, concerning gallbladder issues after DS. I was reading a study not 2 hours ago with this information, yet I can't seem to find it again. I've looked for it for 20 minutes now...I'll continue to look and if I find it I'll post the address. The study stated that there was ~22% complications concerning the gallbladder in the years following DS. (Found the study! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26156307 )

I wouldn't have a problem going with Dr. Esquerra. I very much doubt that Dr. Ungson would teach someone for years that he didn't believe was capable of eventually performing the procedure independently. Nor would he allow that person to link his name to the credibility that he's built throughout his career (not to mention that this would also tarnish the legacy of a deceased protege, Dr. Aceves). Plus, the surgery is done at a JCI accredited hospital. They're not going to risk losing that certification (along with the General Health Council certification) by allowing a doctor to perform a surgery that's above his head.

Also, I had an open multiple level spinal fusion surgery a few years ago. It took 6 weeks for the 17cm wound to heal. It was at my waist line so all my pants rubbed on it. It got infected. I felt like my insides were going to spill out for many weeks. If I had my way I'd never, ever, ever get another open surgery again. But if it was a choice of an open DS, or a lap. ________(fill in the blank with infinitely inferior bariatric surgery), It wouldn't be a hard decision.

Last edited:
the surgery is done at a JCI accredited hospital

Almater Hospital is not accredited by JCI. Check JCI website - only 4 sort of random hospitals in MX which makes me think they sprung for the VERY expensive accreditation just to give them credibility with medical tourists. Maybe Almater doesn;t feel they need that.

Almater Hospital is not accredited by JCI. Check JCI website - only 4 sort of random hospitals in MX which makes me think they sprung for the VERY expensive accreditation just to give them credibility with medical tourists. Maybe Almater doesn;t feel they need that.

You're absolutely right about that. I wonder why they advertise it on their site? That's wrong of them. Anyway, if having a JCI accredited hospital is important, call Hospital Cima in Hermosillo (might have to go through a medical tourism company because of the language barrier). Dr. Esquerra also does surgery in that hospital. But my point remains. At least 1 hospital with JCI accreditation thinks he's good enough to perform the DS in their hospital.

@Soonerjoseph This is all I saw on Almater Hospital site: "The Mexican government implemented a certification program, based on Joint Commission International (JCI) criteria, to reward healthcare facilities that are providing their patients with world-class medical care." So NOT JCI accredited, but clever marketing.

My point about JCI accreditation was not competence, rather the requirement of complication insurance companies that a hospital be JCI accredited. No JCI, no insurance.

And I am not in any way doubting Esquerra's competence.

I thought I'd post an update that yes, I am going to Mexico with Ungson's protege Esquerra. But no, I will not go alone and will take my husband (although he doesn't know about surgery as yet.) I do plan to stay a full 10 days, either in Mexicali or San Diego.

FYI: Perhaps because they are trying to promote Esquerra, a virgin DS is "on sale" for $11k vs the usual $14k. If I had it in USA, it would have been $40k with air fare. That's a lot of extra cash for complications (which insurance may not cover no matter where it is done) or for plastics.

I thought I'd post an update that yes, I am going to Mexico with Ungson's protege Esquerra. But no, I will not go alone and will take my husband (although he doesn't know about surgery as yet.) I do plan to stay a full 10 days, either in Mexicali or San Diego.

FYI: Perhaps because they are trying to promote Esquerra, a virgin DS is "on sale" for $11k vs the usual $14k. If I had it in USA, it would have been $40k with air fare. That's a lot of extra cash for complications (which insurance may not cover no matter where it is done) or for plastics.

Congratulations on your decision! And it's a good thing to take your husband with you. Safer, less stress, and you get to share the experience with him.

When I was last quoted a price for DR. Ungson, back in April, it was 11k for a virgin DS then as well. I was quite happy it was still that price.

@Clematis good for you! I'm glad your husband will be there as well. And 11K is as good a price for a DS as I've heard anywhere.

If your GERD is as mild as it sounds, IMHO that shouldn't rule out a DS.

Latest posts

Back