Mexican Surgery and Going it Alone

@aprillperkins I can appreciate your frustration. You must feel like the rug was pulled out from under you. The most important advice I can give you is to not rush into anything. You are all over the board right now. Take some deep breaths and make your decisions when you are calm and you can be confident about them.

Re: Dr. Esquerra - it might not take so long to learn more about him. I don't know how long it will take, and neither do you. It's possible that patients of his may start showing up here or on other forums in the near future. Your decision of course, but I wouldn't rule him out so quickly. I don't know your whole story, but I do know that you chose the DS for a reason, maybe more than one reason. And while there are some people who do well with VSG, we know at least 5 year follow-up that they have problems with weight regain, and that resolution of comorbidities isn't as good as with either gastric bypass or DS. So if, for example, you have concerns about type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea, or high blood pressure, you are setting yourself up for a much lower chance of success unless you have the DS.

Re: mini-gastric bypass, this is an operation that should be avoided (this is what I meant about you being all over the board - you are really grasping at straws on this one). This operation is not, and has never been, a standard of care bariatric operation. Results for weight loss are probably about the same as with RNY gastric bypass, BUT this operation sets you up for bile reflux, which is very difficult to treat because antacids don't work. Bile is a base, the opposite of an acid. To the best of my knowledge (I don't claim to know everything, after all) there is only one group in the USA doing this operation. I would recommend avoiding it at all costs. And btw it has many of the same disadvantages as the standard RNY gastric bypass - can't take NSAIds for the rest of your life, possible dumping, permanent low fat, low carb, low calorie diet. If you want a gastric bypass, have a gastric bypass, not this crappy version.

Personally, I would say if you just can't figure out a way to have a DS, I would go with VSG, because it preserves normal stomach function, and because if you do want/need revision down the line it much easier and safer to revise VSG to DS than gastric bypass to DS. But if I were in your shoes, I would either hold off a little to see what feedback comes down the pike for Dr. Esquerra, or go to Dr. Greenbaum for open DS. Open surgery is not the end of the world. Until a relatively short time ago, all bariatric surgery was open. But it's your call.

Hey Larra!

Thanks for the advise and yes I am all over the place. I thought I had this in the bag! I did all of my research and now I have to work double time to find something else.
I've heard and read the good and bad of the mini gastric bypass and my only concern was the bile reflux, which every doc I spoke with this morning regarding it made it seem as if it was no big deal, and that it isn't as common a side effect. But it scared me enough to back up from it.
Open surgery is not an option it scares the crapola out of me. I'd rather pay more and go elsewhere. I'm just getting away from my fear of being under anesthesia because of my sleep apnea, but I have to do something to get this weight off of me. After 7 or so years of dieting, exercise and doctor supervised weight loss programs with hard core weight loss pills, my metabolism is down to an all time low and my weight is up to an all time high of 230 lbs with a bmi of 40. No insurance until Jan. 2016 and it still won't cover bariatric surgery under individual plans and would probably never cover DS with my bmi.
So I'm just gonna go with the VSG for now and if need be, a revision to the DS later on. I plan to have the surgery either after Thanksgiving or after Christmas of this year. If something reliable comes into play before then I will definitely jump on it. If not, and God willing, I'll be sleeved before the New Year by Dr. Ramos Kelly at Hospital Angeles.

I would speak with someone about your fears regarding an open procedure. I think you are making too much of it. Speak with the surgeon and learn the real risks and recovery time. Maybe speak with other patients like @Elizabeth N.

I don't think I'm making too much of anything, but thanks for the suggestions nonetheless.

I would speak with someone about your fears regarding an open procedure. I think you are making too much of it. Speak with the surgeon and learn the real risks and recovery time. Maybe speak with other patients like @Elizabeth N.

Maybe I didn't make things clear but I've done my homework and I know the risks involved in both open and laparascopic surgery, as well as the bariatric surgeries.
Thanks.

I don't think I'm making too much of anything, but thanks for the suggestions nonetheless.

@aprillperkins I had open DS surgery w Dr. Greenbaum 7 months ago and I'd do it again no question. I have no regrets! I'd be happy to talk through it w you if you want to talk about any questions or concerns w open surgery or Dr. G. You can pm me too if you don't want to discuss it on the board.

Good luck w your decision. Please don't rush into anything.

Hi Jen-2 and thanks...I will PM you!

@aprillperkins I had open DS surgery w Dr. Greenbaum 7 months ago and I'd do it again no question. I have no regrets! I'd be happy to talk through it w you if you want to talk about any questions or concerns w open surgery or Dr. G. You can pm me too if you don't want to discuss it on the board.

Hi star...
...although I am still uncomfortable using Dr. Esquerra, I appreciate the time and effort you took to find and post these links!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Jen-2. Would you mind walking me through the steps so I can pm you? Or you can pm me and I can reply?
Thank you!

Hi Jen-2. Would you mind walking me through the steps so I can pm you? Or you can pm me and I can reply?
Thank you!
Click on her avatar (the picture over on the left side under her name). An overlay will pop up. One of the options is to "Start a Conversation" which is what we call a PM.

Thanks southernlady,

I did see that option just wasn't sure that was the same as pm.

Click on her avatar (the picture over on the left side under her name). An overlay will pop up. One of the options is to "Start a Conversation" which is what we call a PM.

@star0210 thank you for posting the links. It sounds like Dr. Esquerra worked with Dr. Ungson for quite some time and has genuine DS experience, though of course these are publicity materials, and as such will always present things in the best light. Still, they are informative and reassuring. Each individual will still have to make his or her own decision. Hopefully we'll hear directly from patients of Dr. Esquerra at some point in the not too distant future.

Ok, I ignored this thread until I got tagged, and then I scanned quickly. My input:

1. Please feel free to pm me with specific questions and requests for info. I know this response will be insufficient.

2. Travel alone: No input because I was blessed with exceptional support.

3. Mexico: If you are dumb enough to go to anyone but Ungson, don't complain to me about it.

5. Greenbaum: He was the second surgeon I interviewed for my cash Ds ten years ago. He had just returned from a fully self financed fellowship of many months with the Rabkins in CA in order to learn not jus Ds but revisions at the hands of the masters. I didn't use him for two reasons: No clear cash program and he was embedded in the worst hospital system in the area
. Where he stayed out of laudable principle until he got driven out.

6. Open vs. Lap: Kids, I give thanks daily that my brave and dead surgeon not only hated the robot, but who, once he made the standard incision and found my guts were mutated, did not wimp out and give me a RNY, he sliced me wide open, fixed my adhesions, replaced my guts and gave me the promised perfect DS, with all support people fully on board and who all went way beyond expectations to save my life.

So, OP, if any of this touches you, PM me.

Latest posts

Back