Me being a know-it-all…

Spiky Bugger

While you are (silently or openly) whining about inflation, have you thought about keeping up with it?

Right now, banks are paying something like 0.1% interest on savings and up to 2%+ on CDs. BFD, right?

But didja know that the US Treasury Department will pay you over 9.5% on even SMALL I-Bond purchases?
•The down side… it should be money you won’t need for five years, but even if you do need it, there’s a three-month interest penalty and you’d still come out ahead of what the banks are paying. And it CAN’T be money you’ll need in the next 12 months, because you can’t get it.
•The up side is that even very small amounts can be invested.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

So if you have $1000 in a bank savings account, in one year you’ll earn about $6 and in an I-bond, you’ll earn $96.20. But even if you can only come up with $100, you’ll earn $9.62 instead of just 60¢. I think. (I intentionally omitted compounding.). I hope my vision didn’t screw up where the decimal goes. And that $9 will buy you 1.3 gallons of gas in CA.

But didja know that the US Treasury Department will pay you over 9.5% on even SMALL I-Bond purchases?

uncharacteristically, I did know from reading smart people on the innerwebz.

BUT I can't get anything like smart savings plans going until I am settled somewhere I can afford to live with a job that pays and works out.

I have a plan and it's not a very good one but it's the best one I can come up with and am applying to work for a therapy company that is known to be worse than the one I am currently working for. I know I can get more money, anyway. I want to start PRN so I can tell if it's going to work or be impossible. if it will work, I am going to move back over the river to The Dalles if I can find anything and Hood River if not.

I saw my former landlady in TD advertising the same size apartment in an old building as the one I was renting up until a year ago. it was $900 then and it's $1350 now.

and then the price of gas! poor people are so screwed!

no, like nursing, therapist can be travelors where they get paid by the travel company and the facility pays HUGE amounts to have them come, usually for a 13 week contract.

just like with nursing, employers won't use that huge amount of money to pay and keep their staff and then they have to hire travelors. in my current buildings they call them "agency" staff, but I've always called them travelors.

"healthcare" is SO broken!

no, like nursing, therapist can be travelors where they get paid by the travel company and the facility pays HUGE amounts to have them come, usually for a 13 week contract.

just like with nursing, employers won't use that huge amount of money to pay and keep their staff and then they have to hire travelers. in my current buildings they call them "agency" staff, but I've always called them travelors.

"healthcare" is SO broken!

Ah, makes sense. Agree it is broken. I would gladly pay far more taxes for Scandinavian-style universal healthcare to be made available to all....

Wishing you the best on this journey.

Latest posts

Back