Lying Liars on the new OH R&R3.0

speaking of taking it personally, I used to be cyber friends with a woman who had a band and we actually met in person. as far as I know, it's all good.

well she ended up leaving a group we were both in and I found out later that when I posted things like "I'm so glad I found out about the VSG or I would have gotten a band" she took offense.

I sure did not mean that - if I'd had any idea it would bother her, I'd have worded it differently at least. I mean, I would have much rather have supported her as an individual than theoretically help out some pre-ops who are considering a band.

apparently, you have the thing inside you and it's hard to be objective about it.

Terri - you can expect more drama if you want to see some, there is bound to be more.

Diana, I couldn't remember why I had you blocked for awhile (this was quite awhile ago) but now I am thinking you posted that those of use with a VSG were going to regain. I was all WTF?! :mad: I'm not going to regain!! ;)

@JackieOnLine , it's quite possible to eat around ANY weight loss surgery, even the DS. I know YOU already know this, but I'm stating it for the pre-ops out there reading. Just like I used to (mistakenly) think **I** would never need iron infusions (had them in 2012, and will have them again), I've learned the hard way to "never say never". Regain is bound to happen. People take offense to the most benign statements. If someone WANTS to get their feelings hurt, they certainly will.

What I probably wrote was something like "VSGers are far more likely to regain a significant amount of weight than DSers, because the sleeves WILL stretch, and then you're back to where you were before - dieting - because you have no malabsorption to rely on." And then pointed to the stats - including Cirangle's OWN stats.

I'm sure I never said anything like "Jackie, YOU are going to get fat again - I guarandamntee it." I always spoke in terms of stats and thus averages and what was more likely than not to happen.

It is entertaining to see how many really strange people consider themselves normal and everyone else a little off. Or to see how many who STILL thoroughly believe proven lies...or DO NOT believe them and repeat them as fact anyway. Remember when you @DianaCox posted something that PROVED Marilyn Baby Catcher was lying and LeaAnn's response was along the lines of "Well, yeah, she's LYING, but I like her better, so it's okay"?

All I know is that from reading this thread after watching this week's"Game of Thrones", I will be on full alert at future wedding celebrations.

In terms of people viewing themselves as the norm and others being off, it's a bit like the children of Lake Wobegon all being above average.

Finally, and it is a complete non sequitur, which I feel compelled to share anyway, the answer to "WTH is it actually *snowing* outside my window?" is yes, folks. As if yesterday's golf-ball sized hail wasn't enough - winter has apparently returned to the northern suburbs of Chicago.

Last edited:
All I know is that from reading this thread after watching this week's"Game of Thrones", I will be on full alert at future wedding celebrations.

In terms of people viewing themselves as the norm and others being off, it's a bit like the children of Lake Wobegon all being above average.

Finally, and it is a complete non sequitur, which I feel compelled to share anyway, the answer to "WTH is it actually *snowing* outside my window?" is yes, folks. As if yesterday's golf-ball sized hail wasn't enough - winter has apparently returned to the northern suburbs of Chicago.

LOVE Lake Wobegon. And I was talking to my BFF in Central Wisconsin during a hail storm yesterday. I live in the Great Southwest...and temps have been in the 80s and up.

Last edited:

I am sorry spring is not showing up in your neck of the woods...

Diana, I have no doubt you remember it more accurately than I do. I do know I didn't like the "surgery wars" when they first showed up on the VSG forum and I joined in defending "our" place from those attacking DSers.

later, after being a regular on the (original REAL) R&R I learned the more variety in who we talk to the better. and I won't melt into a puddle of goo if people disagree with me, or get mad at me. and, no, we CAN'T all get along because we will never all agree where the line is or even if there should be a line.

for the record, I went to a perfectly lovely wedding with people I met on R&R but I know the bride had originally planned to invite "everybody" and after that first one she changed her mind.

Sue, I think a lot of times by the time "proof" comes out that something was a lie, people have long since stopped listening. you might as well be quacking like a duck; they have already decided.

I can tell you Kim was a lovely hostess to me twice now and I hope this blows over - but whatever. I am now posting on OH for various reasons none of which she needs to be suspicious of but I suppose she is.

that place changes a person, and not for the better!

"for the record, I went to a perfectly lovely wedding with people I met on R&R but I know the bride had originally planned to invite "everybody" and after that first one she changed her mind." That was a VERY smart decision - I'm sure that event would have been hijacked by the attention whores as well.

"Sue, I think a lot of times by the time "proof" comes out that something was a lie, people have long since stopped listening. you might as well be quacking like a duck; they have already decided." Absolutely - and it takes a bigger person than most are to admit they were wrong and jumped to the wrong conclusion, especially when the truth is coming from a source OTHER than someone they like.

A mind is a terrible thing to close.

Our newscaster called our weather today here in San Jose "Chamber of Commerce" weather. It was gorgeous. I wouldn't know - I was prepping for and attending two Patent Examiner interviews, and then had to make our Passover Seder. But I did sit outside with my kids during the prep work, and then with some of our guests at one point this evening - it was lovely.

I have to go to VA on Saturday for 9 days - IT HAD BETTER NOT SNOW!!!

Diana, I have no doubt you remember it more accurately than I do. I do know I didn't like the "surgery wars" when they first showed up on the VSG forum and I joined in defending "our" place from those attacking DSers.

later, after being a regular on the (original REAL) R&R I learned the more variety in who we talk to the better. and I won't melt into a puddle of goo if people disagree with me, or get mad at me. and, no, we CAN'T all get along because we will never all agree where the line is or even if there should be a line.

for the record, I went to a perfectly lovely wedding with people I met on R&R but I know the bride had originally planned to invite "everybody" and after that first one she changed her mind.

Sue, I think a lot of times by the time "proof" comes out that something was a lie, people have long since stopped listening. you might as well be quacking like a duck; they have already decided.

I can tell you Kim was a lovely hostess to me twice now and I hope this blows over - but whatever. I am now posting on OH for various reasons none of which she needs to be suspicious of but I suppose she is.

that place changes a person, and not for the better!

Jackie, I know some people misunderstood me - and that some of it was my "fault" because of the deliberate tack that I took to garner attention to the benefits of the DS. I knew people were getting upset by my posts, because they took them personally, but I didn't change my tack, because having people upset at me was of less concern to me than spreading information about the DS.

But - it did surprise and disappoint me how many people believed the lies, even after I rebutted them, over and over. The infectiveness of the vituperative behavior and the insistence of some on believing the unbelievable bad things said about me, when nothing I ever did before that upset them (speaking the truth they didn't want to hear about the benefits of the DS over the other surgeries) was remotely related to what I was accused of by those two bitter whackjobs, was - perhaps naively - astonishing and irritating to me.

As a lawyer, of course, I was pissed about being falsely and unfairly called a tax cheat (the IRS audited us, garnished my wages during the 2 years it took them to match up pieces of paper THEY lost, and then paid us all our money back plus interest). As a biotech patent attorney looking for a job in the Bay area after my company was sold, I was REALLY not happy to hear in Marilyn's own words that she was posting on various message boards that, among other things, she was spreading lies to her "boyfriend" (for a short while) who was a mover and shaker in this area in my exact field - and seeing her claim that he said that nobody would hire me (I was somewhat well known in my field, but not nearly as well-known as him, and we had met, briefly). But it offended me personally that I would be accused of heartlessly making her homeless, when she was a deadbeat tenant for nearly a year, while making about $90K/year, who was given 8 weeks notice to get her deadbeat ass out of our house, and that people would repeat that lie over and over and over again, despite my flat-out statements to the contrary which - if I was lying - could have been actionable.

What happened after that was a combination of "Pacific Heights" and "Gas Light." It was not fun - even though it was educational (I learned a whole bunch of law that I was not really interested in!), at times entertaining (maybe someday I'll post the [public record] 29 page load of nonsense she FILED as her rebuttal to the motion for sanctions for committing litigation abuses such as forgery and perjury, and which the judge told us to file - the vast majority of which "rebuttal" had NOTHING to do with rebutting the motion, but went on for pages about how my shit stunk up her hair ALL the way back in the detached pool house, and my house had cat vomit everywhere drying on the furniture, and describing herself as a military mother when the judge had just lost his son in Afghanistan), and garnered me some really dear friends who helped me in many important ways - which they didn't have to do.

So, I won in SO many ways.

So here are my thoughts: WLS is kinda like religion. Even when you point out facts and stats people take it very personally and feel attacked. So if someone is of the RNY religion (already converted, not investigating) and you come up with "I have a message from God saying the DS is the way the truth and the light", the RNY peeps are going to take it as an attack on the RNY region.

If that analogy makes no sense, I blame codeine!

Oh, I fully understand that when people make choices about their religion or their surgery, and someone criticizes THE (generic) choice - and supports it with facts and statistics and pointing out that the people were lied to (by commission or omission) by their surgeon whom they worship - the people get angry and defensive about THEIR (personal) choice. And yes, my posts were an attack on the SURGERIES, though not on THEM. What surprised me was how people took my posts of comparative information about the DS as an attack on them PERSONALLY. And then applied that anger to justify supporting two obvious liars who were attacking me on completely different grounds.

OTOH, before those liars went off on me, I was perfectly happy to use the anger of the people who felt personally dissed to fuel the surgery war thread, so - maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. Perhaps what is surprising is that I was surprised. As I have amply demonstrated, I'm not that people-smart.

Latest posts

Back