Lot's of info on Protein shakes but what about calcium citrate

Up2Me3

I have calcium citrate pills..........but they are like horse pills and I don't think I'll be getting those down for a bit. I have purchased some calcium citrate from the doctors office that is crystals\powdery....to mix in drinks or shakes.

What I'd like to know - is there any thing like that in little to go packets that you can stick in your purse and ake throughout the day?

I have calcium citrate pills..........but they are like horse pills and I don't think I'll be getting those down for a bit. I have purchased some calcium citrate from the doctors office that is crystals\powdery....to mix in drinks or shakes.

What I'd like to know - is there any thing like that in little to go packets that you can stick in your purse and ake throughout the day?

Sam's club has a petite calcium citrate with D3 and K which is a nice normal sized tablet. There are tons of calcium citrate powders for sale on amazon. I didn't see any pre-made packets but, I didn't look very hard because I like to just swallow the pills. I haven't had trouble with the pills since pretty early post-op.

Sam's club has a petite calcium citrate with D3 and K which is a nice normal sized tablet. There are tons of calcium citrate powders for sale on amazon. I didn't see any pre-made packets but, I didn't look very hard because I like to just swallow the pills. I haven't had trouble with the pills since pretty early post-op.
Thanks! I've found a lot of powders but at the clinic they gave me sample packets of the crystals....I can find that bulk but not the nice sample packets....thought they'd be nice for on the go!

I'm sure that YOU know this, but for newbies...

It is almost impossible to find a screen shot of HOW MUCH calcium is in one of those...but it says to compare to Citrical Petites...so I did.

They contain 200 mg of calcium per tablet. (A serving is defined as two tablets yielding 400 mg of calcium.)

Right now, I down 4-6 of the BA chewables per day...I probably need six, but sometimes I miss a dose or two. If I went to the petites, I would need to consume between 10 and 15 petites per day. And because we absorb only 500 mg at a time and the pills are 200 mg each...we would need to cut some of them in half or take 400 mg doses, at no less than 2-hour intervals, which would mean remembering to take them eight times times per day.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THESE...and there may be something wrong with my personality in terms of compliance...but I'm good for four pill events per day and often six. But I think I'd have to add in Valium if I had to "pill up" eight times a day.

There are 500 in a bottle. It's still a good price, but I think I'd lose it with that many visits to the pill bottle. YMMV.

I'm sure that YOU know this, but for newbies...

It is almost impossible to find a screen shot of HOW MUCH calcium is in one of those...but it says to compare to Citrical Petites...so I did.

They contain 200 mg of calcium per tablet. (A serving is defined as two tablets yielding 400 mg of calcium.)

Right now, I down 4-6 of the BA chewables per day...I probably need six, but sometimes I miss a dose or two. If I went to the petites, I would need to consume between 10 and 15 petites per day. And because we absorb only 500 mg at a time and the pills are 200 mg each...we would need to cut some of them in half or take 400 mg doses, at no less than 2-hour intervals, which would mean remembering to take them eight times times per day.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THESE...and there may be something wrong with my personality in terms of compliance...but I'm good for four pill events per day and often six. But I think I'd have to add in Valium if I had to "pill up" eight times a day.

There are 500 in a bottle. It's still a good price, but I think I'd lose it with that many visits to the pill bottle. YMMV.

I totally get what you are saying about too many pill events! I take two of these 4 times a day for 1600 mg. I now realize I will probably have to take them 5 times a day for the 2000 mg recommended by vitalady at some point. So far though, my labs are great on 4 times per day. I just bought a new calcium supply to start after I finish the petites, Simply Right calcium 600 mg with vitamin D3. One tablet is 600 mg which I now realize is 100 mg of waste according to our absorption rate. Still, might be nice to have only one pill at a time.

** Just for newbies: I take my D3 separately, I get the Biotech version. Just so you know that I am not relying on the small amount included with my calcium.

This vitamin and overall nutrition of the DS life is one of constant learning!!

Thanks everyone! I have purchased the BioTech Dry Vit D3 50,000. I have been taking that just once a week as I am already low on it. But do I really take that much every day post-op? I have a calcium citrate 500mg that I have been taking now twice a day and realize I need to get in two more servings post op........that's why I'm looking for the packets of power\crystals....take the horse pill (good tip to soak it or crush) and do that morning and night. Thought the packets would be easier in the purse to get the last two in - spread throughout the day.

So until my first labs I plan to do this vitamin wise until I know how to adjust otherwise.

Kirklands Mulit Vitamin - (2) am\pm
Calcium Citrate 2000mg - 500mg (4xday)
Dry Vit D3 50,000u - 1 in the am

Protein - aiming high for 100g daily from start (shakes)
64 - 96 oz of water daily - I realize this may be hard the first couple weeks but trying to remember sip sip sip....

Surgery Tuesday! It's finally here.....I am feeling at most times calmer than I thought I ever would. Nights I get a little ancy but...not anything near like I was. Pretty much the only thing I am nervous or worry about (cuz I HAVE to worry about something) is that my period is due to hit right then.....LOVELY! Hormonal and hungry......pray for my hubby! :mad:

Any last minute things to have on hand going to hospital or to come home to that you can think of? Food wise those first 2-3 weeks .....hubby going to do the shopping.....I have a soft foods list for the first month or two but wondered if there were any tricks of the trade for those first couple weeks...

Everyone is different but I take THREE of those Vit D3s every day...and I BARELY stay within range. Btw, that would be (I have been told) a toxic dose in the absence of malabsorption, so don't take them until you need them.

And that protein goal. Focus on hydration, not protein, at first.

is this what you are looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Health-Upcal-D-packets/dp/B000SONA14

Vitalady used to sell these too, but I can't find on her website right now. There was some discussion a few years back about how much calcium citrate is really in them, but if these help you get your calcium in, then go for it.

Early on, I would pour one of these and one crystal light into a water bottle getting my hydration and calcium together. Note that the powdery substance does settle out, so you do have to shake the bottle before each drink

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks everyone! I have purchased the BioTech Dry Vit D3 50,000. I have been taking that just once a week as I am already low on it. But do I really take that much every day post-op? I have a calcium citrate 500mg that I have been taking now twice a day and realize I need to get in two more servings post op........that's why I'm looking for the packets of power\crystals....take the horse pill (good tip to soak it or crush) and do that morning and night. Thought the packets would be easier in the purse to get the last two in - spread throughout the day.

So until my first labs I plan to do this vitamin wise until I know how to adjust otherwise.

Kirklands Mulit Vitamin - (2) am\pm
Calcium Citrate 2000mg - 500mg (4xday)
Dry Vit D3 50,000u - 1 in the am

Protein - aiming high for 100g daily from start (shakes)
64 - 96 oz of water daily - I realize this may be hard the first couple weeks but trying to remember sip sip sip....

Surgery Tuesday! It's finally here.....I am feeling at most times calmer than I thought I ever would. Nights I get a little ancy but...not anything near like I was. Pretty much the only thing I am nervous or worry about (cuz I HAVE to worry about something) is that my period is due to hit right then.....LOVELY! Hormonal and hungry......pray for my hubby! :mad:

Any last minute things to have on hand going to hospital or to come home to that you can think of? Food wise those first 2-3 weeks .....hubby going to do the shopping.....I have a soft foods list for the first month or two but wondered if there were any tricks of the trade for those first couple weeks...

Congrats on your surgery tuesday! dont worry too much about supplementation the few days after surgery and add as you can I would start with Vit D3 and calcium citrate in that order (I had no problem swallowing pills right after surgery but do what you can) those 2 are the ones most dsers have issues with. I know at first it is a little overwhelming, but just work on recovery and add as much vit/min as you can. Dont worry about your period I had my surgery two different times when I had to go into surgery, yep horray for me the morning of surgery!!!!

Like Spiky, I use the Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate lozenges. Yes, a chalky texture, but flavor is good, they contain 500 mg calcium citrate each, and you can just suck on them if you don't want to chew them. And they are easily portable in purse or pocket, just wrap in a little plastic wrap and you're good to go.
The chewies are also pretty good, and they haven't caused me any gastro symptoms, but I only take 1 or 2 of them a day at most.
If all else fails, buy yourself a pill cutter. I have one that I got at Walmart for about $5.00. Works great! I can't swallow those big pills and it's not DS related, so it isn't going to get better. But there is always a way to get those pills down, you just have to see what alternatives work for you.

Latest posts

Back