Liver Update

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
So today I saw the GI regarding my stage 3 liver disease diagnosis. It was a very good visit and he is happy with my liver function and enzyme levels, as well as additional labs he ran. He confirmed that I should not drink at all anymore which is really hard because on occasion I really do enjoy a nice Pinto Noir , Zinfandel or Cab Suav with a meal. I won't lie and every now and then I also like getting pissed....but my liver is more important.

The good news is that my Dr said that I can still take any pain meds but I need to try to limit the tylenol component to no more than 1,000 mg daily.

I misread a lab result that showed up on my portal on Sunday and mistakenly thought it said I have Hepatitis B because is said "patient is not immune to hep B" and when I looked that up it said that meant I was positive. He told me that it does just mean that I don't have immunity because I haven't been vaccinated for Hep B, so today I was given the first of the 3 part series. Today, 30 days and then 6 months.

I also saw my Bone Marrow biopsy result on my portal as well but I don't see my HEMONC until the 14th. From what I can read it looks good, but it is very detailed and way over my head. That being said it looks like nothing drastic showed up, but I hope it gives the Dr information as to my exact anemia type and course of treatment, if any.

So by and large a good day for me. I still feel like shit but I can still take meds for pain control without causing cirrhosis and I am getting Hep B protection. Additionally nothing like cancer showed up in my Marrow Biopsy so that is good news.

All that is good news.

I promise as the years roll by missing alcohol will be less of an issue. Although you will probably always remember the last time you had one. Due to a severe reaction (face turns bright red, gets hot and feels swollen), I haven't had a sip of any alcohol since Dec 1999.

I never was much of a drinker to begin with. Would it be nice to be able to have a drink, yes BUT the reaction is not worth it.

I've been a little behind in keeping up here in the past month and was sorry to learn of your health issues. However this does sound like good news. Giving up alcohol is merely a life style change -- emphasis on "life" which you get to keep!

If you struggle with it, maybe visit an alcohol support group. Dealing with friends who are big drinkers can be tough.Have a plan for what you can do with friends that doesn't involve drinking. Since 2002 I went to a friend's house for a drink almost every Friday at 5. After DS (which I did not tell her about), I stopped drinking completely for about 6 months as I was concerned my liver was stressed enough with the rapid weight loss. Being the only one drinking irritated her to no end. After a few weeks of my only drinking water (and not eating any hors d'oeuvres) she was "busy" the next week, and the week after that and the invitations just stopped. Our friendship suffered. (I was shocked that she could drop me so swiftly after 13 years just because I wasn't drinking.) Several months later, I started inviting her to do things in the morning, a naturally non-drinking time -- hikes, museum programs, breakfasts (when I was able to eat more than 2 bites).

Can you smoke weed? I never liked the smell or that kind of high but maybe that could be a liver-safe outlet for you.

All that is good news.

I promise as the years roll by missing alcohol will be less of an issue. Although you will probably always remember the last time you had one. Due to a severe reaction (face turns bright red, gets hot and feels swollen), I haven't had a sip of any alcohol since Dec 1999.

I never was much of a drinker to begin with. Would it be nice to be able to have a drink, yes BUT the reaction is not worth it.
Yeah I haven't drank much at all the last three years so I will be okay. Thanks

I've been a little behind in keeping up here in the past month and was sorry to learn of your health issues. However this does sound like good news. Giving up alcohol is merely a life style change -- emphasis on "life" which you get to keep!

If you struggle with it, maybe visit an alcohol support group. Dealing with friends who are big drinkers can be tough.Have a plan for what you can do with friends that doesn't involve drinking. Since 2002 I went to a friend's house for a drink almost every Friday at 5. After DS (which I did not tell her about), I stopped drinking completely for about 6 months as I was concerned my liver was stressed enough with the rapid weight loss. Being the only one drinking irritated her to no end. After a few weeks of my only drinking water (and not eating any hors d'oeuvres) she was "busy" the next week, and the week after that and the invitations just stopped. Our friendship suffered. (I was shocked that she could drop me so swiftly after 13 years just because I wasn't drinking.) Several months later, I started inviting her to do things in the morning, a naturally non-drinking time -- hikes, museum programs, breakfasts (when I was able to eat more than 2 bites).

Can you smoke weed? I never liked the smell or that kind of high but maybe that could be a liver-safe outlet for you.
I actually tried some a few months ago for the first time in almost 30 years and it about killed my lungs. I would like to get some edibles but even though medical is legal now in IL our governor has made it extremely difficult to get approved.

Thanks...and when Dr did my surgery in October he said my liver looked bad so did a biopsy. It came back with bridging fibrosis which is stage 3 liver disease. The next step is cirrhosis and on transplant list. the good news is that my function is good and both Dr K and my GI believe the damage was done by diabetes and obesity. The DS actually fixed those two issues so as long as I don't eff it up by drinking I should be fine.

The not being able to drink is mainly just missing g being able to have a glass or two if a good red wine with steak, lamb chops, etc. It really isn't any big deal because I hardly drink at all anymore so I will be fine.

This is great news, Scott. Sorry about having to give up the pleasure of a glass of wine now and again, but like you say, you will be able to accept it for the sake of your liver. I am so glad it isn't anything terrible!

Thanks Pam. How is your foot/lower leg doing? I hope it is getting better everyday.

I am so thankful that every week it is getting better. While it isn't yet 100%, I have regained more feeling in my foot and am getting around much better.

Interesting note... My original surgeon called me last week to check on me. After a lengthy conversation, I finally asked him why he thought my hip dislocated. He said that while my small frame and the desire to keep my legs as close to the same lengths as possible was one factor, the bigger factor was the years of obesity had caused stretching of soft tissue which did not tighten back after the weight loss. Laxity around the joint does not hold things as tightly as desired and my time at the gym would not have helped much here. I had never considered the 'internal' saggy skin to be any kind of issue!

Good news and that is interesting about the internal tissue.

Latest posts

Back