Just saw Dr S my PCP

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
I lifted up my shirt and he instantly said, yep you definitely have a hernia. He referred me to another group in town which is actually the group who followed me when I was in the hospital with suspected bowel perforation in August.

Hopefully they can fix it and my associated problems. I am hoping this is causing my poor absorption since it is partially blocking me up.

I lifted up my shirt and he instantly said, yep you definitely have a hernia. He referred me to another group in town which is actually the group who followed me when I was in the hospital with suspected bowel perforation in August.

Hopefully they can fix it and my associated problems. I am hoping this is causing my poor absorption since it is partially blocking me up.
I hope they can fix you up.

Holy moly. Now a hernia? Hope this is the last carving you get, you turkey :cool:
I have suspected a hernia again for several months now, so I am actually happy with this news so I can get it fixed and hopefully feel better.

And, if you can get a twofer out of it - abdominoplasty, to avoid mesh? - ASK!
Is abdominoplasty a tummy tuck? Don't they slice you from hip to hip for that one?

I am hoping for a quick laproscpoic procedure and fast healing so I don't know if I have the energy for anything more. That being said if it would clean up that excess skin around my midline and get rid of the damn fupa I hate I will definitely look into it. Additionally if there is also medical benefit from this repair over a traditional repair then I am for that as well... Reading it sounds like would strengthen abdominal wall muscle so risk/reward needs to be looked at, of course if it is covered by insurance.

Can a general surgeon do the abdominoplasty or does this require a plastic surgeon as well?

Last edited:
I hope you can get it fixed soon, so you will start feeling better.
Thanks Larra. I really am hoping this puts me over the top and to finally feeling like I am not half dead.

So glad to hear you are getting some answers. Hope they can fix you soon.

How will this impact your play date with the boys?
Thanks. Should have zero impact unless I suddenly obstruct between now and then.

That being said, just starting about five hours ago my upper left leg feels like somebody beat me with a baseball bat. The pain is very sharp. Outer part of leg where I believe it comes into the hip..... I am trying to figure out if this is still the femur or hip. I have never had pain here before in my life but it is very painful especially if I rub it or lay on it. I am a damn mess and am just hoping it is one of those off pains that shows up and goes away.

Good god you can't make this shit up and I am starting to feel like a damn hypochondriac. Lol at my decrepit old ass. I am the oldest freaking 49.75.year old dude I have ever seen. Might me time to take me out to the pasture and shoot me.

Last edited:
You will likely need TWO surgeons, in cooperation - the general surgeon to fix the hernia, and a plastic surgeon to do the abdominoplasty. But you MUST make sure there is a good reason documented for having the abdominoplasty - laxity of the abdominal wall which could lead to another hernia, or desire to avoid mesh.

This was from the day of my husband's surgery:

My husband is in surgery, getting insurance-paid hernia repair AND an abdominoplasty. The coding for abdominoplasty is a cosmetic code that covers THREE procedures: diastasis recti repair, fatty tissue removal and skin fold (panniculus) removal. He only needed the diastasis repair, because closing the diastasis would make the umbilical hernia repair not require mesh, but there is no CPT code for JUST a medically necessary diastasis repair. Don't ask me why - the reconstructive plastic surgeon didn't know either. I had to coordinate the insurance submissions from the general and plastic surgeon, to make sure they went in together, including giving the general surgeon a "script" of words to use in her progress notes for the insurance submission that indicated that the PS's work was reconstructive when done in conjunction with her umbilical repair. I had to call the insurance company repeatedly to make sure the precert people UNDERSTOOD that there was no way to code the diastasis repair alone, and that in this case, the abdominoplasty was NOT cosmetic. They dawdled, but they approved it Friday night. He's in surgery right now.

AND - PS said, when he marked him up this morning, that since the abdominoplasty was approved, and it includes the skin excision, he's going to get a little FUPA lift along the incision line that had to be made anyway. :laugh:
And this was the post from robs' one year surgiversary post (damned ninja onion cutters ...) - has more details:

Despite being severely underweight until his 30s (6'2", 125-135 lbs, he has told me), due in no small part to his HUGE full sugar Coke (and cheeseburger) habit (3-5 Big Gulps-worth a day), by the time I met him when he was 46, he was up over 230 lbs; a few years later (probably not surprisingly, during the same time period I put on 50+ lbs immediately after we met, and became MO), he was up to at least 255. Right around the time I had my DS in 2003, Coke Zero came out, and I got him to try it. To his surprise, he found it tolerable (he couldn't STAND Diet Coke). (Somewhat annoyingly) in about the same time it took me to lose my first 35 lbs with my DS, he MOSTLY substituted Coke Zero for regular Coke and lost 30 lbs.
Everywhere else on his body, besides a remaining basketball-sized mound of intraabdominal fat, he was lean as could be - except, he had a rather significant FUPA, which really really bothered him. But he also had an umbilical hernia which was getting bigger and bigger, and was hurting - a headbutt from the cat and he would double over. And he also had two inguinal hernias. So eventually I got him back to the general surgeon who had repaired his inguinal hernia before (it re-tore, and the mesh in the first repair has always bothered him), and asked her whether it made sense to seek an abdominoplasty to tighten his abdominal muscles INSTEAD of using mesh to repair the umbilical hernia - he has and apparently even as a kid always had very lax abdominal muscles (like post-partum women and morbidly obese people get), due to separation/wideness of the linea alba (i.e., he has congenital diastasis recti) - his big belly was not just fat, but also the laxity of the musculature. She thought it might be possible, though she was dubious about getting it covered by insurance.
Did you say INSURANCE!?! Let me at 'em!
So we got Charles to a plastic surgeon, and he agreed to scrub in to the umbilical hernia and inguinal hernia repairs. And I wrote out what I wanted the two surgeons to write (as guidelines - I'm sure they tailored what they submitted to what THEY thought was appropriate), and we submitted. Keep in mind, this was with VA BCBS, and not under the more consumer friendly CA rules. While preparing for the procedure, Charles deliberately lost another 30 lbs or so - he was at around 185 by the time he had surgery - to ease the pressure on his belly (and of course for his health). And he quit smoking.
And although they took their sweet time, and I had to make a call to the person reviewing the request for precertification myself 2 days before the procedure, it was approved!
So here is the interesting part. Abdominoplasty is a single CPT code that covers THREE procedures - (1) repair of the diastasis recti (which is really all we were seeking), (2) lipectomy (removal of excess fat); and (3) excision of excess skin. So the procedure went something like this:​
    • General surgeon laparoscopically fixed the torn old hernia (from the backside of the lower abdominal wall)
    • Plastic surgeon opened up a lower abdominal incision from hip to hip, just above the pubes, and undermined the skin above and below
    • General surgeon fixed the new inguinal hernia on the other side from under the skin
    • General surgeon removed his umbilicus and closed the hole in the abdominal wall
    • Plastic surgeon did the diastasis repair (gave him an internal corset)
    • Plastic surgeon cut away some of the excess skin and fat on both sides of the incision, giving him a FUPA lift in the process (!!)
    • Plastic surgeon closed.
So he got his hernias fixed and got a little "enhancement" as a bonus as well.​

Latest posts

Back