Jumping jacks

Georgepds

Jumping jacks

Oh they are so simple, and maybe we all used to do the as kids, but honestly, at least for me it's been awhile, a looong while

So now I'm studying about how to avoid bone problems that are a hazard to post DS, and there are a raft of supplements to take. The combs and msdk study show the benefits. I can do that, if anything time has shown I'm an expert at popping things into my mouth and swallowing them

But, I've come across simple jumping and easier jumping jacks as a method. In fact the combs study recommended them * .. Anyone do them as a method to halt bone loss?

If so how many do you do. I'm starting with ten, and hope to work to100

* "Patients were also instructed to commence and maintain a regimen of daily impact exercises such as jumping jacks or skipping where possible as impact has been associated with prevention of bone density loss [42, 43]."

Georgepds

Ah, yeah... parts of me move now that didn't move that way when I was a kid....still, I'm trying to get a handle on the relative importance of impact exercise and supplements on BMD

I do know whereof you speak

Settledownnow

I always hated jumping jacks. Similar to that is jump roping. Walking, bike riding, and most types of weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercise helps to maintain and build bone.

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I would avoid high impact exercise - our joints have already taken a pounding from years of obesity. Pilates, water aerobics, yoga, walking - cardio without high impact is what is likely more sensible.

Georgepds

I would avoid high impact exercise - our joints have already taken a pounding from years of obesity. Pilates, water aerobics, yoga, walking - cardio without high impact is what is likely more sensible.
In general I agree with you... but in this instance my understanding is the impact itself is what strengthens the bones.

The dilemma is how to do it without injury. There seem to be other ways to strengthen without injury (weight lifting and other resistive exercise), so perhaps the proper solution is to avoid those paths more likely to injure, as you suggest

But, the basic idea here is swallowing another pill is really not the entire solution to all problems, and, for this one, a little exercise might help.

JackieOnLine

Staff member
back in Nevada I was doing jumping jacks regularly for cardio - I did them on a mini trampoline for less impact, as my knees can't take high impact.. can't remember what I started with (a LOT less) but was doing sets of 50, maybe 4 of them, and inbetween did jogging for 20 minutes of movement total. the plan was to work up to 45, I think.

I enjoyed them and would like to start again. need another mini tramp.

Georgepds I have also heard it is the impact that strengthens bone but I think walking does this, too, through weight bearing.

I'd be interested to hear what else you hear about this exercise.

JackieOnLine

Staff member
another way to get a good workout with no impact is via my heroine, Miranda Esmonde-White. I've posted about her before, but here again is a link to some videos. they will kick your ass!!