Introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Melany. I don't have any WLS but I am actively researching my options before going through with the long insurance approval process. (state healthcare, MO).

I would love to talk to anyone who knows St Louis doctors. I am wanting a DS but have looked up vetted lists and it doesn't seem there are DS surgeons here. It really makes me upset since I don't want to be forced into a RNY just to have it fail. I am not opposed to the VGS as a one stop to the full DS. Money is obvisouly a problem for me (being on state healthcare and all). If I only had 15k I would run to Mexico and see Aceves. Sometimes it feels like this is a useless effort. Even finding a doctor that will take medicaid is fairly impossible. There is one hospital I have found out of the 20+ I called (that my insurance company said to call).

Don't know if that made sense. Sorry.

I'm just, getting to the end of my tether.

I am going to edit the post to add a bit more info:
I have tried to get on the Health At Every Size and Fat Acceptance band wagon. So far, my only comorbidity is sleep apnea. I am 390 lbs at 5'3 though, so DS would be the best option for me because of that even without the co morbidity i think?

Anyways, HAES and FA are great for some people but I jsut have extreme problems socially because of my weight. I would love to say "F YOU!" to everyone who has prejudices against me because of my weight but I don't have the confidence.

I struggle with depression and agoraphobia due to my fear of leaving the house and shame because of my weight and inability to lose it on my own. This surgery will literally save my life.

Thank you for listening.

Welcome, Melany!! post all you want to. ....waving hello:

b59c4c2f8742d1e791f10bd67b3a4572-bear-waving-15.jpg

Welcome Melany! Many of us who were/are considered SMO or "heavyweights" feel your pain about depression and agoraphobia. I'm sure some lightweights will identify too. I suffered with both for a long time before I decided to have surgery and while no surgery is going to "cure" depression, my agoraphobia is mostly gone, and I'm not even at my goal weight yet! It's horrible being afraid to leave the house because you can't stand always being the biggest person in any room and feeling like everyone is staring and judging. Sometimes it's only in our heads, but too often it's not. I wish you luck on your journey. I don't have any knowledge about insurance but there are some here who are very knowledgable and have helped lots of people. Don't give up!

Hi everyone,
I'm Bianca, I'm on a couple other WLS websites as 3Lilmunchkins. I'm just starting to research various WLS and am preparing for my first appointment with the medical team where I'll be receiving surgery. I'm pretty sure that I'll be pursuing a DS, but as I said I'm pretty early on my journey so I'm keeping an open mind about everything. We're a military family so I'll be having my surgery at Madigan Army Medical Center in WA, so if anyone has any experience there I would definitely appreciate hearing about it!!!

Thanks!
B

Welcome, @Bianca Just research, research and research. And while most of us are partial to the DS...if you decide on a different one, as long as you have researched all of them, you make the decision that suits you best.

Hi everyone,
I'm Bianca, I'm on a couple other WLS websites as 3Lilmunchkins. I'm just starting to research various WLS and am preparing for my first appointment with the medical team where I'll be receiving surgery. I'm pretty sure that I'll be pursuing a DS, but as I said I'm pretty early on my journey so I'm keeping an open mind about everything. We're a military family so I'll be having my surgery at Madigan Army Medical Center in WA, so if anyone has any experience there I would definitely appreciate hearing about it!!!

Thanks!
B
Welcome, Bianca. Devaney WAS the only DS surgeon at Madigan, but his "research" shows that the RnY and the DS have equal results. Since that ONLY happened with his study, you kind of have to ask what was different about HIS patients that their results were so poor...and the common thread seems obvious.

Good luck finding the surgeons you need!

Hi everyone! I am Tammy from Raleigh, NC.
I am awaiting DS with Dr. Sudan at Duke. By the end of the month we will have my "package" ready to send to the insurance company and await a response, I am extremely nervous! I am @ 310 today, it fluctuates drastically from day to day. I have spent the last 20+ years of my life being put on diets and lifestyle changes by doctors for my health/weight. I've also been misdiagnosed by most of them. Recently, I found an endocrinologist who actually took the time to dispel those diagnoses and find the culprit, a rare genetic disease that actually causes my severe insulin resistance AND the symptoms I have been experiencing! It is called Familial Partial Lipodystrophy. Given the severity of my symptoms and bleak outlook for the future, she recommended DS. I've spent the last 2 years getting all the ducks in a row, I'm sure you've all been there. The hope is that with DS, and the subsequent weight loss, that I will be able to get off of some of the 19 medications and U500 insulin, but I will never be insulin free. I also have another reason for desperately needing this surgery, my 11 year old daughter who is Autistic and has a Traumatic Brain Injury. She needs me. Thank you all for your help during this new journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back