Intolerances

MyNewLife

Roast Beef for dinner (shhhhh)
Hi All,

I've once again begun my quest to find out what about milk causes my body to revolt. Someone on one of the forums sent me to this page: http://www.stevecarper.com/li/AHC0699.htm

From there, I've been brave enough to try goat cheese. I seem to tolerate it, I want to experiment a bit more but my local grocery has goat cheese that contains cows milk and I can't go elsewhere as I've been sidelined by the snow. I have no problem with real butter, ever have. I can use coffee mate (it has casein - a milk protein in it). This is all I know for sure at this point.

One. Do you think a forum for intolerances would be a good thing. A place where we can get guidance on our search for what tears our stomachs to shreds?

Two: Anyone know what I would try next? Is there enough information now to find out if my intolerance is whey or lactose? I thought I had tried whey protein isolate but now I'm wondering if I only tried the blend. I really want to find a harder cheese that I can tolerate. Feta is made with goat cheese but it's not hard either. I want to find my boundaries before I discover them in a two hour meeting with a bathroom close to the meeting LOL

Thanks for any help.

What about sheep's milk cheeses? Manchego, Pecorino Romano, lots of Greek ones like haloumi, kaseri... Ask google. And once you're not snowed in, find a cheese shop or a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, even Costco, someplace that has a nice cheese section and you'll be able to find some different ones.

I haven't tried sheep cheese yet. I want a grilled cheese. I want to put something like cheddar on my veggies. I want cheese in my eggs that melts. You know of anything like that?

Hi All,

I've once again begun my quest to find out what about milk causes my body to revolt. Someone on one of the forums sent me to this page: http://www.stevecarper.com/li/AHC0699.htm

From there, I've been brave enough to try goat cheese. I seem to tolerate it, I want to experiment a bit more but my local grocery has goat cheese that contains cows milk and I can't go elsewhere as I've been sidelined by the snow. I have no problem with real butter, ever have. I can use coffee mate (it has casein - a milk protein in it). This is all I know for sure at this point.

One. Do you think a forum for intolerances would be a good thing. A place where we can get guidance on our search for what tears our stomachs to shreds?

Two: Anyone know what I would try next? Is there enough information now to find out if my intolerance is whey or lactose? I thought I had tried whey protein isolate but now I'm wondering if I only tried the blend. I really want to find a harder cheese that I can tolerate. Feta is made with goat cheese but it's not hard either. I want to find my boundaries before I discover them in a two hour meeting with a bathroom close to the meeting LOL

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear all that! They would just have to plant me if I couldn’t eat cheese! I do know the harder white cheeses like parmasan romano might work. If you can, DON’T buy it pre-grated. In a block form, this is a very pungent strong FLAVORFUL cheese and you won’t need as much of it to get the cheese flavor you need. Cheese off gasses or “effervesces”, pre-grated loses almost all of its flavor. Maybe worth a try? Good luck with it.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure those are made with cow's milk. If I hadn't had a cover on my mattress I would have had to throw it out from the "offgassing" of my behind LOL
When I drank milk, I actually had my work call a plumber thinking there was a sewage leak. It's that bad :)

Yeah but I'm pretty sure those are made with cow's milk. If I hadn't had a cover on my mattress I would have had to throw it out from the "offgassing" of my behind LOL
When I drank milk, I actually had my work call a plumber thinking there was a sewage leak. It's that bad :)

I really miss cheese, melty, gooey, creamy, luscious cheeeeeessse

Milk, especially skim milk, shows no mercy on my digestive system. Skim milk powder is a hidden ingredient in a lot of prepared foods. I am diligent about label-reading so as to avoid the evils perpetrated upon me by powdered skim milk.

However, I can eat high fat yogurt, aged hard cheeses (parmesan, cheddar, swiss), and high fat premium ice cream. I also drink heavy whipping cream or half and half in my coffee as creamer without ill effect. Not sure if any of these would work for you.

Cow's milk sold is almost ALWAYS pasteurized. To do that, they heat milk and that warps and distorts the enzymes and other proteins in milk so that the body thinks they are foreign, and has to mount an immune response. Many adults are at least mildly lactose intolerant. I wasn't UNTIL my DS. And I went from no intolerance to severe OVERNIGHT! Even now I take a lactaid pill daily.

However, raw milk is an option. I am lactose intolerant to pasteurized cow milk, makes me so gassy and bloated I had totally given up on any milk cause nothing else tasted right, not even lactaid milk. Then I saw a local farm store that carried raw milk and was intrigued enough to read what I could find. Yes, I read the FDA and CDC reports but I am making an informed decision for me...no one else needs to drink raw milk in this household and I cook with my HWC anyway. However, I am able to drink an 8 oz glass of raw milk every morning...NO GAS and NO bloat. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/raw-milk.2441/

I've tried the lactose pills and the lactaid milk. Gas City. Hard cheeses, even cheddar that I love... Gas city. HWC.. Gas city. Yogurt... Gas City.

I have not tried the raw milk, I'm a little scared of getting worms. Just sounds really gross to me to have worms in my 'innards. I could live my whole life without drinking a glass of cows milk again, I don't miss yogurt either. I really miss cottage cheese and ricotta. Hard cheeses, melty cheeses, I really miss.

I know there is something in cows milk that kills me. I just don't know what. Whether it's the lactose or the whey protein.

I've tried to research the specific components in butter because butter does NOT bother me. It has very little lactose. I can't find what proteins it has in it but it doesn't bother me unless I get too much but if I get too much of any fat, it causes issues. Just not noxious methane issues.

I'm feeling good enough to try to be a detective to find the boundaries of what I can and can't have. I just don't know where or how to look. I also know I need to retry some of the things I haven't had in a year or so to see if that limitation still exists.

Thanks for any help :)

I wouldn't rule out it being a casein intolerance just based on being able to use coffee mate. You probably use very little and it probably contains very little, I've also read that they can legally consider it to be non-dairy because the casein is totally changed by the way they process it. That would be where I would start based on all the things you've said.

Hi All,

Thanks for any help.
Lactaid and lactose free milk.

I wouldn't rule out it being a casein intolerance just based on being able to use coffee mate. You probably use very little and it probably contains very little, I've also read that they can legally consider it to be non-dairy because the casein is totally changed by the way they process it. That would be where I would start based on all the things you've said.

@brooklyngirl What dairy items have whey and lactose but don't have casein? Seems that would be the easiest way to discriminate. If I eat something with everything but casein, that could be an answer.

I'm trying to figure out what components milk has and what I can eat/drink to simulate not have each one individually (that is if it's even possible to do. My ultimate goal is melty solid cheese ;) Something close to cheddar cheese is what I crave.

Thanks!!!

@brooklyngirl What dairy items have whey and lactose but don't have casein? Seems that would be the easiest way to discriminate. If I eat something with everything but casein, that could be an answer.

I'm trying to figure out what components milk has and what I can eat/drink to simulate not have each one individually (that is if it's even possible to do. My ultimate goal is melty solid cheese ;) Something close to cheddar cheese is what I crave.

Thanks!!!
I dunno, everything I've posted on this subject, so far, has come from google. Google knows everything :p

Latest posts

Back