In need to wisdom (tummy troubles)

SJB41976

So, I'm 3 weeks 2 days out. I have been trying real food here and there and it has gone amazingly well...until yesterday. Since yesterday I have had an upset stomach with nausea. Today, I felt nauseated, my tummy still didn't feel right. I took a step back and went back to liquids until lunch when the only choice eating out I had was chicken salad. It was Chick fil A and I also had it Monday with no issue. I have also been dizzy or lightheaded is more like it. When I got home I rested and drank a glass of powerade zero in case my electrolytes were off. I am drinking plenty of water, my urine is light yellow.

Once I got home and rested and drank I started passing gas...and honestly I feel SO MUCH BETTER. My stomach is still not right but I wasn't passing a lot of gas yesterday or earlier today. My poop happens in the morning and I have had no issue there.

1) Saturday night I ate a real meal at restaurant chicken with ham and a little cheese grits and some kind of veggie relish. I had no adverse effects from it. None. I was shocked.
2) yesterday I ate a lara bar with caffeinated coffee and about an hour later my stomach started hurting. I had also had a lara bar before and it didn't bother me.
3) Chick fil A chicken salad is chopped tiny but it has celery and relish in it.

What is the usual time line for knowing you have eaten something that doesn't sit well?

I'm going to continue with soft foods tonight..tried and true no bothers. But, I guess this is normal???? What do you do with it??? How do I know if something is not right???

***edited to add***
should I be taking mirilax if I'm pooping every morning? I didn't know if things would move quicker??? I really don't know.

Thanks wisdom givers!

Last edited:
2) yesterday I ate a lara bar with caffeinated coffee and about an hour later my stomach started hurting. I had also had a lara bar before and it didn't bother me.
What in the hell is a lara bar??? And the other time you had it, was it also with coffee?

And then there is the thought that your system is just adjusting. What works this time may not work next time and then later be fine again.

haha. A lara bar is a whole food bar. It has only 5 ingredients, they vary depending on the flavor you choose. I had the peanut butter chocolate chip so peanuts, dates, etc. and chocolate chips. It's all ground up so it's very soft. It only have 5 grams of protein and way too many carbs, but it's not fake and curbs the desire for something sweet.

The first time I didn't have it with coffee.

Even though we are gastrointestinally altered we are still just as vulnerable to the common regular tummy bugs. Maybe it's just a viral thing. I would cut the coffee out though. I don't think our guts like it much in the early days. I'm almost 7 weeks post and I haven't dared attempt it yet.

@SJB41976 - you said
It only have 5 grams of protein and way too many carbs
- how many is way to many because that could be the culprit especially associated with the stimulant of the caffeine. I did not tolerate coffee for at least a couple months - but my stomach was fresh. it may have been your total carbs for the day or carbs too close together. You could try gas-x or phayzyme will help with the discomfort.

For me, excessive carbs intake will start gases and rumblings within a few hours - but the next morning is the tail - I will be on the pot longer than normal and it will go from 'normal' to thin and even liquidy.

I have been drinking decaf since the day after surgery. They gave it to me at the hospital, however, I've only had caffeinated coffee a few times in the morning and it sits well with me (my sleeve was 6 years ago).

I am not going to be eating any more Lara bars and I'm only going to drink my morning coffee.

My stomach is better now after passing all of that gas. I had baked ricotta for dinner with some greek yogurt. Hopefully tomorrow I will be completely well.

For me, excessive carbs intake will start gases and rumblings within a few hours - but the next morning is the tail - I will be on the pot longer than normal and it will go from 'normal' to thin and even liquidy.

hmm...I'd have to look but I'm sure it's over 25 less than 40. It's all from whole ingredients though, but still.

This morning my poop was just as normal as it has been since surgery. It's a mystery. but like I said above...no more Lara Bars for a while.

Could be the dates. Fruit early on was not my friend and isn't really now either.

Dates are an issue for me even now. In fact most fruits are, even fresh not dried. So while I LOVE fruit, it no longer loves me...tolerate is a better metaphor. I have a FEW exceptions, watermelon (most water anyway), strawberries, blueberries.

And if you want something sweet, ricotta fluff is an alternative. http://dswlsrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/01/fabulous-ricotta-fluff-stuff.html Altho I would use HWC instead of milk.

In summer, I buy a watermelon or two, cut it...feed the dogs some of it and freeze the rest. Then I use frozen watermelon and lemonade to make a slushy.

Fruit in general doesn't sit great with me either. That being said, I was never a huge fruit lover. I can still eat a banana and I do on occasion, but I typical put peanut butter on it. Strawberries I can do a few. Raisins or craisins I can do a few. Apples and Blueberries, not so much but I don't really like fresh blueberries anyway because you have to douse them with sugar or they are not sweet.

I can eat for the most part an veggie. I love green beans, corn (yes it goes through but doesn't make me feel bad), snow peas, asian veggies in general, a squash/zucchini/onion mixture sauteed or roasted with EVO and S&P, asparagus, and some broccoli and some brussel sprouts.

I bet it was the dates, too.

If food doesn't sit well with me I usually know within an hour or two max, usually sooner. The discomfort and challenges from a food choice with which my body disagrees usually ends with my morning bathroom visit.

And, usually a food that doesn't agree with me contains some hidden dairy (skim milk powder) or is a fruit or veggie.

Latest posts

Back