Antibiotics, info needed!

Susan in Tennessee

I saw a new NP early December for womens wellness appointment, mainly to get orders I needed for my mammogram. I also talked her into ordering the blood work I wanted also. Got a call a week or so later from her assistant saying my urine showed UTI (e-coli I think she said). Called in Cipro 500. I took it, seemed to go well, at end of course I upped probiotics and yogurt. All was great, I didn’t have to pee all the time , which I thought was just from being older! (I had never had pain, etc like I can remember from UTI a long time ago.
Now, late February hubby and I both caught an upper respiratory crud and especially me just couldn’t shake it, and my throat and ears were being affected. We had a little trip scheduled so we went to doctor on March 1. I went back to same NP I saw in Dec. She said my ears were looking pretty bad (my words, not hers lol) so she gave me a steroid shot and prescribed Cephalexin 500 for I think 10 days, maybe 14, sorry I forget and I already disposed of bottle. I took all pills though. I feel better now, ears improved quickly, but I’m left with horrible gas, rolling tummy, and light colored (usually but not every time) loose to runny stool. I added extra probiotics and yogurt but not helping this time. Do I just need to stick with probiotics, maybe trying different ones, or should I be worried? I get so confused…I know antibiotics can cause problems, but I also read of people asking for antibiotics to cure gas, etc. When I try to research I read about C-Diff and now I’m really getting worried!

Sysan

Don’t assume the worse yet, Susan but start with a different probiotic and maybe yogurt as well. Just make sure you take them opposite of the antibiotic.

If after a day or so, then get with your PCP to discuss your concerns.

Don’t assume the worse yet, Susan but start with a different probiotic and maybe yogurt as well. Just make sure you take them opposite of the antibiotic.

If after a day or so, then get with your PCP to discuss your concerns.
Thanks, Liz. Will do. I am finished with all antibiotics, have been for a couple weeks.

Cephalexin often causes these symptoms, and not just in DS'ers BUT, any antibiotic can cause C diff as well, so if you don't improve very soon, get tested for C diff. You did everything right but it could still happen.

What Larra said.

And, poop in the little container. Whether it is c diff or is not c diff, the sooner you know the better.

Sincerely,
The Dept of Been There Done That

Latest posts

Back