I feel like a knob but….

chevtow

I'm sick of drinking water. I tried Crystal Light but it seemed to bother my stomach. I don't like coffee or tomato juice. I can't believe I've never seen anyone talking about it, or I just forgot but what are some DS friendly drinks?
I realize fruit juices are full of sugar/carbs and I've heard diet soda is bad. Please give me some help LOL

Still a pre-op, but am trying to drink more water and I really hate to unless I’m thirsty. I tried every water flavor I could find and they ALL put too much sweetener in it for me, so, what I do is I put about 3-4 oz of V8 V-Fusion Light Pomegranate Blueberry or any real fruit juice you like to 24 oz of water. It flavors the water just enough to make it good and doesn’t have the overpowering GD sweetener flavor and is only about 20 calories, 4-5 carbs. In the evening, I’ve been drinking fruit flavored teas, no-caffeine and then put ½ tsp of cinnamon in it, and I really like it, raspberry especially. It took me several months and a lot of trial and error to come up with this combination and its working for me, so something along those lines or some variation may work for you also. Best luck to you!

Always being a water drinker, I never expected it to be such a big problem for me post op, but it was (and still is!). I do lots of the sugar free add-in things, but at half strength or so. My recent favorite is Hawaiian punch :) the little squrt bottles are great because you can add as much or as little as you want and they have a gazillion flavors now.
I also use True Lemon and True Orange since they're sweetened with stevia and I hate that I'm using so many artificial sweeteners.
Unsweetened herbal teas have been working pretty well lately, especially the fruity ones like raspberry zinger and apple cinnamon.
Fruit and herb infused water helps as well, I got a cheap pitcher from walmart and try to keep some in the fridge.
I didn't really drink anything with carbonation for 6 months, surgeon's orders, but I drink La Croix quite a but now, or seltzer with lemon or lime. Good flavor without sugar or chemicals!

Oh God. Plain water sucks big hairy monkey balls. I cannot choke down plain water to save my life. I have to put Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng in mine. It's all I drink.

Find some sugar-free additive. The stores are full of them. Crystal Light is too citric-acidy for my taste. But they make other flavors. Koolaid even makes a sugar free one now.

You might try an herbal tea, or a shot of lemon or lime juice in your water, or any of those flavoring drops, or try infusing your water by throwing in cut up fruit, spices, etc. Apples and cinnamon sticks, or cucumbers and lemon slices, or chunks of melon, or lime and cilantro, or oranges and mint leaves....There are loads of combinations.

I hated the taste of everything post-op! I had the worst caffeine withdrawal in the hospital, crushing headaches and vomiting!! I was in a Utah hospital. I am sure there was no caffeine on the premises. Even if there was, I doubt I would have been allowed coffee! In the hospital, they gave me water, broth and Jello.

Some things I tried after a week or so is sugar free apple cider and weak tea. It does get better! I also liked water with a hunk of lemon or orange. I drink a lot of iced tea now, I use artificial sweeteners. I do like plain water though too. I am back to being able to drink coffee, have been for a while, I have always loved coffee. I usually only have one cappuccino per day now though. Luckily for me, I an not lactose intolerant.

My favorite thing to put in water are those little sleeves of SF Crush. Orange, grape, pineapple, and the sf Hawaiian punch is good too. How about tea?

What did you drink before surgery?

We have a whole BASKET on the kitchen counter full of sugar free drink mixes: crush flavors, various lemonad s, fruit punch, ICEE flavors, etc. I found McDonalds diet sweet tea to be tasty, also G2 Gatorade once a day.

I seldom do just water either.
At home, I LIVE off decaf iced tea (remember, I am a Southerner) And the ONLY reason I do decaf is that the family bulk size of Luzianne Tea can not be found at ALL at Costco and only in decaf at Sam's. I do NOT like Lipton...doesn't make a good iced tea like Luzianne does.

When I am out and about and water bottles are my best option, I keep flavored add ins handy. Lemonade (NOT Chrystal Light...that gives ME the runs), and other flavors...I prefer those using Splenda if I can find them.

I, too, hated water post-op and struggled to find things I could or wanted to eat or drink. It doesn't last forever. AND you don't have to like it. Think of it as medicine rather than something that has to loved. Nothing tastes as bad as dehydration!
I think that just like dieting we are often opposed to the very things we are supposed to have. I struggled with proteins too because I knew I had to eat them. Mix it up and suck it up for now. This aversion will pass.

I was a diet dew drinker except really hot days I would drink water. Pre-op I drank diet v-8 splash and crystal light fruit punch, but it bugs my stomach now. In my head coffee tastes like feet ( what I imagine dirty feet would taste like), and I couldn't get used to it. Tea - meh. I'll try some sugar free kool aid that stuff with stevia sounds promising. Thanks for the ideas !

Latest posts

Back