I did a thing (Sx scheduled)

Doctorblue

So, I’ve just gotten my appointment scheduled. So, now I’m in the freak out, WTF am I actually doing, I need to cancel this immediately stage. My mind and body are playing tricks on me! I have weak bones, and I’m extremely worried because I see a lot of people here and elsewhere mention bone loss issues. I don’t want to have revisionsal WLS and then end up with a broken hip later on (especially since I have had a femur/hip surgery when I was a child).
I’ve also had a weird schedule this month, which has ended up with me losing 12 pounds this month, without really trying. So, one part of my brain is like, see, you can do this on your own, you don’t need surgery, you just need to be more mindful. Then the other part is like, duh. Losing weight has never been your problem when focused, it’s the maintenance where you fall apart. The maintenance is where the malabsorption is going to help you.

Revision from sleeve to DS. Probable resleeve as well do to an abnormality on imaging. Dr. K. on Feb. 9th.

It's normal to have doubts and go back and forth. It's a big decision. But I think you know where your life is going with your sleeve and where it could go with a DS. You will make the decision that is best for you.

I’m one of those that has bone issues. But if I hadn’t had it done almost 17 years ago, I’d be 500lbs. with many other problems.

I would have osteoporosis without WLS, mine’s genetic. Actually, we are probably more in touch with our health due to to the DS than the general public. Esp if you get a full DS lab panel. How many people would be able to rattle off their calcium, D, and PTH in a heartbeat if they didn’t have a DS.

The bone thing…. If you have a bone thing now it will get worse, DS or no DS. But it will be easier to deal with at a lower weight! You picked a great doc.

Totally natural to feel this way and it is sensible to think about the future. My view is that with proper testing, supplementation and, as needed, treatment, your bones should fare as well or better than they would otherwise. The only regret I have with DS is not getting it sooner - it's really improved my quality of life and outlook for a longer, healthier future ahead. You're in the best of hands with Dr. K.

DS patient with osteoporosis checking In.

And, daughter of woman w/osteoporosis and NO bariatric surgery simultaneously checking in.

Go figure.

Any of your ancestors have bone issues? Then the DS is a gift, because your every-six-or-twelve-month labs, which you might not have otherwise, will keep you abreast of the problem, such that you can correct it.

Latest posts

Back