Help, please! I need to buy a refrigerator

Spiky Bugger

Too many choices. Ideally, I thought I’d purchase a WHITE, French Door, Counter Depth fridge, with water and ice dispenser.

And I did, in March. But after waiting over two months and checking several times, I got a call from Best Buy two days before the June 8th delivery, saying they need until late August. I don’t trust them, so I’m looking elsewhere. (And no other outlets have that fridge right now. Well, close, but not exactly.)

I’ve read reviews. Seems MOST refrigerator purchasers complain about the ice maker and noise. Anyway, I want white, high gloss white, because that’s what my cabinets are; French door because I want to reach fruits/veggies w/out bending way over; Counter Depth because the kitchen is narrow-ish. and I use ice/water dispenser all day.

And money. Well. I guess I can buy any damned fridge I want. But I’m too much of a penny pincher. Also, it wouldn’t cost much to install water dispenser at the sink. Not a horrible idea, since ALL of our service calls for the past 15-20 years have been about the “bells and whistles,” and none about keeping food cold.

The upscale units cost thousands and do all sorts of things I don’t think I want enough to pay for. The going rate for the least expensive seems to be +/- $3000-3500, including delivery, installation, hauling away old fridge, tax and a warranty policy. But I just found one that is LESS THAN $1600, partially because it’s through “the exchange,” so no state sales tax on a military base. It’s a lesser known brand, but we have a small, stand-alone freezer by that company and it has been fIne.

Concessions:
Stainless instead of white.
No water dispenser.
Ice maker, but not a dispenser.
Might have to get rid of old fridge ourselves, but no installation issues.

Will I hate it? To me, a refrigerator is a place to keep food until it goes bad because I didn’t feel like cooking. And to get ice water. Do I pay an extra $1200-1800 for a unit with ice/water dispenser? Seems too much to me…especially because those are the least reliable parts of any fridge…but I’ve been retired for 20+ years and don’t understand today’s prices.

Whaddaya think?

Last edited:
We bought one a few months ago. We managed to stay under 2k even with an extra 3 year warranty. It came with 2 years. I’ve already used the warranty twice. We have an ice maker but didn’t even bother to hook it up, personal preference. It’s not a bad one, company making it is Hisense, factory is in GA but most of their customer service, English is not their primary language and explaining any issue is an exercise in frustration. I’m learning to just ask for a supervisor to start. I figured if Lowes was willing to warranty it for 3 extra years, it just might be okay even if I had never heard of the brand.

The first warranty issue was a piece was made incorrectly. They sent me a replacement piece.
Second warranty issue: the bottom hinges on the doors were slightly deformed causing air leakage and frost. They replaced the hinges.

I’m not happy but I’m not unhappy with it, it’s a fridge.

Last edited:
We bought one a few months ago. We managed to stay under 2k even with an extra 3 year warranty. It came with 2 years. I’ve already used the warranty twice. We have an ice maker but didn’t even bother to hook it up, personal preference. It’s not a bad one, company making it is Hisense, factory is in GA but most of their customer service, English is not their primary language and explaining any issue is an exercise in frustration. I’m learning to just ask for a supervisor to start. I figured if Lowes was willing to warranty it for 3 extra years, it just might be okay even if I had never heard of the brand.

I’m not happy but I’m not unhappy with it, it’s a fridge.
I saw that brand, too.

But the PX still “scores better” because sale tax here is 10% (so a few hundred dollars) and at the exchange, we are exempt.

We have a narrow spot and just bought an LG for Lowes because the selection was very limited at all area stores in the 33" width category for French doors. It's okay, but I wish I had paid attention to the water reservoir. It only holds 32 oz. and smells like burning rubber if we all try to use it, for say dinner. Probably will reconfigure the cabinets next time and go for the current typical width to have more choice... Good luck!

Latest posts

Back