I can't remember if I posted about Cameron or Not

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
About the same time we went to California Cameron was not feeling well and for several reasons we thought his cancer had come back. He has a nodule in his lung that had doubled in size over the last six months and he was feeling bad and having night sweats (common Hodgkin symptom) ...he also had some mesenteric lymph nodes show up on the same scan that showed his lung nodule had grown.

In any case he had a PET Scan about 3 weeks ago and we finally got results back today. He is cancer free!

that's great! So how do they explain the enlargement of the lung nodule and the night sweats and lymph nodes??

Since I'm new I don't know everyone yet, but I'm *always* ready to celebrate a cancer free notice! Great news!

Whew! I've been waiting on surrogate-parent tenterhooks for the results as well. Give him a hug from me (even though he has NO f'ing idea who I am ...).

that's great! So how do they explain the enlargement of the lung nodule and the night sweats and lymph nodes??
Thanks my friend. Well, they haven't really explained, at least not after the scan. Cameron talked to Dr Fernandez today so I need to call her myself.

When we saw her before she scheduled the scan she did say that the mesenteric lymph nodes were not really enlarged that much (just a little but I have been told you shouldn't normally see these nodes and they never showed in numerous other abdominal CT's he has had) and that it could have been due to an infection or some other immune response from something going on at that time. The night sweats could have resulted from the same cause.

The nodule. She said that sometimes depending on the angle of the image and the state of your respirations when imaged (lung deflated or inflated from breathing) that it can sometimes distort the before and or the second image. The first one could have looked smaller than it was originally so when the second image was taken it may have appeared to have grown when it really hadn't. If that makes sense?

The nodule was very small, like going from 6mm originally to 12mm on the second scan. The first was at a size where no action was recommended but the second had gone to the size where biopsy and or PET scan was indicated. We think this is scar tissue from where the jackass who cut his vagal nerve during the repair of his Nissen, also invaded his pleural space and Cameron's cavity filled with blood a day and a half later (even though he complained immediately after surgery) and had to be taken to ICU and a chest drain reinserted...yeah when we got the op report where we found he cut the vagal nerve and didn't tell us , that he has also invaded the pleural space twice had drains in during surgery but he removed them....and of course didn't tell us that either.. So the Asshat ignored Cameron's complaints about trouble breathing and pain in his chest for a day and a half before he finally did a chest x-ray to find it full of blood. Yeah I am still bitter about that. His surgery was 3 days after my DS so he was down the hall from me because I made sure I was kept in the hospital long enough so I could be there the day of his surgery because I knew there was no way I would be able to come back for his surgery if I had been sent home. By the way, I did go home after spending much of the day with him and Dianna stayed. She called me about 7:30 that night and told me they were rushing him to the ER, so my brother who was at Collin's football game drove me back in. That was a horrible night because I had left a message for Collin telling him what was going on and after the game his coach called me telling me that Collin had got my message after the game and was very upset and not able to talk so Coach called me. Cameron was fine at that point and I hadn't meant to scare Collin but apparently I did. Yeah Father of the year material for that one, making your Junior in high school son break down in front of his teammates. Luckily we had a very good coach actually taught his players to love one another and be there for them so they often hugged each other, so thank goodness they were able to comfort Collin and take care of him. Somebody drove him in, but man I messed that one up.

Anyway, I digress

Cameron has felt better the last 6 weeks so we thought he was probably going to get a good scan but it is really nice to have confirmation because I know it was weighing on his mind and obviously on Dianna's and mine as well (well what mind I left :D ).

Whew! I've been waiting on surrogate-parent tenterhooks for the results as well. Give him a hug from me (even though he has NO f'ing idea who I am ...).
Hahahaha!

Thanks darling. I will definitely do so. I already gave him a man hug earlier....you know the kind where you kind of put your arm around him as he is thinking, get off me old man. :D

Sounds like good explanations so far.

Stop beating yourself up over upsetting Colin at his football game. This kind of episode is inevitable when you have a brother who has cancer and multiple other problems AND surgical complications on top of everything else. It's very scary when someone you love has an emergency. That's why he was scared not because you screwed up. I could envision a different scenario where he didn't get notified right away and then wanted to know why no one told him his brother was not doing so well. It was good he was with his friends and teammates to support him.

Since I'm new I don't know everyone yet, but I'm *always* ready to celebrate a cancer free notice! Great news!
Thanks butterfly. Cameron is my 22 year old son who was diagnosed with Lympohcyte Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma just before Christmas in 2010. He spent most of the first six months of 2011 in a St Jude bed at the Children's Hospital of Illinois in Peoria where we live. Long story but he had all kinds of issues including a Pulmonary Embolism that put him in ICU for a week. A clot formed on his central line and piece broke off flowing through his heart and lodging in his lung. He had a really rough time with the after effects of Chemo that worked as it is put him in remission within 3months of starting treatment, but it caused bad neurological issues (went to Mayo five times for diagnosis and treatment of conditions). He has had 12 surgeries since being diagnosed, so he has had a very rough five years and as parents it hasn't been very easy for my wife and I.

The connection he has to our world is that he developed very bad gastroparesis from the failed nissen fundoplication I was discussing with Larra where the Dr cut his vagal nerve. That controls your pyloric valve so his stomach was only emptying about 20% 4 hours after eating. This caused horrible nausea, dizziness, dry heaving and retching. A local surgeon basically wanted to take his stomach out. I had learned about Dr Keshishian from a board before this place (the sane people left than place and Liz started this one with the help of Diana) so I emailed him about Cameron and he called me back 5 minutes later..that was about 5AM Saturday morning California time. Dr K didn't know me from Adam and he spent 45 minutes talking with me discussing possible options and telling me that I should be able to get a local surgeon to do this surgery for Cameron. BTW, he wouldn't take my insurance card and bill me for a consultation. His response, I love my job, this is what I do. Well we saw a surgeon as suggested and when the quack wanted to take95% of his stomach that is when I called Dr K back and said we are coming to see you. He would have gotten Cameron in the next day if we could have been there but we were there within a week and he put in basically a big gravity drain off the greater curvature of his stomach so food that didn't flow through normally would come out this Rouxen Y Drain. Yes is an RnY would be no weight loss component because only a few inches of intestine are bypassed...just enough to get the food out and not have to worry about it refluxing back into the stomach. Dr K also repaired Cameron's Nissen wrap, fixed a small ventral hernia, and found something called a meckel's divirticulum that he removed as well.

While we were out on that trip Dr K and I hit it off and began a discussion about me because at that time I had been on CREON for about 8 months for my severe malnutrition from my original DS. We decided to let things go until around the 2 years surgiversary of my DS. By that point I should have normalized as much as I was going to and my absorption should have been at its maximum. That would have been September. Well in late July lost 17 pounds in a week. Dr K said I needed to either immediately start TPN or get out for the revision to extend my Alimentary Limb to improve my absorption. I know you are looking at a revision so please pay attention that it was my AL and not my Common Channel that was too short (about half the length it should have been if my surgeon had given me a proper HESS DS). So many people talk about the CC as if it is the end all be all of the DS and the only thing that controls the amount of weight we lose and our nutritional status. The CC is important but just as important is the AL and relationship of the CC, AL and Bilpancreatic limb to length of the small bowel). Anyway Dr K did my revision of last year and I immediately stopped taking the boatload of creon I was taking daily to survive.

So that is how Cameron shares a connection to the bariatric world. We both had a surgical repair from the best bariatric surgeon in the world and the best man you will ever meet in all ways. Follow up care and concern for patients, technical skill, accessibility, learning, etc. Not sure if you picked a surgeon but I couldn't recommend any better surgeon to give you the second phase of your DS, the switch. The sleeve is phase one and btw, you didn't the VSG failed you. It simply doesn't have the long term success of the DS, so you are making a very wise decision and you will get the weight off as long as you eat protein first and take your vitamins.

Thanks for your well wishes and best of luck on your journey.

Stop beating yourself up over upsetting Colin at his football game. This kind of episode is inevitable when you have a brother who has cancer and multiple other problems AND surgical complications on top of everything else. It's very scary when someone you love has an emergency. That's why he was scared not because you screwed up. I could envision a different scenario where he didn't get notified right away and then wanted to know why no one told him his brother was not doing so well. It was good he was with his friends and teammates to support him.
Thanks sweet heart. I have forgiven myself but every now and then I still feel guilty about it. Tonight has been kind of emotional for me as you can imagine so this is one of those days where history and old memories of the good and bad come rushing back.

:inlove:

About the same time we went to California Cameron was not feeling well and for several reasons we thought his cancer had come back. He has a nodule in his lung that had doubled in size over the last six months and he was feeling bad and having night sweats (common Hodgkin symptom) ...he also had some mesenteric lymph nodes show up on the same scan that showed his lung nodule had grown.

In any case he had a PET Scan about 3 weeks ago and we finally got results back today. He is cancer free!
So glad this is good news! I bet your son has no idea how many "moms" he has fretting over him.

Thanks sweet heart. I have forgiven myself but every now and then I still feel guilty about it. Tonight has been kind of emotional for me as you can imagine so this is one of those days where history and old memories of the good and bad come rushing back.

:inlove:

So glad this is good news! I bet your son has no idea how many "moms" he has fretting over him.
Thanks Hon. No doubt. Lots of great surrogate Moms out there and the love/concern is so greatly appreciated.

I missed the posts about a nodule in your son. What a wretched 6 weeks you've had with worry. I'm so glad all is OK. Now that you can breathe easier, maybe you'll pack on a few needed pounds!

Latest posts

Back