I am very confused

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
As I recently posted, my last two A1C checks have come less than 4.0 or less than an average of 67 glucose. Fasting glucose readings I have had via labs or a couple of my own checks, over the last 6 months have been around 80. I did a spot check 2 hours after a meal a few times and it was 120-130. Today I had BBQ for lunch and my wife and I shared a decadent dessert. I immediately felt like shit, like my blood sugar was high. I check my blood sugar 90 and 120 minutes later and it was 160 both times. 30 minutes later it was 130.

I am just confused as hell because if my sugars were spiking up in the 160's my A1C should not have been less than 4.0. I am also confused as to why my blood sugar has all the sudden jumped up.....now I had a stupid meal today and it only got to 160, but it hasn't been anywhere near that for 2 plus years now.

Just another thing to add to my list of shit that never seems to go right.

Scott, the A1C is your average sugar over 3 months. When you feel crappie your sugar is probably low. My A1C is 3.9. We ate dinner at 430 in the nursing home by 8 pm I had to eat another meal because my sugars dropped between 60-70. I don't care for orange juice for the quick sugar.

Scott, the A1C is your average sugar over 3 months. When you feel crappie your sugar is probably low. My A1C is 3.9. We ate dinner at 430 in the nursing home by 8 pm I had to eat another meal because my sugars dropped between 60-70. I don't care for orange juice for the quick sugar.
Clementine, yes an A1C is an average but my sugar was HIGH today when I was feeling bad(not super high but high). This does not fit with an A1C below 4. I have not had an actual reading at 67 or below. My lowest fasting A1C has been a 79 and typically 80-85.

I also eat every couple hours, other than when sleeping. Fasting A1C's are not excessively low for me so this doesn't make sense.

I am starting to think that I might have hemolytic anemia as my RBC's are typically low and I am anemic. I know that this can cause a false low A1C reading.

As I recently posted, my last two A1C checks have come less than 4.0 or less than an average of 67 glucose. Fasting glucose readings I have had via labs or a couple of my own checks, over the last 6 months have been around 80. I did a spot check 2 hours after a meal a few times and it was 120-130. Today I had BBQ for lunch and my wife and I shared a decadent dessert. I immediately felt like shit, like my blood sugar was high. I check my blood sugar 90 and 120 minutes later and it was 160 both times. 30 minutes later it was 130.

I am just confused as hell because if my sugars were spiking up in the 160's my A1C should not have been less than 4.0. I am also confused as to why my blood sugar has all the sudden jumped up.....now I had a stupid meal today and it only got to 160, but it hasn't been anywhere near that for 2 plus years now.

Just another thing to add to my list of shit that never seems to go right.
Scott A1C is measured from hemoglobin. It's called "glygosolated" hemoglobin. (Sp?). If you have any H&H issues it could be inaccurate. Ask Dr K.

Scott A1C is measured from hemoglobin. It's called "glygosolated" hemoglobin. (Sp?). If you have any H&H issues it could be inaccurate. Ask Dr K.
google " Factors that interfere with HbA1c test results"

Concerning the use of A1C as a diagnostic tool: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/Supplement_2/S184.full
A1C assay is unreliable and cannot be used in many subjects
Abnormal hemoglobin traits are not uncommon in many regions of the world, and they significantly interfere with A1C assay (32), leading to spurious results. Also, there are several clinical conditions that influence erythrocyte turnover (e.g., malaria, chronic anemia, major blood loss, hemolysis, uremia, pregnancy, smoking, and various infections) that are responsible for misleading A1C data. Still, we are aware of ethnic differences in the relation between blood glucose and A1C levels (33) as well as an effect of aging. If different cut points regarding all these conditions need to be considered, A1C cannot be easily used to diagnose diabetes.

Home blood glucose meters have a fairly large margin of error as well: http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2014/Jan/blood-glucose-meters-2014.html

Okay, your hemoglobin is compromised due to anemia and other factors...So the red blood cells the A1C is measuring is not completely normal.

Yeah I have always known that A1C is not without it's issues and that variation of results with the same meter can be significant.

Yesterday was the first time I really felt hyperglycemic since having my DS and the first time I actually got elevated readings. 160 is higher than I want but obviously not horrible so I will monitor for the next few days. My fasting was 89 thus morning and I ate breakfast 1 at 9, so I will check at 11

Latest posts

Back