I’m going to get paid for talking!

Spiky Bugger

A local organization started doing a bit on the Women's Movement last year, in honor of the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment. They sought out (old) women who would tell their stories. They found 30 of us. Stories were told.

THEN, they decided they wanted to take five story tellers and have them “perform” their storytelling in a Zoom setting, which may, at some point in the future, be converted to a video. I was declared a “good” story teller, so I’m in that group.

I thought it was just “something to do.” It IS. But there’s a modest stipend involved. Not a huge amount of money. But it’s kind of fun to think about getting paid, since my last paycheck was about twenty years ago.

Here’s a freebie:
At my first job after HS, I worked for “the phone company,” a local part of the Bell System. We had medical insurance, a good thing that not many companies offered. We ALL had at least SOME coverage for things like broken bones, appendix removal, cancer surgery…that kind of thing. And MALE employees also had maternity coverage for their wives.

Naturally, FEMALE employees had no maternity coverage. “Why?” you ask. Silly you. A pregnant woman OF COURSE had a husband, and he had a job and he either had money or medical insurance. That’s why.

What? Did you just ask about a SINGLE woman who becomes pregnant? Oh, my. We really don’t need that kind of woman around here, do we?

Welcome to 1963.

This seems perfect for you and all who will benefit from your “storytelling”. I feel privileged that I was able to benefit from your knowledge before you became “ famous”. I hope there is a video made.

This seems perfect for you and all who will benefit from your “storytelling”. I feel privileged that I was able to benefit from your knowledge before you became “ famous”. I hope there is a video made.

Wow! Thanks.

You need to get your SAG-AFTRA card. I hear there is at least one slot available due to a resignation.

For those of us who went "Huh?"

Latest posts

Back