How to deal with severe gas pain?

Kimberly B

Since I had the DS in 1999 I'd heard of people that had severe gas pain, I never got that because I farted all the tme. It was smelly but it was a release, and I naturally did it. But now, with this bacterial overgrowth thing, I don't fart. Rarely, if ever. I am on flagyl and probiotics and Keflex now for the last three days but my stomach is six months pregnant and painful all the time. I've tried gas x though I don't think that gets to the Bilio pancreatic limb, and yoga moves, massage, heating pads, etc. Does anyone have tips? I looked on the internet and people said a teaspoon of olive oil or even mustard helps, or meds that. Move food faster through your intestine, but the part of my intestine affected has no food moving through it! Help?

Have you ever tried putting a cold damp washcloth on your stomach? I know it sounds weird but it works almost instantly to dissipate gas in your stomach. It's no long term solution, but might try it for some temporary relief.

I will try the washcloth trick...on the probiotics, i'm taking one primal defense ultra a day, two florastor, and hey I'll take more...can you overdose on those? my doctor said one a day but it seems like DS folks need more than one/ Anything that can help with the gas, i'm on it. Should I buy the Digestive advantage gas defense one too?

I don't have any real information, but I would think any medication that increases intestinal motility would have just as much impact on the BP limb as on the alimentary limb. The oil and mustard, not so much.

I will try the washcloth trick...on the probiotics, i'm taking one primal defense ultra a day, two florastor, and hey I'll take more...can you overdose on those? my doctor said one a day but it seems like DS folks need more than one/ Anything that can help with the gas, i'm on it. Should I buy the Digestive advantage gas defense one too?
Too many probiotics make gas and trots problems a LOT worse for me.

Hmmmm...yes, the gas is much much worse with the probiotics. And the trots? Well, I haven't gone to the bathroom now in two days. Perhaps just one primal defense ultra will do. I am Not going to take a laxative God forbid, that causes the worst cramps, so I am not sure what to do here? Talking to dr next week will discuss motility drugs if this keeps up. Thanks.

My solution to gas issues: get on hands and knees on the bed, pillow under my chest if it is more comfortable, butt way up in the air, head down. Move your gut around - try to break the gas pocket loose.

My solution to gas issues: get on hands and knees on the bed, pillow under my chest if it is more comfortable, butt way up in the air, head down. Move your gut around - try to break the gas pocket loose.
The weirdest thing about this is that it isn't just one gas pocket, I've tried this method, even gotten entire one hour massages on my stomach but to no avail. It is a hard, bloated stomach that feels like I'm. about six months pregnant...in the fifteen years since my surgery until this bacterial overgrowth thing of the last three to four months I always farted...a lot. And now, can't do so to save my life! Thanks for the tips, I'll keep trying.

Try the digestive advantage. Whenever I try to drink large amounts of whey protein, I get trapped gas. Digestive advantage seemed to help break it up, allowing it to pass.

Kim, I suffer with SIBO. Have sense my surgery 6 yrs. ago. Mayo has had me on a treatment plan but over the years it has gotten worse. I use to take flagyl to maintain healthy gut. Then when it gets too bad I had to start the flagyl 4x a day at 500 dose for at least 2 months. Sometimes I stayed on the antibiotic for over 4 months at high dosage as I was not absorbing it. This can happen when the gut gets off balance. The normal dosage of flagyl was not helping and had to increase it. Over the last year I have taken a medical food called SL#3/DS probiotic. You can get this as script from doctor. I have found that this is the only probiotic that has helped me and it keeps me from taken the full line of antibiotics. It really has been a miracle worker for me. I now find myself not needing to take the antibiotics to maintain. Hopes this helps. Wish all DSer's knew about this stuff. Wish I knew about it years ago.

If I walk and rub my stomach it tends to, release the gas. We just had to ( today) buy Toot(grandbaby) some Milicon drops because he has so much gas he starts screaming and hollering. I bet if you ask the pharmacist they have something equivalent for adults.

Latest posts

Back