Have you had a similar situation?

First off welcome to the board. That being said I have to address a comment you made in your post.

You can call me crazy but, when he went in this week, I was really hoping he would shorten the intestine more so I would absorb even less. At this point, I almost wish I had the problem of not being able to stop losing. Not me, though....I should be so freakin lucky!!!
As a person who was given too short of an Alimentary Limb I have had very significant health issues for the last 3.5 years that I believe are indirectly if not directly related to that surgeon error. It isn't a blessing and I am not lucky because I have to fight every day to get enough nutrients and vitamins to keep me out of the hospital. A year after my original DS surgery I ended up in the ER and subsequently a 7 day stay because my resting heart rate was 35, BP was 70/35 at one point and I was passing out. That is when we found out that my total protein and albumin were about 60% of the minimum standard of range. My other vitamin levels were in the crapper as well. They actually consulted cardiology and were considering a pace maker before the cardiologist said, "sir your problems are due to being significantly nutritionally deprived". I ended going on a Pancreatic enzyme called CREON that helps with the absorption of food. I was taking 400,000 IU daily and that dose is relatively unheard of. Eventually I found Dr K and lengthened my entire absorbing intestinal path in August of 2015. It did allow me to stop the creon immediately and keep just below or at the bottom of range for most components.

I know it was not your intent to offend with your statement, but I have to be honest and tell you it really bothered me to read that. We have at least one other member here who hasn't lost the weight she wanted to and in my opinion if I had to guess why, my gut tells me that she was left with too much absorbing intestine. That being said, I don't think she is lucky because she doesn't have to battle nutritional issues like I do. I know for a fact that she feels very unlucky and I as well would be disappointed if I was her. She and I are on the opposite ends of the normal distribution curve for absorption.

Anyway, I am glad you found us as their is a wealth of great knowledge here. If you could please do me a favor I would really appreciate it if in the future you could please be careful with statements about somebody being lucky. Again, I know it wasn't your intent to offend and not a big deal, but I had to say something.

I am very sorry about your other issues. My number of surgeries isn't in the 30's but it is up there. I too suffer from chronic pain and some other wacky stuff on a daily basis for which there are currently more questions than answers. Hopefully you can get some help with your challenges.

I'm one of the members who hasn't lost what I expected to. I won't detail my litany of issues (not necessarily DS related, but overall health-impacting) here, but I am not thrilled with my body shape. I think if I were to extremely limit my carb intake and become a gym rat for at least an hour a day, I could probably lose down to a normal BMI. I've got to decide.

Dear DSRIGGS,

I am sorry if I offended you. It was absolutely not my intention. I am so sorry you've had so much trouble with your health. Thank you for being so understanding. I was overweight from age 5 to age 42. So, my weight has plagued me nearly all of my life. My family has drilled me so much that it has completely deteriorated my self esteem. My mother is my rock and has been the most supportive but, even now, she has said that I'm eating the wrong things and too much...which is why I have gained back this weight. Let's forget that she hasn't even physically seen me eat in months. Anyway, I'm just desperate to get these regained pounds off and after nearly a year of every test, drug, etc done and still no loss, I am very frustrated and depressed. I certainly wouldn't want any more health problems than I already have. So many it is too much to put on a thread. I guess I just have to trust that God will help me to feel good about my body at some point. Again, sorry that I offended you and I will do my best to word my thoughts in an inoffensive manner.

My mother is my rock and has been the most supportive but, even now, she has said that I'm eating the wrong things and too much...which is why I have gained back this weight. Let's forget that she hasn't even physically seen me eat in months. Anyway, I'm just desperate to get these regained pounds off and after nearly a year of every test, drug, etc done and still no loss, I am very frustrated and depressed.
Maybe you are...not of the too much but of the wrong things.

First, get your operative reports so you know what you are dealing with.
Second, when was your last lab work and do you have a copy of the results? If so, post them (minus the personal info in the http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/vitamins-labs.16/ forum. If you rely on a doctor to say all is fine, you may be in real trouble.
Third, give us a day or so of what you normally eat on a daily basis.

We may see something you haven't considered.

Latest posts

Back