How is @oldbroad and @dianacox 's mom doing?

OldBroad

This is in response to a question asked a few weeks ago on another thread about how is our mom doing, which I didn't see at the time it was posted.

Mom got approved for four weeks of respite care at an assisted care facility. While assisted care is generally not paid for by Medicare or Medicaid, Mom is already qualified for nursing home care so a short stint in assisted living is covered. What a relief it has been to me to know that she is somewhere where there are people around her all to time to keep her busy and involved. It was especially helpful to me this week while I've been laid up by kidney stone treatment and its aftermath.

When she returns to her independent living apartment next week, I'm hoping to have her get enough home health aide coverage that she can hold out on moving to a nursing home until a space becomes available at the closest one (which is also very nice) where I can keep a vigilant watch over her care.

Her main problem with living alone is that her memory is going. She can be fairly well-oriented in the moment, but will forget what happened five minutes ago. That poses problems for her ability to take care of herself for any length of time. Fortunately, she has stayed mostly calm and cheerful. I feel very lucky that she hasn't become angry or resentful of her situation.

@OldBroad , I'm glad she got approval for respite care. That's fantastic. I hope you can find a wonderful home health aide who not only tends to her from a physical/medical perspective, but also provides friendly company.

I won't say that nobody here can imagine how grateful I am that Rachael is managing Mom's care - I would be tearing my hair out (Mom and I have a difficult relationship, as do Mom and Rachael in different ways, but Rachael handles things MUCH better than I do).

Our dad is also having memory issues, which will eventually lead to his current living situation being deemed untenable by his ladyfriend, with whom he lives. At that time, she will move into assisted living (because she already relies on Dad's assistance), almost certainly without taking him with her. At that point, he will move to Phoenix with us, assuming he is in a condition that we are capable of caring for him - at the moment, we would have no problem with it, but of course his health will likely deteriorate over time - he will be 86 in April. We are already investigating the VA nursing home situation here in the Phoenix area - there is a decent one about 25 miles from here (we are in the West Valley area of metro Phoenix), but I'm hoping there will be some closer options. In any case, 25 miles is more doable than the prior plans for moving him to a CalVet home in Fresno.

In the meantime, we have two bedrooms and a den to chose from in our new house.

My mom was so far gone at this point that she couldn't be trusted alone. And yet, Sen Dianne Feinstein had a cardiac device implanted and was back to work...asking VERY pointed questions...the next day. We all have SOME hope.

I am glad things are going as well as they can at this point. It is certainly difficult as our parents age. My Mother would have been living with us but she broke her foot and her general was deteriorating to the point that she would be in the hospital getting water off her chest for as long as medicare allowed and then the Dr had to send her to a nursing home for rehabilitation. She would end up back in the hospital with the day. That went on for a month and then we found out her lung cancer had spread and she said to any treatment and went into hospice care at the Nursing home and was gone within 10 days. I am glad she didn't suffer any longer because her last five years were horrible. I was having to drive 90 miles to work at that time and had a boss who was the owner of the company and a complete asshole who loved his business that he was basically given, more than his family....so I was one the road or at work 14 hours a day minimum and just wasn't able to spend the time with Mom that I needed to and wanted to. I feel guilty to this day because of that but I was able to be with her when she passed.

Anyway, I wish both of you and your parents the best as you travel down this road.

All the best with both your parents, @DianaCox and @OldBroad, mine are at similar inflection points and I know exactly how challenging and heartbreaking it can be. I'm honestly at a complete loss about what to do with my own family, so following your plans to get ideas for possible solutions. Hoping for the best!

Mom is scheduled to be returned to her retirement home in the middle of this coming week, with several hours of aides scheduled to be with her during the day. I'm not even slightly encouraged by my recent conversations with her that this is going to work for long. She can't remember what she is saying for more than a couple of minutes, doesn't really know where she is (in respite care in a nursing home, where she's been for 3.5 weeks) or why, making me think it is unlikely that she will be able to manage the time she will be alone very well. She recently started saying (multiple times in every conversation) that she should have had many more children, so one of us would have been willing to take her in - but frankly, she could have had 20 children, and it is doubtful that any of them/us would have had the emotional resources to deal with her - she has always been a difficult person. My sister's assessment of her demeanor is a lot more compassionate and calm than I would be in her circumstances.

My sister is working hard to get her bumped up on the waiting list(s) of qualified local nursing homes, but the wait is pretty long - six months I think. I guess they rely on more people dying on the wait lists than getting in.

Charles saw Dad about 10 days ago when he went up to the Bay area to supervise the move of our belongings down here to Phoenix. He said Dad was OK, but clearly troubled and anxious about his memory issues and the tenuousness of his current living situation. I think he keeps forgetting that living with us is an option, so I keep reminding him.

Here's a thought to allow her to stay in her retirement home until a spot opens in the nursing home... I hired a live-in aide to take care of my father in an assisted living facility. It was a one bedroom unit -- she slept on a fold out couch in the living room. This was far more economical than having shift workers -- live in was nearly half the cost of two 12hr aides. (His aide provided her own food, too.) I used a service to provide the aide. I paid a management fee to the agency and a separate fee to the aide who technically worked as an IC. He had a LTC monthly stipend that covered most of this.

@Clematis , that's a clever idea. If I may, how did you convince your father to enter an assisted living facility? That's where I'm falling short. I can't get my father to leave his home to either move in with us or to an assisted living facility or even to a single-floor apartment. My mom is his 24/7 caregiver and she's exhausted, so she'd make the move in a flash, but he won't cooperate.

It wasn't easy @hilary1617 My father had Parkinson's and dementia. I got his girlfriend on board to convince him to allow me to move him to an assisted living near him while I got his house on the market. He was always money driven, more so as he got older and sicker, so we told him he couldn't afford to live in his house anymore. (Actually this was mostly true.) It was during the AL's assessment that we realized just how advanced his dementia was. (He didn't know what season it was or who the president was or even his own birthdate -- we had no idea. He was very good at covering it up.) I sent him to his GF for the day, then dealt with the movers and packed his personal items. (Zero packing up for him -- too stressful.) I decorated the place with his own furniture and arranged the art around the TV to look as close as possible to what he looked at everyday as he watched Fox News for 16 hours. The first few weeks he was sort of ok as an independent resident with his GF visiting every day but he deteriorated rapidly while I was out of the country on vacation. (Those with dementia always have setback in unfamiliar environments.) Three weeks after moving in he landed in the hospital and we had to have 12 hr shift aides when he got back to the assisted living -- that cost us a staggering $19,000 a month before his LTC policy kicked in and we switched to live-in aide. I then packed up the dogs and spent 2 months getting his house ready to sell in the mornings and nights while spending the afternoons with him. The house sold the first day and I moved him 8 hours to an AL near me with the live in aide. His GF lied and said she was moving in with her kids out of state so there was no reason for him to stay near her.

Years before, I had my mother's health insurance company do a "senior assessment." (Most do this - check the policy.) I told her it was mandatory service. Two nurses came out and while one gave her a mental test, the other investigated her living conditions. They insisted she go to AL in 48 hours. Her living conditions were so deplorable, they would have turned her case over to adult protective services if she'd refused.

With both parents, we adult kids provided a united front (together with my father's GF) and said this IS what's happening, and then followed through in a couple days. No sitting around stewing about it.

I don;t know whether your father's issues are physical or cognitive or both. Maybe your mother could say she can't take care of him anymore and is moving to an assisted living with or without him. I suspect he has no desire to live alone so will follow. She has to be very resolute so he can't see any chinks in her armor. Good luck. It's such a difficult thing.

Clematis - I am blown away about what you had to go through, and how well you handled it.

Regarding our Mom, the thing is, her aides are free to us - she is on Medicare and Medicaid, through a program in Virginia called PACE: http://www.dmas.virginia.gov/Content_pgs/ltc-pace.aspx

The Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) was established to help adults ages 55+ who are living with chronic healthcare needs and/or disabilities receive community-based healthcare services and supports. By providing flexibility in how participants’ healthcare needs are met, PACE is often able to assist persons meeting functional nursing home level of care to reside within their own homes and communities longer than would have otherwise been possible.
Basically, it's a super-HMO which includes aides and attendants (though not reliable or very good, from what I've heard from my sister), but since Mom has ZERO assets and just a very paltry SS income (she got herself declared disabled when she was 61), it's really quite amazing for what it is costing Mom (or us), which is nothing. So a live-in aide is out of the question - but PACE is supposed to provide her what she needs.

Neither of our parents have LTC policies - and neither do we (we didn't qualify when we tried to buy them a few years ago).

Thanks @DianaCox As you know it is hard work caring for the elderly, made more so when we have an emotional tie to the person, and yet more so when that tie is a parent/child relationship which becomes reversed. And then have them live out of state...

It's amazing what services communities provide even though many aren't aware. (In my mother's suburb, they provided monthly housekeeping as she was legally blind from diabetic retinopathy.) How are your mother's bathroom skills? I assume these PACE aides are just for an hour or two a day? Can she be left alone for blocks of time? If not, what about advertising free room and board at a nursing school/nurses aide school in exchange for overnight monitoring, if necessary? At the very least can she act worse off than she is to get the most care? Both my parents had very high IQs and hid their dementia very well. They would have gotten help so much sooner if they'd just opened up.

Even when I first moved him, my main concern was that my father needed help in the bathroom. He was not incontinent, he simply had a very short 'warning' time (helped with elastic waist khakis) but could no longer wipe himself. Waiting for the one aide in an AL to make it to his room to wipe him was impossible. And he would freak out over this as he was fastidious to a fault. Staff does not do well with these people in the middle between fully bathroom capable and incontinent. (AL or nursing home). If someone needs bathroom assistance, they'd prefer incontinent so they can change a diaper on their schedule, not the resident's.

Note for @hilary1617 and others considering AL/SN: Ask about staffing per shift. (Skilled nursing facilities staffing may be state regulated but better SNs exceed that amount.) Many assisted livings say "1 to 3 resident to staff ratio" but after having experience in several states with several facilities, that ratio only applies to daytime. By 8pm my father's expensive AL had ONE aide to assist 52 residents, most in wheelchairs and walkers. I called the fire chief to complain that one person could not get 52 people in wheelchairs, walkers, blind and with dementia out safely in a fire. (The FD are badass and gets things done in my experience.) He agreed it was a disaster waiting to happen but said their hands were tied as legislation has not kept up with the mutation of assisted livings from retirement homes where everyone had to be ambulatory and bathroom capable, to unregulated quasi nursing homes. The elderly, especially with dementia, do not sleep well at night. They need as much staff then as they do during the day. Yet they hold on to the lower nighttime staff ratio to save money, I believe because we aren't there as witnesses -- the same reason the food is better at lunch when management and family may be there and abysmal at dinner. Also at skilled nursing homes, medicines can be administered ±Half hour; at ALs, medicines may be administered by as long as ±One hour. This can be critical. If you take meds every 3 hours as Parkinson's patients do, at an AL you could get meds an hour apart causing dyskinesia or as long as 2 hours too late resulting in tremors and rigidity. One particularly wretched day for my father, I learned he was given Noon med at 1pm; 3pm med an hour later at 2pm resulting in him grimacing wildly and with "tics"; 6pm med 5 hours later at 7pm and he was like a stone barely able to move.

Sorry you were BOTH denied for LTC. What reasons did they give? I'm curious as to whether DS would make one ineligible. We should be a BARGAIN. Yes it may take more services to wrangle nutritional needs, which no facility will figure out, so we'll die faster and the insurance company saves money.

My father's LTC policy was a godsend -- but he only lived to use two years of the four year policy. If you are unfamiliar, these policies generally only provide monthly reimbursement for a period of 4 years. My father's was for a maximum of $6,000 a month. His AL with privately-hired live-in aide was about $5,500 but when he was moved to a nursing home the last 4 months of his life, it was over the $6,000 max and we had to make up the difference, even though the insurance company had "made" $500 a month on him for 20 months.

My husband and I applied for LTC. Two weeks before the nurse phone eval, while talking on the cell while walking in 3' heels, I tripped over the dog and broke my ring finger. At only age 59 I was denied based on my "history of fractures" -- my "history" consisting of a 1/8" crack in a finger, for crissakes, fully healed by the time the denial came in. Had the damn finger been amputated instead of broken, I would have been accepted! They make it harder for women to be accepted because men don;t often use most of their policies as the wife takes care of him at home for as long as possible. (Look at the data: most LTC policies are only used for 2 years before person dies.) However women always use their policies b/c they've either outlived their husband or the husband doesn't know how to take care of her -- and b/c they live longer, they use all or most of the policy's funds. Anyway, when I applied my state had gender neutral rules but went to gender specific policies 4 months later -- women now pay more for the same policy as a man. Had I reapplied and been accepted, my policy would have been 2x as expensive as my husband -- and he's 4 years older. (He was approved.) Now my LTC policy is a bottle of vodka, a gun and a rowboat into Lake Erie.

Reasons for denial of LTC: I claimed disability in 2010 after my Reglan misadventure. I can't remember why Charles was denied - probably HBP and high cholesterol. Or history of squamous cell carcinoma (in remission now for 13+ years).

I save partially used narcotics prescriptions. They don't go bad very quickly if stored properly.

@Clematis, thanks so much for sharing your story and guidance. Very helpful. I echo Diana's amazement that your challenge was significant and you rose to meet it so gracefully.

My dad is experiencing a rapid decline of physical capability and memory, but is able to mask the latter very well (former law professor, highly skilled at debate). He views signing paperwork to voluntarily go on the waiting list to be admitted to the VA as tantamount to signing his own death warrant. Sadly, I live 1,000 miles away and we are at a point where it appears that he will only move via catastrophic event or court action. Stalemate. I'm desperately trying to find another way...

In the meantime I'm hoping for the best for Diana and Rachel's mom and dad. This whole aging thing is for the birds.

Last edited:
@DianaCox and @OldBroad, I just received word from my mom that the VA has granted 12 hours a week of home health care aid for my dad, to include assistance with, dressing, showering, exercising, and simple housework. Tomorrow the VA is also sending house evaluators to determine what will make the house safer for him.

Thought this might be something that could helpful for your dad's current situation as well.

Latest posts

Back