How is @oldbroad and @dianacox 's mom doing?

@hilary1617 - I will mention this to him. Sounds like 2 hrs/day except Sundays?

That might be helpful for Dad, although his living situation might make that it difficult to take advantage of that. I will mention it to him and his ladyfriend. Can you tell me what program exactly is providing that in-home assistance?

I'm not sure Mom is entitled to his VA benefits - they've been divorced since about 1979, though neither remarried.

@hilary1617 - I will mention this to him. Sounds like 2 hrs/day except Sundays?

That might be helpful for Dad, although his living situation might make that it difficult to take advantage of that. I will mention it to him and his ladyfriend. Can you tell me what program exactly is providing that in-home assistance?

I'm not sure Mom is entitled to his VA benefits - they've been divorced since about 1979, though neither remarried.
This link MAY help: http://www.va.gov/geriatrics/About_Us.asp
And while it might not help your mom, it could help your dad when needed.

@DianaCox ,

My Mom has replied as follows:

"Have your friend call and go into the regional VA office and begin the process of registering her father for VA health care benefits. He will need to have a primary care physician appointed and his status for benefits evaluated. The levels go from one to seven. Dad is a three as a disabled veteran, disabled by virtue of tinnitis from flying with open canopies. Disabled veterans incomes do not matter. "​

When I followed up to prompt for a specific program name, she responded:

"Have your friend call the social worker at the regional VA office and ask for help with a referral for a house evaluation and occupational therapy evaluation as well as home health care aid help. The PCP will be contacted by the social worker and will make the required referral. The PCP must be on the VA staff. Dad has one at the Soldier's Home (state run) and one at the VA (federal) as well as a private PCP through my insurance. "​

She went on to provide the details of what is happening specifically in my Dad's case, which seems great:

"The house evaluators and OT person have ordered grips for both tubs, a bed rail, a toilet assister, and railings for outside to make Dad safer at home. They also checked out his mobility. Tomorrow the home health care aide is coming for the first time. "​

So, it just appears to be something a VA PCP can order.

All the best!

Latest posts

Back