Holiday…or any day, really…thoughts:

Spiky Bugger

I saw a post from a 911 friend about an operator who just took a call about a person who hanged himself.

I remember a lot of death calls this time of year - some natural, some suicide.

As you run around getting ready to celebrate the holidays, please remember to be kind above all else. You just never know if that person grumpily trying to find the marshmallows is someone who is on the verge, someone grieving a loss, or one of the people who talked them through the trauma or showed up at their door.

May those who are tired, find peace;
Those who are hungry, find nourishment;
Those who are in pain, find comfort.

one of my favorite parts of Christmas: playing my Holiday CDs

one of my least favorite parts: answering "what are you doing for Christmas" when I don't have any plans.

This time of year is hard for many. Very many didn’t have the “perfect holiday” growing up. Some did, and got it yanked out from under them. Many lost people dear to them. Many lost all they had. We can’t assume everyone is having a happy holiday.

We all have our own ghosts haunting us. Some deal with it better than others.

Planning to do nothing is my go to plan. I like calm and quiet. I've been practicing this for years.
We’ve been doing nothing for several years. Kinda nice.

My husband isn't religious, but he likes some of the secular parts for the holidays. If we were with family, we'd do a little something. Being in health-care meant someone would have to provide some coverage on holidays. Not too many calls for medical records, but I was able to keep busy. Then I got to take any other day off.

Also, since my dad was a firefighter, we got used to celebrating when he was off duty..

We don't celebrate Christmas. Hubby and I are just happy to be home and relaxing. We get gifts for the kids but that's it. We don't even decorate. It's a tough time of year for many reasons.

My husband isn't religious, but he likes some of the secular parts for the holidays. If we were with family, we'd do a little something. Being in health-care meant someone would have to provide some coverage on holidays. Not too many calls for medical records, but I was able to keep busy. Then I got to take any other day off.

Also, since my dad was a firefighter, we got used to celebrating when he was off duty..

We always did Thanksgiving ON Thanksgiving, but Christmas Eve? That had to be the day that LA County Fire Blue Shift, LAPD Green Shift, LA City Fire “on a day, off a day, on a day, off three days,” all aligned. And when my generation became adults, there was LA County Sheriff’s “four days on, two days off“ and St. Vincent’s Hospital‘s schedules to add in! And it eventually got worse.

Last edited:
Hubby was a mechanical engineer in the nuclear power field. Holidays had to be covered by someone cause power plants do not shut down. People expect electricity. So those with kids rotated Christmas every year. Every other year, he’d get it off. Those without kids also rotated as well.

I would decorate but having cats made it interesting. I inherited my Mothers artificial tree after she passed away. I put it up but without any decoration. The cats had a blast playing in it. When we went full time in the RV, all my Christmas decorations went to reside with the daughter. She still has them cause we haven’t had a chance to retrieve them. Hopefully soon.

In addition to all the advice already posted, be kind(er) to store clerks and servers. My sister worked retail. We didn't speak to her from Thanksgiving to the end of January. Most of them need their jobs and have little to no control over most aspects of the job. Like prices, inventory, and long lines or wait times times.

Latest posts

Back