Hello Everyone, working on switch only after vsg (in 2013) with Dr. Esquerra in Nov.

rjcar4

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and working up the courage to go get the 2nd part (switch only, no resleeve) done with Dr. Esquerra in Nov.

Wanted to ask how your experience went. I recently received a list of post-op instructions from them and wanted to ask what the post op is for just switch. Are you all still on 30 day liquid diet after the switch.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

-RC

All the docs have their own protocols for postop. Lots of Esquerra posties here I am sure someone will come along with the answers.

I went to Dr. Esquerra, but had a virgin DS. So I can't help much on post op for your situation. It was a good experience for surgery and the care was amazing. Two things I wish I knew.

(1) Ask for a room with a window - some have them, some don't. I felt like I was in a cave.
(2) As you are learning, their post op instructions, care, etc is not that strong, which I suspected. If it was not for this board, I would have been a pretty lost. You might really start asking what people in general do for 2nd part and post in the general forum and figure out what is going to work for you.

In terms of the 30 day liquid diet those are the same instructions I got, so double check.

I too was virgin DS so can't be much help on switch only. I would bet they instruct you to do same 30 day staged eating plan as they are known for, it's not a straight liquid for 30 days (is that what you meant), but liquid, then creams, then puree, then soft, etc. I sort of skipped a few steps or at least shortened them, I can't lie. :y4tsearch:

Ok, more people will chime in I'm sure, but just know, everyone has has very good experiences with Dr. Esquerra. My family freaked out on me, and I was strong in my decision to go to Mexico because of what people on this board wrote about their experiences.

Thank you for your responses. Hopefully some more people will respond with their experiences.

I also sent to mexicali , and had Dr. Esquerra. (Mine was a revision from the band to a DS.)

I thought Dr . Esquerra and his whole team was lovely . It was seriously one of the best experiences I've ever had, medically speaking.

Maybe you can start a new thread asking for people who had the DS in 2 stages to help you navigate . I think the way this post reads , it sounds more about Dr. Esquerra and really you just advice and comparison with aftercare , right? I hope you get some good replies
Good luck ! !

I had virgin DS w/ Esquerra a year ago. Great experience. Can't speak specifically to switch only but will say the only thing that gave me trouble (and still does) was the VSG part -- sleeve just doesn't like dense protein; bowels are fine. So if you're just getting the switch, I think you won't have any issues what so ever as you've long ago recovered from the VSG.

I suspect you'll get the boiler plate post-op diet of 10 days of clears, 10 of creams, and 10 of softs, then free to eat whatever at 30 days. This diet plan is made to allow the slower-healing stomach to heal and is overkill for switch only, IMO, but I'm not a doc.

(None of the 7 rooms on the first floor bariatric wing had windows when I was there, @galaxygrrl The only light was from a locked door at the end of the hall that opened into a dark alley.)

I also sent to mexicali , and had Dr. Esquerra.
Maybe you can start a new thread asking for people who had the DS in 2 stages to help you navigate . I think the way this post reads , it sounds more about Dr. Esquerra and really you just advice and comparison with aftercare , right? I hope you get some good replies
Good luck ! !

This is a good idea.
(None of the 7 rooms on the first floor bariatric wing had windows when I was there, @galaxygrrl The only light was from a locked door at the end of the hall that opened into a dark alley.)

I was pretty sure the room on the corner and across the way from me had windows. In any event, it does not hurt to ask.

Thanks for the responses soon. Hoping some more people will share their experiences soon. I wish I could tag users "soontobelovely" and "Kiekerdepiekske" to hear about their experiences

Hi and welcome @rjcar4! I've only seen positive things written by Dr. Esquerra's patients , but was a virgin DS in Chicago, so can't add any personal perspective other than to say that DS was one of the best decisions I ever made. All the best!

I'm also checking into a revision from VSG to DS. I will be anxious to see what responses you get. Keep me informed on your journey.

Latest posts

Back