Newbie to the Site...

msquetta1

Hello everyone! I've been reading a lot of posts on this site & have found TONS of helpful info! :D

*Sorry for the long post*
A little about my weight loss journey.... For years, I spent a lot of money & time on diet pills, weight loss programs, gym memberships, & other methods to lose weight but nothing worked. I had several coworkers that decided to get the VSG & they had great results, so I jumped on the bandwagon & had it as well (Dr. Dietrick, Tampa, FL.... Sept 2015). I was taking meds for high blood pressure already & I also had sleep apnea. At my pre-op appt I learned I had diabetes. The surgeon told me it would go away after my VSG. It didn't! I also developed high cholesterol, GERD, & the worst smelling gas EVER!!! None of my comorbidities went away after surgery. I've only lost 46lbs since I had the surgery! :frown: Yes, I followed everything according to the diet plan but the weight loss just stopped. No matter how many times I did the pouch reset or did all liquids for several weeks, the scale wouldn't move. I was determined to make the sleeve work for me, but it didn't.

I found another surgeon here (Dr. Foreman... Huntsville, Alabama) that will do a revision. Last week I got the approval for a revision to RNY, however, after reading so many success stories on this site about the DS surgery I think I've had a change of heart. I'm terrified of the possible complications from the DS in general, but I think it's the best option for me to "cure" me of my ailments & help me maintain a normal weight long term. I'm going to speak with the surgeon next week to get his input on the DS & see if my insurance will approve the surgery.

I think all my questions about the revision to DS have been answered from reading thru this site, but I do have one that is very important..... Does anyone regret doing a revision from VSG to DS? I welcome any & all info regarding this procedure.

Thanks! :cool:

VSG pre-op weight: 279, day of surgery: 266, current weight: 220....

Hi and welcome!
I'm sorry the sleeve didn't work out for you, but you are not alone. We see people here and elsewhere all the time who either never lost much weight, or who did well initially but then experienced significant weight regain despite their best efforts.
I doubt that a gastric bypass surgeon is going to recommend an operation (the ds) that he doesn't do, and I know of no DS surgeon in your state. You will need to travel, but the extra effort is worth it, as you have a bunch of comorbidities that the DS has far and away the best statistics for permanent resolution for (type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc). Not to mention the best statistics for excess weight loss and for maintenance of that weight loss. AND you would be able to take NSAIDs if needed, while they are contraindicated for the rest of your life with gastric bypass.
As far as your insurance goes, get your EOC (evidence of coverage, a long document that spells out all the details) and read it yourself rather than trusting anyone else to get it right for you, and know that many people can appeal if they are denied - again, depends on your policy. So don't settle for an operation that isn't really what you want.

When I had my initial consultation with the surgeon here, we discussed the options for revision & I told him that I was sure I wanted the RNY. I don't think he'd go over the DS info with me if he doesn't perform that procedure. I hope that's not the case. I'm definitely going to check with the insurance company tomorrow morning to go over my options. I should've gone with the DS in the beginning, but you better believe that I won't make the mistake of choosing the wrong surgery TWICE! Lol

Welcome msquetta1
With the VSG already, you are halfway to the DS. If you get the RNY, you will forever lose your pyloric valve. Don’t do the RNY.

Now, as far as a DS surgeon (and any vetted DS surgeon can handle the second half of the DS (the guts part), your closest option is TN, Dr. Boyce. Other option is TX, Dr. Ayoola. There simply is not a DS surgeon in AL at all. (My kids live near Birmingham so I’ve looked there when people ask).

Thanks. I'l find out more info when I go pick up some paperwork on Thursday. I'm not sure why he'd give me the option if he doesn't do that revision, but I hope he does. If he doesn't I'll probably look into the doc in TN since they're closer.

*Edited*

Per my surgeon's website (https://www.alweightlosscenter.com/...evision-bariatric-surgery-huntsville-alabama/) he offers the revision to DS.
It says revision but not DS. Ask him a few questions.
How many DS’s has he done.
Who’d he proctor with to learn the DS.
Does he do the Hess method, and if not,why
How many Anastomsis does he make. (For a DS, the answer is two)
Ask him to draw what he plans on doing and then share here.

We would love to have another DS surgeon.

On the revision page one of the revision options says sleeve to Duodenal Switch. I'll make sure I ask him those questions. My appt with him isn't until the 27th but I'm off Thursday so I'm gonna go by his office to see if he can give me a definite answer before I go thru all the pre-op tests for the RNY.

Good to ask lots of questions, but again, don't trust or expect someone at the insurance company to sort out your coverage for you. Not just because they're human, but because they work for and are paid by the company, not you, because they may not even understand the differences between operations, because criteria for a revision are often different from criteria for a primary bariatric operation, and mostly because they don't care about this the way you do. Get that EOC!
And, remember that the EOC will also include info about your appeals rights and pathway, if any, and there is a good chance you will need that info.

Also, Dr Esquerra does a VGS to DS in Mexico. I think it's 7 or 8K. When I had my DS there, there was a person who has that revision surgery there by Dr. Esquerra and was there for a hernia. She was very, very happy.

Now, get it in the States if your insurence will pay for it, but MX is not a bad choice. I did Mexico becasue my insurence was being a PITA.

I had ever co-mordbity in the world. DS solved them all.

My insurance covers a revision as long as it's been 2 years since my original surgery & I still have the comorbidities. I'm glad to hear that DS worked for you. :D

Welcome and you are on the right track. The sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach but they make it sound like so much more... The DS just makes sense for you. After all, you already have half of it done!!!

So, I was very taken with that woman who has the DS revision when I in MX. She said, the sleeve was a lot of work and it was so hard and the DS is so easy. She said I would love the DS. She was right on all accounts. I hope you have her experince.

Latest posts

Back