Gut-punched by "friend" - don't know what, if anything, to do

DianaCox

Bad Cop
This is really long, but the nuances matter, I think (or I'm just indulging in a long-winded gripe, accompanied by butt-hurtness). Please feel free to ignore.

Background: Charles and I met Mitra about 15 years ago, when she started cutting our hair at a nearby salon. We became friendly over the years, and moved our friendship into the "real world" years ago. She was invited to our house for many family events - birthdays, holidays, baby shower, and she was a guest at my daughter's wedding (she did not do anyone's hair for the event - purely as a guest). When we have our hair cut by her at the salon, we pay full price, plus tip.

In fact, Mitra was at our house for Charles' 60th birthday party, when she met Ian, our next door neighbor who was also at the party, and they started dating. They got engaged last year, and are getting married next month, and we are invited to the wedding.

Perhaps I should note that the only party that Mitra has invited us to with her family before the wedding was a couple of years ago, when she held Ian's 50th birthday party at her home. But she is an Iranian immigrant with a rather traditional family, many of whom don't speak English, so I figured that was probably the reason.

Also over the years, Mitra has asked me for input about minor legal issues she has had - she had a friend turn somewhat stalkerish after she started dating Ian, and I helped her draft a cease and desist letter; a couple of times I counseled her about consumer issues with a custom-ordered product that was unacceptable, and a lost gift card, and then there was the time her father was in the hospital dying of pancreatic cancer and she was upset about an aspect of his care, and I imposed on a friend who knew the CFO of the hospital to contact the CFO and intervene. Just the sort of thing a friend would do for a friend.

About 10 years ago, Mitra - who was a single parent to two children around our kids' ages - started going to school to get her real estate license, and even after she got her license and started working for a local well-known nationwide realtor, she kept doing hair part time as well - steady income, plus as she often told me, she sometimes got real estate clients from her salon clientele.

About a year ago, when Charles and I started thinking about selling our house, I talked to her about it - and the first thing she said to me was that she would NOT be representing us in selling the house, because we were friends, and wanted to keep it that way. She said she would of course be willing to "consult" while we went through the process, but that she would not represent us.

I was frankly surprised at the time, because I understood that she represented her salon clientele, but then again, we were really FRIENDS too, so it kind of made sense. In particular, after she and Ian got engaged and she started making plans to move in with him next door, it became clear how wise that decision to not represent us was, because not only would representing us likely be a strain on the friendship - there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of money involved - but she would be in a per se conflict based on the fact that any prospective buyer was also a potential next door neighbor for her - which could mean she might unconsciously or otherwise counsel against selling to someone she didn't want as a neighbor, or pressure us to accept a crappy offer from someone she DID want as a neighbor.

All in all, it seemed like a very smart thing for her to have said, and I was actually touched by her turning down an almost sure thing of being selected as our agent, for the sake of our friendship.

Over the last year, I have mentioned stuff about selling the house to her - including at one point, trying to figure out the price to list it on Zillow's "Make Me Move" website. She sent me some insider information about recent and pending sales, and we talked it over for about an hour on afternoon. I have tried to not talk to her about details too much, because I didn't want to impose on her kind offer to "consult" until I really needed her help.

The Zillow post generated quite a bit of interest from realtors (and a few potential buyers, but only one lowball offer). Over the last couple of months, we have interviewed about 12 agents who contacted us, and have pretty much settled on an agent from another realtor - we hit it off with him, it turns out his wife is a friend of my daughter's, he reduced the fee from 6% to 5%, and he is going to pay to stage the house out of his fee. We negotiated in a businesslike way, with him saying he is giving us a "friends-and-family" discount - but while he's a nice guy, we are NOT friends with him, and if we end up angry at him, it would be no skin off my nose, or my daughter's.

I didn't ask Mitra for a recommendation for an agent from her employer, because I figured it would be the same problem - if I asked her for advice with dealing with a coworker, it would be a similarly uncomfortable conflict situation. But when we were planning our trip around the Southwest last fall, and two of my friends who had moved to Santa Fe were lobbying for us to move there, I asked Mitra to refer me to someone from her company to talk to while we were there - and we made a point to meet her coworker at an open house on that trip, even though we were not interested in moving anytime soon, because it was the polite thing to do, in particular for Mitra's sake as the referring agent.

A couple of weeks ago, Mitra accidentally locked herself out of her house early in the morning, while wearing her bathrobe. Ian had already left for work, so she knocked on our door and asked if she could wait at the house while he drove back, and we sat and chit-chatted. As it happened, one of the agents who contacted me based on the Zillow post was from her employer (although I didn't care for them). While she was waiting for Ian to get back, I casually mentioned to Mitra having met with the agent from her firm, and that I was considering them as well as others, because it didn't look like the FSBO, "as-is" approach we were hoping for was going to work. I didn't think a thing about having mentioned this, because it was crystal clear to me that we were on the same page about the whole issue. And she didn't say anything about it either.

A couple of days ago, Charles was outside and saw Ian, and they were chatting for a moment, and Charles mentioned that we were about to list the house with an agent from Coldwell Banker.

Last evening, I texted Mitra and asked her if she had found another salon - I had heard from my daughter, who has a friend who worked at the same salon as a waxer, that the shop had closed - and if so, did she have time to do my hair now so I would look nice for her wedding (on April 16th). She said she had, and asked if Friday at 1 was OK. I said yes, and then we had the following exchange, which left me reeling:

I will confirm the time when I check my schedule. BTW, Ian told me he was talking 2 Charles the other day & Ian understood Charles 2 say u guys we getting ready 2 list with a Coldwell Banker agent. Is that right?

Yes

WOW.

Something I should know?

I thought we had few long conversations within past few years about listing ur house with me. I wonder y I didn't get the courtesy from u 2 let me know u r listing it with someone else.

Mitra, you EXPLICITLY told me you didn't want our listing, because we are friends and you didn't want to risk anything getting in the way of that! We talked about it the first time I mentioned to you - FIRST- that we were thinking about selling - nearly a year ago

Doesn't ring a bell. I never said that. NEVER.

I was surprised, but thought that was wise and smart. You offered to "consult" if we had questions while dealing with whomever we picked to represent us. I am REALLY clear that that is what you told me!
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding - from my very clear recollection, and Charles' too, I went to you first, but you said you didn't want to represent us. I'm sure we've discussed it multiple times since then.
I didn't ask you for a referral to someone local with Keller for the same reason - I thought you would not want to be put in an awkward position of counseling us, if we asked for your input, against a coworker.
But I did ask you for the referral to the Santa Fe Keller agent, because I valued your input and thought an agent in a different state was ok.

This is a sad & serious misunderstanding. But that does not change the fact that I am disappointed & hurt. Wishing u the best. I never thought our long & special relationship will end this way.

What? Why would it end over a misunderstanding like this? I asked you FIRST, and I thought you were very clear that you would NOT feel comfortable representing us! I didn't ask again because you were very clear on that point.
I am shocked that you don't have the same recollection, but even more so that you are saying it would end our friendship.

She did not answer that text and I haven't heard anything from her since. I am still in shock.

I wrote (but did not send) a long email last night that went over the chronology in detail, and explained that from the git-go, I was quite clear that she had immediately insisted that she would not represent us, and that I was surprised and a little miffed, but after I thought about it, it made perfect sense - not just from the risking-the-friendship point of view, but because of the potential conflicts, including that we might expect concessions from her as our agent (the market here is VERY hot - very few listings available and prices are very high) which would be uncomfortable to ask for because we are friends, or conversely, that as friends, we might be the clients from hell, with unreasonable demands and expectations that would be difficult to manage because of the friendship. Plus, the whole potential next door neighbor thing.

And I said if I had misunderstood her statement as being a "white lie" to be polite, and to not appear to be taking advantage of our friendship to get the listing without competition, and that I was supposed to have tried to talk her into taking the listing anyway, I obviously completely didn't get it. I never tried to change her mind because what she said made sense, and because she seemed to me to be so adamant about it, that trying to change her mind would have been RUDE - it appeared to me to be based on her good and principled ethical view of the situation, and NOT negotiable, so I never brought it up again.

Now I feel like we've never been friends at ALL, and that the only reason she has been accepting our invitations to family functions has been to cultivate us as a real estate client, and that all we have been to her is a potential mid-5-figures commission. And once again, I feel like I have been suckered by someone trying to exploit my good nature. And this time, even Charles didn't see it.

I am in a quandary. I don't even know what to say or do at this point. Does anyone have any advice? (And do I assume we have been disinvited from the wedding on the 16th?)

omg! what a mukin fess! You guys have been friends and neighbors for years! Goodness this should be able to be worked out but IMHO you have to to talk face to face and not text or email. If she was really upset she should have not have texted you but come knocked on the door and said what the hell. Then you could have had the whole conversation and gotten it settled one way or the other.

From what you have written, I would not think she cultivated you for the commission over all the years you guys have known each other.

The decision is yours - do you want to try and save this friendship - if so - invite them both over for dinner or drinks and see if you can work it out. Apologize for your part in the fiasco (even if there wasn't any) and ask what you can do to make it right. It is obviously her perception that you have gone behind her back and 'cheated' on her with another agent. It is your perception that all has been on the up and up. If the friendship is worth saving there is somewhere in the middle. There will not be a winner here - she is right and you are right. I think trying to prove and defend your actions will only antagonize her and add fuel to her fire.

Money always f's up friendships.

Gosh, I hope you guys can work this out.

The really tricky thing is that at this very moment, we have NOT signed with the other agent. But even if we smooth this over, I do NOT want her to be my agent. First of all, she was right about the conflict - including the part about picking her own neighbors and that inherent conflict. I have no information about her skills as an agent, and from the little I know about her work, from what she has mentioned, it seems to me most of her properties have been smaller and cheaper (townhomes and out of area listings), and not necessarily in this particular neighborhood. I could not possibly negotiate at arms-length a reduced commission with her under the circumstances (as I said, the other agent is reducing his commission to 5% and paying for the staging).

But I think she is thinking that I should blow off this other agent at the last minute, and give the listing to her, because we're friends, and I "owe" it to her. And the fact is, that kind of sticks in my craw all by itself.

"If she was really upset she should have not have texted you but come knocked on the door and said what the hell." I know, right? As it happened, I thought about making a hair appt last night at 10:15 PM, so I texted her. Then she texted back about the appointment first, and then dropped that bomb on me in a "BTW" in the middle of the text about the appointment. I was completely taken aback. I talked to my daughter today, and she remembers me telling her that Mitra had refused to list for me, a long time ago, and me explaining why, which she also then thought was a good idea.

Fuckity fuck.

On top of that, I have a box they agreed to let me store in their basement, with things that shouldn't get too hot (my violin and a couple of other musical instruments, and all our candles) - I didn't want to leave them in a storage unit. Now I have to find some other place for them.

One of my biggest regrets in life has been hiring a friend. It cost me the friendship and hurt me professionally. You are spot on that it is not a good idea for Mitra to be your agent.

It doesn't appear to me that she sought out your friendship to cultivate a potential future commission. Sadly, my take is that (i) either circumstances have changed such that she is now desperate for business where she could turn it away before, or (ii) there was a huge communication failure on her part, in which the original conversations on the topic comprised a confounded, coded, passive-aggressive invitation for you to seek her representation.

Neither (i) nor (ii) would build confidence in her sales abilities. You need the agent that is most likely to get you the best results.

I think this is one that a bit of time and thinking should heal naturally - were she my friend, I'd probably stay away for a couple of weeks, then offer a get together over coffee.

If she insists on holding the friendship hostage to win your business, then the friendship isn't worth it.

Either way, so sorry - that's an unexpected and unfair blow.

Hilary summed up what I was thinking perfectly. I wonder if as your move got closer and became a reality, and she realized how smokin the market is right as you are ready to list with the potential commission she could have gotten...she may have rethought her stance, or maybe she has greater need for the income now and is feeling desperate?

The only thing I know for sure, is that money fucks up relationships. Money loaned, or gifted, or anticipated in something like an estate - no matter what you do there can be hard feelings whether friends or family, so that is why my mind immediately goes to the potential missed commission effing with her thought process.

I hope you can sort it out with her, as there seem to be hurt feelings on both sides.

No words of wisdom but I am sorry to hear this. Business/financial dealings with family and friends rarely work out, has been my experience. You are right that she shouldn't get your listing even if she was doing a horribly over the top job of, "no, no you aren't buying my dinner" bit. I have to ask, she is all there right? I just can't see how she could possibly be doing this now unless she really doesn't remember the conversation, because if she really wanted your listing she should have never said no to begin with and she should have come back to you within a few days of telling you that she didn't want the listing.

Sticky situation for sure. If I were you I think I would have to tell her I was deeply hurt and greatly offended. Having been a good friend for all these years and extending a welcoming hand including her in family gatherings and making yourself available to help resolve some personal issues? Does she really think that yourself and Charles sat around the kitchen table conspiring to snub her? I think you have already proven your integrity as a friend and should resent these insinuations. Life is to short. Tell her to take a hike or get over it. Perhaps wedding planning has her brain addled.

I SO do not do coded communications - I am a very linear thinker, and when someone tells me no, and gives a good reason, and makes me feel it was based on ethical concerns, and concerns about ruining our friendship, why would I even THINK about trying to talk her into changing her mind, especially since her arguments made sense? But she flat out says she never even said it: "Doesn't ring a bell. I never said that. NEVER." Why would I make it up?

I emailed Ian during the day, and finally around 7 PM he called me back. He acknowledged that Mitra is still hurt and angry. I didn't get the impression that she wants to talk. He suggested that I email her a short note asking her if we can agree there was a misunderstanding and move past it. I'm trying to write one, but I keep going to justification of why believe she said what she said.

And yes, I'm angry too. How dare she think I would deliberately snub her and rub her face in it by talking about hiring someone else unless I thought her representation was already off the table? And how dare she leap from acknowledging there was a misunderstanding right to end of the friendship?

She and Ian are getting married on April 16th. Should I wait to be disinvited, or just change my RSVP to "no?"

Charles is now pissed on my behalf, because I've been upset about this. And he needs to talk to Ian over the weekend about trimming all of Ian's overgrown shrubberies that are impinging on our driveway.

Diana, most humans do not think linear. That is a special skill granted to a small percentage of humans. Most of us think all over the place. One of the hardest things I have to do is tell myself that another persons perception is theirs NOT mine and how I see things is not the same. I know you don't practice criminal law but one thing I learned in my criminal law paralegal studies was eye witnesses tend to filter what they see thru their own experiences. That's why eye witnesses CAN be biased and wrong...video has helped eliminate that as a problem. We see what we want to see and much of it is filtered by our own experiences.

Add to that the difference in culture between how she was raised and how you were raised. As you say, she is from a very traditional Iranian family and while yes, they live here, she is still seeped to the core with those traditions. Family traditions are VERY hard to break.

I know it's hard but step back and breathe...don't say no, just wait to see what happens. Let Charles handle the box in storage as well as overgrown shrubbery.

You have a right to choose whatever agent you want. It would have been even harder to give her the listing and then in 3-6 months have to fire her if she doesn't sell it.

Losing a friend is not easy but friends are a part of a cycle...some are for a reason, some for a season and some for life. Sounds like she was a season. Very few are for life.

You have a right to be angry and hurt. She is behaving like a petulant child.

Providing justification only gives weight to Mitra's false notion that you did something to her which would require justification. I think an "I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding and would like to put it behind us - let's have coffee next week" is both gracious and sufficient.

If you wish to keep the friendship in the future, you should plan to go to the wedding, unless specifically disinvited. If you don't, your absence will cause an irreparable rift.

I will admit my memory isn't my greatest asset. However, I will confess to experiencing deja vu upon reading this. This sounds to me like a repeat of a previous posting. Not that your neighbor got butt hurt, rather that you discussed not hiring her for the reasons you stated.

I don't know if the commission is more important than she is willing to admit (even to herself) or what ever may be going on in her head. As Liz said, losing a friend is hard. However if the friendship is based more on financial advantage it doesn't sound like much of a loss.

I haven't read it all. Just your first post...and while I'm sorry you lost a "friend," I am BEYOND DELIGHTED that you are not listing with her.

1--she's a part-time agent/part-time hairdresser and for 5-6% of YOUR sales price, you don't need a part-timer;
2--I so hated the idea, I looked up her stats (several weeks ago), and she just hasn't sold that many houses. (I just didn't tell you because you are loyal beyond reason.)

You would not settle for a surgeon with similar stats and you have insurance to cover screw-ups. If this chick loses you tens of thousands...you are just out that money.

Consider yourself VERY LUCKY.

Now I'll go read the rest.

ETA...send Charles to get the box out of storage, find a new hairdresser, and PLEASE use the stager that did the house your kids rented. It went for many tens of thousands more than you thought was a ridiculously high asking price. (I wonder if you picked the cute guy I thought I liked best...lol)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back