For what sorts of reasons have veterans had to seek treatment...?

For what sorts of reasons have veterans had to seek treatment...?

• Malnutrition

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Gallbladder

• kidney stones/disease

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • UTI/urinary tract issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Constipation/bowel troubles

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • dehydration

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • GYN issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Headaches/neurological

• Total voters

juliebird4828

The nurse in me carries concern about the need for treatments and hospitalization that they feel is related to having had the DS. (Malnutrition, what else- UTI, kidney stones, gallbladder disease, bowel obstructions....?) I recognize that I am likely at far more risk related to the reasons for obesity- but I know those- all to well. I know the problems/risks associated with surgery in general. I always want to know in advance what the worst case scenario is...or is that worry? :)

After a decade, much lower risks than having diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. I would be dead by now without it. Just two:
Anemia requiring iron infusions.
Broken bones (wrist and femur) after a fall, possibly related to DS, or a combination of age and DS.

After a decade, much lower risks than having diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. I would be dead by now without it. Just two:
Anemia requiring iron infusions.
Broken bones (wrist and femur) after a fall, possibly related to DS, or a combination of age and DS.
Thanks KathrynK. I hope your fractures healed well! How far out were you before the infusions were required- and have you started and then always had them?

I have had three iron infusions in 10 years. The first was about year 4 and then every 3 years or so. Some people absorb iron better than I do, so some DS patients haven't needed them.
The bones healed well and I have same-age friends who are having hip replacements and knee replacements. Not me. I am over 65, and I have balance issues due to pre-DS drugs for seizures. Not totally DS related.

Kidney stones -- LOTS of kidney stones. My kidneys are calcium oxalate pinatas. But I had one a year before DS and three stones 37 years (!) before that. The issue is improper calcium absorption caused part by bad genes, part by DS and part by PPIs (or H2 blockers) as they impair calcium absorption as well. [A kidney stone researcher said he didn't feel a DS would cause kidney stones unless you are genetically meant to have kidney stones.] Prevention is drinking about 105 ounces a day.

I'm almost 14 years out and almost 64 years old.
  • Iron infusions after 5 years. So much better than taking iron pills - no gut issues and only happens once every 18 mo to 3 years.
  • I had a REALLY bad case of food poisoning that I thought was a bowel obstruction. Had to have an emergency CT scan (fortunately I was in SF at the time and went directly to Rabkin's office and radiology department, which had a special DS protocol).
  • I've been having minor liver issues which are probably because of pre-existing obesity-related fatty liver, but which also seem to have been exacerbated by high doses of Vitamins A and D3 - I backed off them a bit and my liver enzymes came down. My vitamin levels are still good, just not at the tip-top of the normal ranges.
  • My bone density is no longer 2.5X normal, and some of it is my fault for not getting enough exercise. And some of it from getting older.
  • My blood pressure is so low (about 95/55) I have to eat a lot of salt (maybe that's a little bit of a boast, but I do have to be careful about staring up quickly and raising my arms over my head).
  • I had irritable bowel and GERD before my DS, and I still do. I have to take a double dose of PPIs to keep the GERD in check. I'm having an endoscopy (it's been at least 6 years, so I'm due) on Friday. But I'm more conscious of what triggers my guts so the issues are less of a problem these days. But it still takes me 3-4 hours every morning to finish pooping, just like it did before my DS, so it's good that I work remotely and rarely make appointments for before 11 am.

I had to have my gallbladder out six months after my DS. Suspect it had been bad since I was 14 but the rapid weight loss made it obvious.

I have osteoporosis but mine is age/genetics more than DS. My Mother had a dowager's hump and shrunk 3 inches

I have Secondary RLS that is an issue if my ferritin or iron sat % gets too low.

I'm similar to Clematis, and had kidney stones prior to my DS, and think I could battle them easier if I hadn't had any WLS, but know there are genetics at play with me as well, with high oxalates, and siblings, father, grandfather ect all being "calcium oxalate pinatas" (still laughing about Clematis term).

I've had some issues with adhesions, and my gallbladder removed, and the surgeon took down adhesions at the same time. I have to say that despite these inconveniences, I had a slew of existing and growing issues pre-op, that are no long issues, and all prescriptions for them are gone (very high cholesterol, high blood sugar, erratic blood pressure and a ton of shit related to PCOS - all resolved)

• Iron infusions after 5 years. So much better than taking iron pills - no gut issues and only happens once every 18 mo to 3 years.
  • I had a REALLY bad case of food poisoning that I thought was a bowel obstruction. Had to have an emergency CT scan (fortunately I was in SF at the time and went directly to Rabkin's office and radiology department, which had a special DS protocol).
  • I've been having minor liver issues which are probably because of pre-existing obesity-related fatty liver, but which also seem to have been exacerbated by high doses of Vitamins A and D3 - I backed off them a bit and my liver enzymes came down. My vitamin levels are still good, just not at the tip-top of the normal ranges.
  • My bone density is no longer 2.5X normal, and some of it is my fault for not getting enough exercise. And some of it from getting older.
  • My blood pressure is so low (about 95/55) I have to eat a lot of salt (maybe that's a little bit of a boast, but I do have to be careful about staring up quickly and raising my arms over my head).
  • I had irritable bowel and GERD before my DS, and I still do. I have to take a double dose of PPIs to keep the GERD in check. I'm having an endoscopy (it's been at least 6 years, so I'm due) on Friday. But I'm more conscious of what triggers my guts so the issues are less of a problem these days. But it still takes me 3-4 hours every morning to finish pooping, just like it did before my DS, so it's good that I work remotely and rarely make appointments for before 11 am.
Diana, since you get the periodic infusions, do you not need to take the iron pills? I am having a terrible time getting my down and keeping them down.

There's a smidge of iron in my prenatal, but not enough to make a difference. I tried to take various forms of iron for a year, and they all made me uncomfortable from one end of my GI tract to the other. Infusions are a lifesaver.

I'm a bit over 3 years out. I have not had any specific ones you list. I have sought treatment for:
  • Internal hernia with bowel obstruction X2
  • Anal fissure
  • Perianal abscess with fistula
  • Large incisional ventral hernia
  • Appendicitis with appendectomy (a week ago today! yay!) This left me with a massive hematoma at the site of incision that will possibly take months to resorb.
  • Decreased bone density (just discovered on CT last week)
  • Iron-deficient anemia - treating with infusions
  • Chronically low Vitamin D - following up with an endocrinologist
  • Chronic constipation that I've managed so far with fat, colace, miralax, and fluid intake.

Kidney stones -- LOTS of kidney stones. My kidneys are calcium oxalate pinatas. But I had one a year before DS and three stones 37 years (!) before that. The issue is improper calcium absorption caused part by bad genes, part by DS and part by PPIs (or H2 blockers) as they impair calcium absorption as well. [A kidney stone researcher said he didn't feel a DS would cause kidney stones unless you are genetically meant to have kidney stones.] Prevention is drinking about 105 ounces a day.
I don't like the stones, I like that you took the time to respond :)

Thanks for the reply! I have GERD too, not too terrible though- worst with certain foods which I have and will cut back on.

Latest posts

Back