Fat Pads on feet

Pattycake813

Has anyone experienced struggle with sudden loss of the fat Pads on the heels or balls of their feet?

I've never really had pain in my feet unless I wear unpractical shoes, but lately I've had intense pain in my heel and the balls of my feet, especially while walking barefoot.

The podiatrist said that I have no fat pad left at all on my left heel and under my big toe and pinky toe, and they are extremely thin on my right foot.

He suggested that as I lose so much weight so quickly and have a low caloric intake, my body could be burning any fat pocket it can find

He also admitted that he had never had any WLS patients before and doesn't really understand it

I also just had a body assessment which showed I still have 30% body fat, so I can't imagine that my body would be resorting to eating the soles of my feet.

Not going to lie, the podiatrist is young and maybe I could stand to find a more experienced one.

I figured the experience on here is quite abundant, so anyone run into this sort of thing?

I know I lost fat on my feet but not sure about the pads. My shoe size changed. Went from an 8W-8.5Wto a 7 B (normal width) - 7.5 B.

I've had both experiences - loss of padding on bottoms of feet and smaller/narrower shoe size. Just assumed it was the nearly 200lb weight loss! It is uncomfortable sometimes, like you especially barefoot, but also in heels without enough padding for the balls of the feet. I started adding padding that I bought at the drug store which helps some with higher shoes and started wearing 'UGG-type' slippers instead of bare feet at home. Not sure what I'll do in summer!

Me too. And my eye prescription changed too because I lost the fat pads around my eyeballs! Now I almost always wear 'good' shoes and I add an extra cushioning insole. Problem solved!

Thanks! I definitely never considered my feet to be a fat part of my body, but I have gone from needing 10.5-12 to being a pretty much a 9.5-10 nearly all of the time.

I LOVE to be barefoot...So maybe I will invest in some nice carpet for the family room with super thick padding, and throw on the slippers for the hardwood in the rest of the house.

I've lost 150 lbs so far so I'd call this definitely a very small price to pay.

Glad to know I'm semi- normal. :)

Me too. And my eye prescription changed too because I lost the fat pads around my eyeballs! Now I almost always wear 'good' shoes and I add an extra cushioning insole. Problem solved!
Interesting...I have an eye doctor appt on Friday so we'll see if I have that experience as well! So far just dealing with my glasses always slipping down!

Yes, you do change eye prescriptions. I had my yearly eye exam only 2 months after my DS. They changed even by then BUT due to be diabetic, my eye exams were medically covered not just because I needed glasses. My ophthalmologist suggested I wait to get new glasses and have a repeat exam 6 months later (2 in one year and both covered by insurance, one under medical and one under our employer vision plan). So, I did have my second one about October when I was at normal BMI. They had changed quite a bit in just that 6 months. And my face had lost considerable weight.

Latest posts

Back