Enhanced Malabsorbtion and No Carbs

Big sigh of relief, it's over. The only casualty was our router. Casey, the big powerful Doberman, freaked out and tried to get behind a desk to hide. Well, we think he pulled on a cord, caused a fluctuation in power and it fried our router. $300 down the drain. Replaced it and the new one is up and running. We are going to use a rental from Cox for a while. The one that died was only a year old. Our doorbell/security camera is still down but everything else is up and running.

The fireworks were terrible as predicted. For about 12 hours. When I went out the next day the whole driveway and yard were covered with debris. But surprise, when we got home it was all cleaned up. I guess the neighbors who set them off came and cleaned up the mess. Or made their kids do it!

Cheat day was food paradise as usual. We had Chinese food. ice cream, and chili dogs. And 2 donuts. We wanted Great Harvest bread but nope. They were closed for the 4th on the 5th. Next free food day is Labor Day.

Well, the mask mandate is now back in place starting Friday. We started masking again a couple weeks ago just because we KNEW all those people going without were lying about their vaccination status. So thanks antivaxxers. School kids have to wear masks now too. I guess I should be grateful that we got through the hottest part of the summer without having to wear masks. I also checked my collection of sanitizer, paper towels and toilet paper. We are golden.

Just because we are depressed about having to go through this whole shit show yet again we decided August needed a cheat day. We picked August 2nd, Monday. So far bagels, cream cheese, and Fat Boys(ice cream sandwiches) are on the list. I should feel guilty but, meh, I don't. Also set up a reminder for myself for 10/1 to get flu shots. Would hate to have to go to the hospital/doctor for the flu and end up with COVID on top of it. Maybe there will be COVID booster shots available by then too.

I have done a lot of reading about previous pandemics and this one could last longer than the rest of my life. I have decided I have no problem with making the vaccine required for all. Period. I am tired of giving up my personal freedom to accommodate people refusing to take a simple shot. My rant for the day. I guess I am tired of feeling like there is nothing I can control about this whole mess.

Well, the mask mandate is now back in place starting Friday. We started masking again a couple weeks ago just because we KNEW all those people going without were lying about their vaccination status. So thanks antivaxxers. School kids have to wear masks now too. I guess I should be grateful that we got through the hottest part of the summer without having to wear masks. I also checked my collection of sanitizer, paper towels and toilet paper. We are golden.

Just because we are depressed about having to go through this whole shit show yet again we decided August needed a cheat day. We picked August 2nd, Monday. So far bagels, cream cheese, and Fat Boys(ice cream sandwiches) are on the list. I should feel guilty but, meh, I don't. Also set up a reminder for myself for 10/1 to get flu shots. Would hate to have to go to the hospital/doctor for the flu and end up with COVID on top of it. Maybe there will be COVID booster shots available by then too.

I have done a lot of reading about previous pandemics and this one could last longer than the rest of my life. I have decided I have no problem with making the vaccine required for all. Period. I am tired of giving up my personal freedom to accommodate people refusing to take a simple shot. My rant for the day. I guess I am tired of feeling like there is nothing I can control about this whole mess.
I am fully vaccinated but still where a mask in crowded spaces. I am bothered because it seems social distancing is just a distant memory here. I wear a mask when I have to interact closely with people ( closer than 6 feet). I wear it in the post office the bank etc…. In my past I had a job that required public contact. I wear my mask out of respect for these workers. They have no way of knowing who is vaccinated.

The problem is we are taking it on faith that maskless people have been vaccinated. I wear my mask gladly if it could save one person from getting COVID. I have lost family and friends to this deadly virus. I watch 2 friends who survived COVID but have permanent health issues from the virus. Wearing a mask, getting vaccinated, and social distancing are small prices to pay to remain healthy.

Munchkin, my daughter just last weeks saw Fat Boy mint chocolate chip ice cream bars at a local specialty grocery and we bought a box. Haven't tried one yet, but she was very excited that there was a mint sandwich! I'll try to save one for myself to try on August 2 in solidarity with your cheat day!

I have J&J and am thinking about getting a Pfizer or Moderna mix-n-match - but waiting a bit to see if they make a booster specific to Delta.

I wear a mask when around children under 12 (even outdoors), when in stores, and when visiting Dad in memory care. Actually, in memory care, all guests and staff are required to wear masks, but there's another looming concern - there's a lot of people infected with C-Diff, newly including three people on my Dad's floor, so I'll be taking sanitation and gear status to next level there for the foreseeable future.

Munchkin, my daughter just last weeks saw Fat Boy mint chocolate chip ice cream bars at a local specialty grocery and we bought a box. Haven't tried one yet, but she was very excited that there was a mint sandwich! I'll try to save one for myself to try on August 2 in solidarity with your cheat day!

I have J&J and am thinking about getting a Pfizer or Moderna mix-n-match - but waiting a bit to see if they make a booster specific to Delta.

I wear a mask when around children under 12 (even outdoors), when in stores, and when visiting Dad in memory care. Actually, in memory care, all guests and staff are required to wear masks, but there's another looming concern - there's a lot of people infected with C-Diff, newly including three people on my Dad's floor, so I'll be taking sanitation and gear status to next level there for the foreseeable future.
My favorite is the plain vanilla but Fat Boys are the bomb. Let it sit a bit before you eat it. Needs to be a bit squishy to enjoy the full experience.

Another cheat day done and dusted. No Fat Boys anywhere. Sniff.

But I did have a bagel, half a baguette, half a cantaloupe, a banana, and a pint of ice cream. It was delicious.

fruit is cheating?!
I was thinking the same thing. I had cantaloupe with my cottage cheese the other day and I eat strawberries every now and then.
I make sure I get my protien in and then just try to make sure my calories stay below to make sure I keep losing.
Munchkin, I'm so sorry you absorb differently. I am happy you have learned to live with it and I love hearing the excitement in your posts when you share your cheat day menu with us.

I was thinking the same thing. I had cantaloupe with my cottage cheese the other day and I eat strawberries every now and then.
I make sure I get my protien in and then just try to make sure my calories stay below to make sure I keep losing.
Munchkin, I'm so sorry you absorb differently. I am happy you have learned to live with it and I love hearing the excitement in your posts when you share your cheat day menu with us.
As long as protein and fat come first, and you make sure the fruit you eat fits in your carb allowanc, it’s fine. The biggest issue with fruit is it’s pushed as “natural sugar” but sugar is sugar esp once inside your mouth where you start absorbing sugar.

Yes, for me fruit is cheating. Outside of cheat days, I probably average 10 bites of fruit a year. We both love bananas and cantaloupe and it is summer so fruit was a logical cheat. One of the reasons I loved buffets was that I could eat a single bite of watermelon or pineapple.

Many of us can eat fruit in moderation. But always keep in mind that sugar is sugar is sugar. Sugar is vegan. Doesn't matter if it is in a Starbucks Mocha or watermelon. It is still sugar.

There is one guy who posts on OH. SADI, not a true DS. In the summer he says he eats 30lbs of fruit a month. Blows me away that he can eat like that. But, I guess he can!

I eat a piece of fruit daily but I’m at goal, maintaining, and 10.5 years out. I adore bananas but I think I’ve had one this year. Even as a diabetic they were way too high in sugar.

Latest posts

Back