Dry Eyes and Omega 3

mlleelise

I am 8 years out since my DS surgery and have severely dry eyes. I use gel eye drops every hour My eye doctor has encouraged me to take omega 3, which I take daily in a liquid form. However, I know that we DSers eliminate much of the oil we take in. Eating fish would help - but my husband can't stand the smell in the house, so I rarely eat it. I also am limited in eating nuts, because I have oxalate kidney stones. I do take Dry-E daily, eat avocados and flax seed when I can.
My question is: Am I wasting money on Omega 3 in liquid form, if it is just eliminated by my system?
Any ideas on how to get the Omega 3s I need to help combat dry eyes, skin and hair??
I appreciate any advice.

Dry eyes can be linked to a vitamin A deficiency. It almost made me go blind. Please check your A levels and take dry A.

Thank you for your repsonse! I do take dry vit A, and, so far, my levels are good. The doctor attributes my dry eyes to 3 eye and lid surgeries I have needed over the last 3 years. I take Coromega Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplement, 650mg in packets every day... just not sure if this is absorbed. What do others use to obtain Omega 3/6? (aside from fish and nuts)

Have you had your tear ducts plugged? I have dry eye too. Also probably from eye surgery years ago. I was told to do this next if I couldn't manage to keep up with the drops.

Look for Coromega...they make gummies and other “dry” formula omega 3’s.

Is this the stuff?

Coromega MAX High Concentrate Omega 3 Fish Oil, 2400mg Omega-3s with 3X Better Absorption Than Softgels, 30 Single Serve Packets, Citrus Burst Flavor; Anti Inflammatory Supplement with Vitamin D

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you had your tear ducts plugged? I have dry eye too. Also probably from eye surgery years ago. I was told to do this next if I couldn't manage to keep up with the drops.
Hi there - Yes, I do have my tear ducts plugged, but still, I scratch my corneas just by blinking - even using gel drops too.

As long as oil is not listed in the ingredient, it will work.
Unfortunately, the first ingredient is fish oil. Vegetable oil is also further down on the list. I'll try the gummies...but you'd have to eat quite a few to get enough Omega 3s! I found a company (Wiley's) that just started producing an Omega 3 concentrated powder, but right now it is only sold to food manufacturers who incorporate it in their products. I just wrote to them about purchasing some, as a consumer. I could put it in capsules myself. From my research, I have not found any other dry form of Omega 3s.
Thanks for your help - if anyone finds another option, please let me know!

As long as oil is not listed in the ingredient, it will work.

I could use a little clarification.... omega3 is a fatty acid.. which is a component of oils. Do you mean something like laboratory grade omegs 3 in a non oil binder/powder?Is it ever delivered without the glycerol backbone (which makes it a fat/ oil)? The coromega gummies I saw were 50 mg epa and 10 mg dha, about 20 x smaller than the paste (2400 mg omega 3 for both)

I get that DS people only absorb 20% of the fats, but 20% of 2400 is still 480 mg, about 10 times that of the gummies, assuming perfect absorption of the gummies... which probably is not true

I suspect fatty acids are absorbed at the same proportion as fats, even if they come in a non fat form

If you had pure omega 3... my guess is you'd only get the same 20% fraction. I'm surmising here, I dont know for sure. Here's the thought. Bile helps fat absorption in two steps

1)pancreatic lipase enters the small intestine, it breaks down the fats into free fatty acids and monoglycerides.

2)Bile salts envelop the fatty acids and monoglycerides to form micelles. Micelles have a fatty acid core with a water-soluble exterior. This allows efficient transportation to the intestinal microvillus.

DS people have less absorption because they have a smaller common channel where bile can act... This affects both step 1 and 2 for fats, and step 2 alone for fatty acids... unless , of course the omega 3 is delivered as a fat, in which case it is affected by both steps 1 and 2, just like any other fat

The takeaway... forget about the oil base.. just look at the omega 3 content. You won't get all of it, but you'll get an~20% fraction of it

Here is a description of fat metabolism from the net

"As stomach contents enter the small intestine, the digestive system sets out to manage a small hurdle, namely, to combine the separated fats with its own watery fluids. The solution to this hurdle is bile. Bile contains bile salts, lecithin, and substances derived from cholesterol so it acts as an emulsifier. It attracts and holds on to fat while it is simultaneously attracted to and held on to by water. Emulsification increases the surface area of lipids over a thousand-fold, making them more accessible to the digestive enzymes.

"Once the stomach contents have been emulsified, fat-breaking enzymes work on the triacylglycerols and diglycerides to severe fatty acids from their glycerol foundations. As pancreatic lipase enters the small intestine, it breaks down the fats into free fatty acids and monoglycerides. Yet again, another hurdle presents itself. How will the fats pass through the watery layer of mucus that coats the absorptive lining of the digestive tract? As before, the answer is bile. Bile salts envelop the fatty acids and monoglycerides to form micelles. Micelles have a fatty acid core with a water-soluble exterior. This allows efficient transportation to the intestinal microvillus. Here, the fat components are released and disseminated into the cells of the digestive tract lining.

Pardon the thinking out loud... but I found this when searching omega 3 powders. Looks like omega 3 does come without the glycerol backbone

I'd take the 5x more absorbable claim with a grain of (bile) salt if I had DS... The bile salt is still needed for absorption of fatty acids, and a person with DS just has a shorter channel for the absorption

Unless, of course, there is some other absorption mechanism with this stuff... whatever it is . Anyone know for sure?

Here is what they say.."AvailOm® avoids this step by providing a pre- converted complex which rapidly dissociates to the free fatty acid, enabling it to be absorbed immediately."

To me this means it needs the step 2 process for absorption, and would be limited in people with DS

Ref:

The technology behind AvailOm® allows EPA and DHA to be readily absorbed by the body without the need to be broken down prior uptake as in the case of standard ethyl ester or triglyceride forms. The bioavailability of AvailOm® powders has been confirmed in a clinical study to be more than five times higher than traditional liquid omega-3 soft-gels, even with a low-fat diet or on an empty stomach

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you - Georgepds and Southernlady - for the extra research! Yes, the powder form does come without the glycerol backbone. According to what Georgepds found, the omega 3 powder would be more than 5 times bioavailable, when compared to the omega 3 soft gels. The problem remains...where to purchase this. I have written to both Evonik Health Care and Wiley. We'll see if either responds...
Thanks again,

Latest posts

Back