Diarrhea: SIBO, C. diff or ?

Went to see the GI doc today. Diarrhea continues unabated. Just picked up a script for cholestyramine. Yuk. Plus it sequesters fat soluble vitamins - not that I’ve taken any for a week now.

If not better by the end of the month, there is a colonoscopy in my future - I told him that if he was going to knock me out to look up one end, he should also do another UGI at the same time. But the camera goes down my throat first!

Just for diarrhea - although it is possible that this is related to excess bile acids, I suppose. GB came out with my DS almost 16 years ago.

This has been going on for a while, right? Increasing lately. Have you ever had IBS or diverticulitis? Crohns?

Yes, the ass-peeing for about 10 days. I took my first dose of cholestyramine (YUUUCCCKKK!!) last night. Got up twice during the night to ass-pee, and woke up having a long nightmare about being around friends and family and constantly soiling myself. I’m wearing Depends to bed just in case and was surprised this morning that it was only a dream.

Prior to DS, I had IBS. Symptoms sort of merged with DS normal. I still have issues of it taking several hours to finish pooping every morning.

Diverticulitis not indicated on CT. WBC count was elevated a week ago Friday, but stool was negative for all the usual bad bugs and parasites. Current theory by GI doc is gastroenteritis that damaged gut lining that has to heal. But I’ve got an appointment for 4/26 if it doesn’t stop, at which point I get a colonoscopy 2 years before I’m due. :mad:

And we are leaving the area on 5/14 for 2.5 months. Fortunately, most of that time we’ll be in the Bay Area, and I can go back to see my old doctors - got the Medicare Plan G that is compatible with long-term RV travel. But I’m going to be 60 miles from them.

DianaCox - Grrr. So sorry this is persisting. Can you increase your calcium temporarily just because it is so binding and could maybe firm things up a bit? Also, please keep hydrating. I'm worried about you!

I’m hydrating adequately I think. The volume of ass-peeing is down, but it’s very urgent when it happens. Yesterday I had to spend 10 min on the toilet DURING the doctor’s appointment and again an hour later at Costco.

I haven’t taken any of my supplements for over a week because I’m constantly mildly nauseous. I really need to get back on track.

Well, the cholestyramine didn’t work. I called the GI doc and he told me to discontinue it (YAY! It’s GROSS!), and he prescribed a course of Xifaxan (an intestinal antibiotic - my third ABX script for this issue). That was early yesterday afternoon.

Then Walgreen’s sent a message that my script was delayed because of insurance issues. Then nothing. I got a notification early this afternoon that it was approved. Then nothing. I started calling at 5 - they had the script in queue, but they didn’t have enough pills to fill the whole script, so I could get started on what they have on had, and oh by the way, my charge (on my Part D Medicare Plan) was $408.15 - !!

I made several calls to see if this was correct, especially since I’ve already met my deductible for this year. UHC/AARP first said it was a mistake and the script should have been $145.98, but that too was wrong. Then they transferred me to their specialty pharmacy, which they said might be cheaper. They said it was ~$49 - PER PILL, x 42 (3 per day for 2 weeks). Yeah, no.

I’m not happy with this plan.

Latest posts

Back