Diarrhea: SIBO, C. diff or ?

That’s likely what it is. I have no issues with self-administering Flagyl for gas issues (I keep a stash on-hand, but haven’t used it for a year or two at least), but I feel pretty ill, so I want to be checked out first.

In case it is c diff—unlikely if we read down the thread—there were (when I had it) only three medications that are, theoretically, capable of curing c diff, and flagyl is one of them and where they start because it’s the cheapest. So if you self-dx and self-prescribe and self-deliver flagyl, you may have to do it over because proof doesn’t exist that you HAVE tried it.

[...says the woman who is on Day Three of her flagyl, but also has an appt with the guy who wrote that Rx. And my symptoms are most likely the result of the meds my uro has prescribed, and I have stopped and have replaced, and explained to him why we were going that way, with something that doesn’t have sorbitol...]

Unless you have been on antibiotics recently, C diff is unlikely. My vote would be for bacterial overgrowth. And any liquidy poop is going to smell awful, just consider how much extra surface area of poop there is when liquid vs solid. Your pcp (and/or you) may still want to be tested for C diff, but hopefully that's not what it is.

I WAS gonna tell her that dogs and MrSue can recognize “the fragrance of c diff.” But then...https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/5/8/ofy179/5056931

Felt well enough to go out to dinner in Tempe tonight. Then just before getting ready for bed, had another accident. :mad: I’d skipped on dose of Pepto (I HATE taking that crap).

At least I’m not fainty feeling and my bp is up to 99/58, which is relatively normal for me. No test results back yet.

There was a spider in the shower this afternoon. I almost had a heart attack.

Dammit. Although the ass-peeing has eased, I’m not feeling well at all this morning. Maybe the steroid injection from Friday wore off? I’m struggling to take my first dose of meds this morning - I’m afraid I might barf them up.

Dammit. Although the ass-peeing has eased, I’m not feeling well at all this morning. Maybe the steroid injection from Friday wore off? I’m struggling to take my first dose of meds this morning - I’m afraid I might barf them up.
I’m sorry you are still not feeling good. Just go slow with the meds since barfing them up will not get them in your system to help and you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY HATE barfing.

I take Zofran every night for my middle of the night nausea. I took one before trying to choke down the Flagyl, 5 Metamucil capsules, 2 Imodium and my antidepressant. All the other meds/supplements are a no-go. And I can’t face the Pepto this morning. I’m feeling very whiny right now.

Hmmm. Maybe an IV will help?

Can you do chicken bouillion crystals, not liquid, on your tongue? It can help with the erpiness.

I think I’m not dehydrated - I’m drinking reasonably well. My electrolytes might not be perfect though - I bought Gatorade but I hate the taste. Lemonade made with my own lemons, Sparkling Ice, and now some lime Perrier. Guts are getting crampy again.

I think I’m not dehydrated - I’m drinking reasonably well. My electrolytes might not be perfect though - I bought Gatorade but I hate the taste. Lemonade made with my own lemons, Sparkling Ice, and now some lime Perrier. Guts are getting crampy again.
Are you still taking Immodium? Pepto isnt as good for diarrhea.

Yes, I’m being religious about the Imodium. I’m not losing fluid from the diarrhea, although my poop is still fairly liquidy - but not frequent or large volume. I’m also taking the Metamucil 3 times/day. But I’m queasy and a little shaky.

Damn that steroid shot made me feel so much better so quickly! I thought he cured me! I guess not.

Waiting to hear back on the lab tests. Perhaps tomorrow.

I would gladly come and remove the spider from your bathroom if I lived close enough. They don't bother me at all. Now cockroaches, otoh...

Nope nope nope nope. Just having this conversation yesterday caused me to have a wake-up-in-a-panic nightmare about spiders in my hair! When I was about 20, I saw an exhibit at the Natural History Museum in DC which involved a see-through beehive with bees that lived outside and I have a recurring nightmare about getting swarmed and stung. And to think I’m a biologist!

Got a partial response from doctor - labs not yet in. One more day on current regimen - if not better by tomorrow, CT scan.

Just in case, does anyone know of what is the best regimen for prep and conducting a CT of the colon/intestines for DSers? Maybe I should give Rabkin’s office a call so I can tell my PCP what to order.

Latest posts

Back