Diarrhea: SIBO, C. diff or ?

Nope nope nope nope. Just having this conversation yesterday caused me to have a wake-up-in-a-panic nightmare about spiders in my hair! When I was about 20, I saw an exhibit at the Natural History Museum in DC which involved a see-through beehive with bees that lived outside and I have a recurring nightmare about getting swarmed and stung. And to think I’m a biologist!

Got a partial response from doctor - labs not yet in. One more day on current regimen - if not better by tomorrow, CT scan.

Just in case, does anyone know of what is the best regimen for prep and conducting a CT of the colon/intestines for DSers? Maybe I should give Rabkin’s office a call so I can tell my PCP what to order.

I whine until they let me use the bottled Mag Citrate for colonoscopies.

Rabkin’s response: just use approximately 1/4-1/2 the usual amount of oral contrast.

I’m totally good with that, if it comes to it. My belly is blown up like a balloon.

Rabkin’s response: just use approximately 1/4-1/2 the usual amount of oral contrast.

I’m totally good with that, if it comes to it. My belly is blown up like a balloon.
Sorry...my brain went south.

Keshishian writes, on the order, that I am to drink the contrast upon arrival at the imaging facility and then the CT must be completed in less than one hour.

Again, sorry...but I’m sure you were wise enough to ignore me.

Whew, I think. Nothing found in particular. My renal “incidentalomas” (low density kidney cysts) are bigger (up to 24 x 14 mm), I still have fibroids, and degenerative changes in my spine (so far, doesn’t hurt except my tailbone). What next? Still waiting on lab results and have an appointment with my GI doc on Friday.

I haven’t taken any GasX - about 10 min after I posted about not pooping, the diarrhea started up again (never trust a fart :mad:). STILL waiting for lab results.

Just in case, are they doing PCR for c diff?

One of my docs refused, saying it was overkill. Another insisted on it.

Last edited:
Most results back:
1) No infective agents (Salmonella, Shigella, C. diff) detected (ova and parasites still pending)

2) WBC count high 15.5 (top of range is 10.8), and alkaline phosphatase too. CO2 low.

Some kind of infection?

Most results back:
1) No infective agents (Salmonella, Shigella, C. diff) detected (ova and parasites still pending)

2) WBC count high 15.5 (top of range is 10.8), and alkaline phosphatase too. CO2 low.

Some kind of infection?

So maybe we’re hoping for some irritating but non-lethal creature you can kill off and get back to normal...right?

Yeh, but - I’m on day 6 of two ABX, and still have diarrhea. So I’m wondering if the cause is non-infectious.

Latest posts

Back