Appointment with Dr. K. Monday

Charris

Now an angel
Hey, everyone I'm on my way to LA to see Dr. Keshishian. I have a 10 am appointment on Monday. I should be at the hotel at 3am. My brother didn't want to come same day and go back the same day. He said it would be too hard on my body and may throw off the labs he's gonna take. So ill have Sunday to rest b4 seeing Dr.K. Anyone scheduled to be around his area this week?

I hope so. I was supposed to get labs done. I went to the lab 4 days in a row they could not get blood they poked me 4 times each visit and that's the max allowed. I have a perfectly good picc line but labs are not allowed to draw out of them. This sucks. I wanted him to be able to show/tell me if anything needs to be adjusted....

Girl, start guzzling water for 2 hours leading up to your draw. That was always me before a nurse told me that "do not eat for 12 hours before" does not mean "do not drink". I did that for my last couple of draws and it was a BREEZE. First time in my life I didn't have multiple sticks by multiple people and multiple tears from me!

I got on this thread to tell you good luck tomorrow. Then, I read your above post. Damn, I hope your appointment goes well and you get some clear guidance.

XO!

You driving or flying?

When do you go back to AZ?

Let me know, because I will be in the area, but we may miss each other by a day or two.

Girl, start guzzling water for 2 hours leading up to your draw. That was always me before a nurse told me that "do not eat for 12 hours before" does not mean "do not drink". I did that for my last couple of draws and it was a BREEZE. First time in my life I didn't have multiple sticks by multiple people and multiple tears from me!

@brooklyngirl is 100% right Charris. Actually though, need to start more hydration 4-6 hrs before the draw. Its from what's called "roll over veins". I have them too and my personal record is SEVEN sticks! The poor young Women attempting to withdraw my blood was crying, she was SOO upset. I was trying to calm her down with a little light humor and kindly asked her to go get the "Head Vampira" to get my blood. They brought in some sassy old lady that got it in the first stick. I finally calmed her down and we all had a good laugh over it. BUT....even slight dehydration makes those roll over veins a lot worse. Also, don't take any allergy medicines, histamines etc before you go because that will increase dehydration and raise your blood pressure, that makes em roll over too.

Best wishes and luck to you, I know you've been through a lot, but you're keeping your focus and that's the most important thing!

Last edited:
However, do not drink SODA or anything with sugar or cream. Stick to water or, IF so inclined, BLACK coffee or plain tea.

I don't have 'rollover" veins...I have the kind of veins phlebotomists drool over! But if I am dehydrated, I can be a hard stick.

@brooklyngirl is 100% right Charris. Actually though, need to start more hydration 4-6 hrs before the draw. Its from what's called "roll over veins". I have them too and my personal record is SEVEN sticks! The poor young Women attempting to withdraw my blood was crying, she was SOO upset. I was trying to calm her down with a little light humor and kindly asked her to go get the "Head Vampira" to get my blood. They brought in some sassy old lady that got it in the first stick. I finally calmed her down and we all had a good laugh over it. BUT....even slight dehydration makes those roll over veins a lot worse. Also, don't take any allergy medicines, histamines etc before you go because that will increase dehydration and raise your blood pressure, that makes em roll over too.

Best wishes and luck to you, I know you've been through a lot, but you're keeping your focus and that's the most important thing!
I wish 7 sticks was my best. Even when I had the DS Dr. K came in and said I have a line of nurses out in the hall they are all going to take 2 pokes at you this surgery is too extensive to do under a local. So after the first 5 people went they were able to get one but as usual it was too small dr . K said thats ok its enou good to get her to sleep and we can find another vein after she's sleep. When I. Had my daughter I was stuck over 20 times tge anesthesiologist was sticking me with lidocaine and then digging around saying I hope this is not a muscle. WTF? MY MOM mom stole a needle and started it. When I used to go to the lab they would eventually give me the vials and say have your mom draw,this and bring it back. Lol My mom was an RN in ER but she was always on the Swat team. Dang the small things you don't appreciate until its gone.

I don't understand, I know my veins are very small and scarred but a lot of times they get in the 3 veins that are better and the blood drips out so slow by the time u get one vial the blood has hemolized.

Latest posts

Back