Ranting here about Progressive

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
So I can get my thoughts in order and the timeline straight before I go more Southern Mad Woman on them.

We have had a Progressive Full Time RV policy since March 2017. We went thru USAA as they are a preferred partner with USAA and USAA does not insure our size rig, especially full time. Now as of this year, I’ve been a member for 39 years. That means something with USAA, means quite a lot actually.

Anyway, when we arrived in WV in the first week of Jan 2022, we discovered broken spring hanger shackles and a rear axle about to depart the rig. Thankfully we made it to the park and unlike 95% of RV parks, this was has bent over backward about our repairing our rig on site and not being able to move the rig for months. Actually it was Memorial Day weekend before we could move. We also lucked up in that this park catered to pipeline welders and one was willing to help us weld new shackles back to the rig.

But before making any vacation type trips we wanted to verify the repair was in specifications with Lippert, the manufacturer of the frame. So we drove to Elkhart, IN. That was Aug 2021. When we got back to WV, we saw what looked like a stress crack which is a hairline type crack in fiberglass

Those cracks are easy to repair. We’ve had others. No big deal.

So we schedule a repair trip and other small repairs for October. Get to the repair facility, who is a licensed facility for warranty repair for our brand of RV. The owner took one look and said, that’s not a stress crack. That’s a cracked weld in the frame. Then my husband asked, could the damage caused by the failed shackle cause this and he said “oh yes”.

So we get home and contact our WV adjuster and reopen our Jan claim based on the fact that the crack was caused by the Jan failure. He came out, took copious pictures but never came inside. Now in May he was not allowed but he never asked in October.

Okay, that brought us to Monday the 13th when we arrived at the repair shop in a good faith effort to get the crack weld repaired. The IN insurance adjuster came out Monday morning to verify the damage. It was worse than October and when he went into the rig he also found a crack along the same area inside.

Wednesday, Charles was contacted by Progressive about our March Renewal and it was royally screwed up. They had no record of us being USAA members. So while he was on the phone with Progressive, I called USAA and made a complaint about the way a preferred partner was handling a member. They do not like hearing reports like that.

On Thursda, I took to social media, Progressive‘s messaging. And let them have it but no rude words. I got a response from Corporate and then it went down to include the WV adjuster’s boss who called us personally.

That is where I got lied to. They flat told me the first time they saw photos of the crack was Monday the 13th. What in the hell happened to the ones taken in Oct when you had almost two months to make a determination? But they said that’s why it took all week to decide to do a tear down of the wall to see the damage.

Now because of their delay, we’ve had rain coming into that wall of the rig. Water and rigs don’t mix when it’s inside the wall. They contacted a third party and asked them, could the shackle failure cause this damage? They said maybe, but all they saw were photos.

I ended my diatribe with “Either fix it or total it. And restart the clock on our trip interruption. We need a decision, Affinity needs a decision.”

Rod at Affinity told us to drive it home. We have another appointment on Feb 7th but hope to be in a house or closing on a house soon. If that’s the case, we will delay that trip. Take it over, spend a night, drop it off, and come home til it’s fixed or they tell us it’s totaled.

This is the crack as the IN adjuster saw it on Monday the 13th

This is what that same crack looked like the night we stayed in Ohio

It hasn’t gotten any worse since Ohio.

Last edited:
Hope this gets straightened out for you ASAP. Sorry for the hassle and runaround!

RV repairs can be very frustrating, especially when there is insurance and warranties involved. I feel your pain.

Latest posts

Back