What the feck just happened????

That's great, Kathryn. It takes courage to stand up to bullies. Your actions are much more admirable then those who are destroying property in protest and a helluva a lot more productive. I absolutely support protests as I've participated in a few myself. (Think back to May, 1970. I was at Ohio State & tear gas stings. I wasn't gassed directly, yet it clung to the grass and when I touched my face after coming into contact with that grass it was enough to make me glad that was my only exposure.)

There has to be hundreds of things that can be done that is productive and respectful to others.

@Munchkin I love your input! Every politician over promises and, yes, it will be interesting when Trump won't be able to build the wall, nuke whoever, and whatever else crazy idea he had. Your thought about the RNC allowing the nomination with impeachment possible isn't unimaginable. I truly believe that both major parties are controlled by snakes with money. All of us are being duped in one way or another.

I saw a meme chastising people to research things, that ignorance is a choice. Maybe. I, along with millions, distrust the media. Any and/or all of it. I see an overabundance of opinion being presented as fact. I'm guilty of that in that I have a lot of thoughts I can't prove. Like my statement about snakes being in charge and we're being duped. I can't prove it, yet in my gut I believe it.

I do believe the country is headed for very challenging times. There will be fractures, bruises, and other things that will harm us. I'm naïve enough to believe that nothing will be fatal. Painful? Yes. Slow to heal? Yes. Fatal? It may come close, but it will not kill us.
Actually, I think they plan to impeach Pence too. Putting Paul Ryan in office. And I think that's what they wanted all along.

Actually, I think they plan to impeach Pence too. Putting Paul Ryan in office. And I think that's what they wanted all along.

Interesting. Just wondering why the party didn't distance themselves from Trump and show more support to Ryan if that's what they wanted. I had heard that Trump was in the mix to present a candidate so detestable that people would vote for Clinton. If there's any truth to that, it's on to Plan B because that failed miserably.

I've seen petitions urging the Electoral College members to vote Clinton in using supposed "loop holes".

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Interesting. Just wondering why the party didn't distance themselves from Trump and show more support to Ryan if that's what they wanted. I had heard that Trump was in the mix to present a candidate so detestable that people would vote for Clinton. If there's any truth to that, it's on to Plan B because that failed miserably.

I've seen petitions urging the Electoral College members to vote Clinton in using supposed "loop holes".

I think the GOP had to treat Trump with caution because they didn't want to alienate his supporters. If a Republican went against him, Trump supporters would reject him/her (look what happened to Joe Heck in Nevada). So people like Ryan ended up walking spineless lines of endorsing, but not campaigning, with Trump.

BTW, on a personal note, I hope I didn't get too heated in my responses to any of your posts. I completely understand you're just asking questions and trying to understand other people's points of view. That's a lot more than I'm doing right now and you're to be applauded for that.

Many held their nose and voted or voted down ballot only. And far too many just stayed away and did not vote.

Best thing that can happen now is for EVERYONE to remember that they can't complain if they didn't bother to vote. While protesting makes sense...the senseless destruction of property and violence does not. Free speech and PEACEFUL demonstrations go far better than what is happening at the moment.

To fix this means getting involved at your neighborhood/city/county/ and then state level to change things. And that applies to ALL sides.

There is zero chance of Clinton being elected. I don't like the outcome but the system is what it is. It needs to be changed to eliminate the electoral college or bring the number of votes per state in line with current population so that proper votes are given.

Many held their nose and voted or voted down ballot only. And far too many just stayed away and did not vote.

Best thing that can happen now is for EVERYONE to remember that they can't complain if they didn't bother to vote. While protesting makes sense...the senseless destruction of property and violence does not. Free speech and PEACEFUL demonstrations go far better than what is happening at the moment.

To fix this means getting involved at your neighborhood/city/county/ and then state level to change things. And that applies to ALL sides.
Agreed... fact is if the Dem turnout had been anywhere near the last 3 elections she would have won in a landslide. Bernie Bots who "showed the DNC" and certain groups who sat home for whatever reason, elected Trump. Trump received the same amount of votes as McCain and Romney, HRC simply didn't receive the amount of votes of the last 3 candidates for the Dem party. Nobody to blame but those folks.

I think the GOP had to treat Trump with caution because they didn't want to alienate his supporters. If a Republican went against him, Trump supporters would reject him/her (look what happened to Joe Heck in Nevada). So people like Ryan ended up walking spineless lines of endorsing, but not campaigning, with Trump.

BTW, on a personal note, I hope I didn't get too heated in my responses to any of your posts. I completely understand you're just asking questions and trying to understand other people's points of view. That's a lot more than I'm doing right now and you're to be applauded for that.

Oh, sweetie, I appreciate your honesty. Despite the notions about voting for a third party candidate being stupid, a waste of a vote, yada yada yada, that's what I did. While I understand what people liked and/or disliked about Clinton and Trump, I just could not vote for either. I couldn't even do what I've done in the past, vote for the lesser of two evils. I wanted to complain with a clean conscious.

As I said, don't lose your passion. In my opinion, apathy is more harmful to the soul than passion. I have enjoyed exchanging ideas with you and everybody on this forum. I truly believe everyone here, as in the world outside of this forum, wants what they think is the best way for the USA to be governed. I also don't think there is much value in stereotyping people. I know a hard core Republican who supports pro-choice and a hard core Democrat that opposes abortion. That's not the way it's supposed to be. Oh, and by the way that Republican is an atheist and the Democrat is a deeply committed Christian. More stereotype busting!

One more not so rhetorical question: why aren't the peaceful protestors getting more coverage in the media?

Oh, sweetie, I appreciate your honesty. Despite the notions about voting for a third party candidate being stupid, a waste of a vote, yada yada yada, that's what I did. While I understand what people liked and/or disliked about Clinton and Trump, I just could not vote for either. I couldn't even do what I've done in the past, vote for the lesser of two evils. I wanted to complain with a clean conscious.

As I said, don't lose your passion. In my opinion, apathy is more harmful to the soul than passion. I have enjoyed exchanging ideas with you and everybody on this forum. I truly believe everyone here, as in the world outside of this forum, wants what they think is the best way for the USA to be governed. I also don't think there is much value in stereotyping people. I know a hard core Republican who supports pro-choice and a hard core Democrat that opposes abortion. That's not the way it's supposed to be. Oh, and by the way that Republican is an atheist and the Democrat is a deeply committed Christian. More stereotype busting!

One more not so rhetorical question: why aren't the peaceful protestors getting more coverage in the media?
MOST of the media is too polarized in one way or the other to report much of anything honestly and without 'spin'. Big protest march in Vegas last night. More than 2000 people and it was peaceful.

a friend of mine just posted this:

Hillary lost by 12 k votes in Michigan. Stein received 50 k. Johnson 173k.

She lost Wisconsin by 27k. Johnson received 106k, Stein 31k.

Pennsylvania not much of a different story.

The lesson is, each vote matters. Clinton was the only one who had the potential to stop Trump. Not voting or not voting for her opened the door to Trump. Comey can't be blamed. Choices were made by each voter that brought us here. I don't blame any one individual voter, because each voter made what they thought was the right choice, maybe not imagining how it would influence the outcome. We now have a sexual predator in the White House, who is a white nationalist, and may be sympathetic to Russian totalitarianism. Did you see the KKK is having a victory rally? I have no quarrel with republicans and would have quietly been resigned to Romney or McCain, if they had won. This man is different. He just selected a white nationalist as chief strategist. His favorite book, according to his first wife, is Hitler's Mein Kompf. There isn't a single woman on his transition leadership and he scores women on a 10-point scale. Make America great again for white wealthy men. Sad that all of the struggling middle class people thought they were getting someone who would drain the swamp, he'll just drain their bank accounts. He just hired a bunch of lobbyists, who are only going to support big business. The middle class has been conned. History has been changed as a result of each voter's choices. That's democracy. Equal rights lost. Those who disagree with the outcome have to stand up in supporting the nonprofits that work against racism and sexism, supporting respected newspapers with independent journalists, and speaking out against the swasticas and assaults based on race or religion. Many of us feel that American values are at risk. Now, we have to stand up for what we believe in, or he will feel he can do anything.

Anyone in Washington DC who would let me sleep on their couch so I can go to the Million Woman march? Saturday, January 21st?

I agree with KathrynK about Comey. I think everybody had pretty much decided before his Oct. announcement. As far as having a sexual predator in the Whitehouse, that would have happened if Clinton won. The Donald is loud and crude about women and Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice by the House. The Senate saved his ass. I've never heard any of Trump's wives dismiss women as trailer trash, narcissistic looney tunes, or bimbos. I'm not defending Trump as much as I'm saying I think the choices the major parties gave us are equally flawed.

Promises? Obama was successful in making good on many. However his promise to fundamentally change the way Washington works was full of HOPE, but did not yield much CHANGE. If Trump is filling his team with insiders and catering to lobbyists, he's just carrying on a Washington tradition. Same game, different players. I don't have a team in the game. I wish I could be as fervent as a lot of people are about their team; just can't muster much enthusiasm for politics as usual.

I think the biggest answer is that entirely too many of us eligible voters DID NOT VOTE. The tea party-type rhetoric wave finally began to crest and Trump rode it along. The potential lists of cabinet members is scary. The known advisors is scarier. The already stated positions are even scarier yet (especially to this federal employee).

Latest posts

Back